Extremely worried - very sudden total lameness

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Apologies but I'm so very worried - our Connie will be 21 this June and up until a few weeks ago he was doing just fine. We've had him since he was 8, he's not been worked into the ground, mostly used for hacking. Never had any issues. One day he seemed to be struggling a little with his front right and having difficulty turning, so we rested him...next thing, he literally does not want to walk. We've tried to walk him out today but he is clearly not comfortable and looks incredibly stiff. I'm getting the vet out tomorrow but I'm shocked that he could deteriorate so quickly. It looks like it could be severe arthritis but can the onset be so sudden? I am so upset and worried, I'm thinking the unthinkable...but I just don't have any experience of this sort of thing. Can anyone help?

be positive

Visit site
Abcess? Most common cause of sudden, non-obvious lameness. Might be worth getting the farrier out for a dig around.
Also my first thought, they can be so lame it looks as if they have broken a leg, the relief when you realise it is an abscess is immense so don't panic too much, treat as an abscess and with luck it will prove to be nothing more sinister.

Nancykitt

Visit site
I did wonder if he had an abscess when he had the initial problem with his front right...there's no heat or obvious signs, but I know that they can have an abscess without this. However, it honestly looks like it's all four limbs today.
I suspect that the vet will use callipers to check for an abscess and I'll be throwing a party if that's all it is. But it does look so much worse to me. Also, how long can they have a non-obvious abscess before it bursts?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A horse in my area came down with laminitis a couple of days ago. Horse was fine one day and then the next was very, very reluctant to move.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If he is lame on all 4 legs, it is a veterinary emergency, get him onto a deep shavings bed while you wait for the vet. It could well be Cushings related laminitis, so I would ask for a Cushings test as well. This winter has been exceptionally mild and the grass is growing.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The feet are not always hot with laminitis often they can go really cold due to a lack of blood flow, do you know how to check his digital pulse? Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: DD

Nancykitt

Visit site
Vet is on the way. No digital pulses in any hoof but his absolute reluctance to put one foot in front of the other is very worrying. Will post later. Many thanks for the advice, he's never had lami in all his 20 years but it's obviously best to get it checked...I can't bear to think of him being in pain, poor lad.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Vet is on the way. No digital pulses in any hoof but his absolute reluctance to put one foot in front of the other is very worrying. Will post later. Many thanks for the advice, he's never had lami in all his 20 years but it's obviously best to get it checked...I can't bear to think of him being in pain, poor lad.

I really hope it's not laminitis keeping fingers crossed let us know how it goes x

Nancykitt

Visit site
I cannot thank you people enough - you are amazing.
Vet has been - bad news is that it is indeed acute laminitis.
Slightly better news (possibly) is that we might have caught it before any major damage has been done. Bloods will be done on Tuesday for Cushings.
But the best thing is that Finn is now much more comfortable with his foam 'platforms' and painkillers.
I feel so stupid that I didn't think of Lami but he's never suffered with it before and the lack of heat in the hooves put me off the trail. Vet agreed that the hooves weren't hot but said that the toes were sore - and he was doing a fair bit of weight-shifting between feet.
I'm so glad I asked you people for advice. I have learnt a lot today.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for remembering to update, you must have plenty of other stuff to do atm!

I am glad that vet thinks it has been caught early before any major damage. Fingers crossed for a good recovery. If the Cushings test proves positive, it can be amazing how much difference Prascend can make.

Nancykitt

Visit site
While I am obviously upset (and cross with myself!) because my beloved Finn has lami, I am sitting here with a massive sense of relief because at least I now know what it is and - more importantly - he is comfortable and much happier. Thank goodness for the H&H forum! I'm sure Finn would thank you too if he could! I can't get over how useful your advice has been.
Just posted on Facebook to warn people if their horses are experiencing any sort of lameness; a few people have replied to say that there has been a major outbreak of acute lami recently.

racebuddy

Visit site
While I am obviously upset (and cross with myself!) because my beloved Finn has lami, I am sitting here with a massive sense of relief because at least I now know what it is and - more importantly - he is comfortable and much happier. Thank goodness for the H&H forum! I'm sure Finn would thank you too if he could! I can't get over how useful your advice has been.
Just posted on Facebook to warn people if their horses are experiencing any sort of lameness; a few people have replied to say that there has been a major outbreak of acute lami recently.

My old boy was 26 came down with actute lami out of nowere , never been sick or sorry always sound , his was through cushings again showed no signs at all

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Lami catches a lot of people out, don't be too hard on yourself. At least you have the diagnosis and can move forward. Good luck with Finn x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so sorry it's laminitis I have just seen it so many times now and know the signs unfortunately, I am glad you at least know what your dealing with and that his much more comfortable, please let us know how his doing hugs to you both x

Wanted to add definitely get a cushings test done.

Nancykitt

Visit site
Bloods will be taken tomorrow! Vet thinks that Cushings is extremely likely but says that at least we can treat it and we're in with a chance of him getting back to sound and happy.
He is comfortable in his stable right now and seems quite happy, much better than yesterday!
Once again, massive thanks to all.