Extra mat in trailer with sealed rubber floor?

LEquus

Visit site
I just bought a new Cheval Liberte Touring Country 2h trailer. It came with the rubber mat permanently sealed to the aluminium floor. The salesman said an extra mat on top wasn't necessary.
Debating now as I've removed the partition to travel my horse alone with full width bars. The tiny exposed bit where the divider was in the floor seems like it needs something to keep bedding and mess out of it.
Anyone have experience with this?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
No experience, other than you'd have to remember to left the extra mat to air it and clean out the gully. Plus, though probably not an issue as you're traveling one, remember those mats weigh a decent amount.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'd get it super clean and dry and fIll it with black sealant, the stuff like is used round baths and sinks.

LEquus

Visit site
I'd get it super clean and dry and fIll it with black sealant, the stuff like is used round baths and sinks.
Is that removeable? At some point the divider will go back in.
If not another mat, I was thinking just cover the hole with some strong tape.
He doesn't seem to be one to wee in the trailer, but our hauls are usually only an hour.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Removable yes, but not easily, it would mostly peel out then the rest would have to be scraped with something like a screwdriver.

I doubt if you'll get tape to reliably stick to rubber, especially when he treads on it.

phizz4

Visit site
Our Bockmann trailer has totally sealed rubber matting and came with a removeable extra mat which we put under their front feet as that is where the wear is highest. If the matting has been sealedd correctly it will be sealed around the divider hole. You could plug the hole on a temporary basis by buying either a block of cork and shaping it to fit or one of those high density foam 'bricks' used in yoga and carve that to fit. If you have a handy person you can use a circular hole cutter on a drill to cut out a disk of the correct diameter. Something like this.
1597739864629.png

LEquus

Visit site
Our Bockmann trailer has totally sealed rubber matting and came with a removeable extra mat which we put under their front feet as that is where the wear is highest. If the matting has been sealedd correctly it will be sealed around the divider hole. You could plug the hole on a temporary basis...
I think a plug is exactly what I need. Something easily removeable. I was thinking tape would stick because the area around the divider hole is metal, but that still might get scraped off underfoot.
I am still thinking a thinner top mat might be a good idea just to save the floor from so much wear.

phizz4

Visit site
We've travelled hundreds of miles with the extra mats and had no problems. They don't move at all. If you use one of these, it is watertight. I used one (£4.99 from TKMaxx) to plug the drain holes in my sit on top kayak so if it keeps the sea water out it will stop wee getting in, just make sure it is a good, push, fit. Thread a thin piece of cord through the middle with a loop on the top so you can easily pull it out each time you finish with the trailer.
1597746522903.png

LEquus

Visit site
It won't be any more or less waterproof with the divider out, since there's not a seal around the peg. I just want to keep poo and bedding from getting packed in the hole and gumming it up for when the divider goes back in. Cheval makes additional mats for a reason. Mat(s) on top would keep the plug from getting stomped out and prolong the life of the sealed flooring so I'm just going to order.