Extremly accident prone horse!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
What to do?!

One of the horses at my yard seems to injure himself/have colic/tie up/get urticaria/loose a shoe/whatever at any oppurtunity.

Recently he's been off work for ages due to knocking himself on the fetlock in the field. He was box rested for about a week then silly yard manager decided to lunge him to see if he was sound, he was but then tied up as hadn't had any exercise for days. So then he needed another few weeks off to recover.

Once over this I began riding him again to get him fit as by now he'd been off (and stuck in stable) for over a month. I very slowly got him back up to cantering and fit enough to do an hours lesson (he is a riding school horse). All seemed well so I turned him out in the field as I felt sorry for him having been stuck in for weeks. So he lost a shoe! Came in hopping lame (he is a very sensitive sole!), fortunately farrier was able to come out that day and put shoe back on, after which he was fine. He did his first lesson (hooray!) at the weekend and survived it, yey. So today I turned him out again hoping he would manage not to injure himself in any way this time, but no, he came in with a hole in his hoof wall just under the coronet band where he had stood on himself. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't look majorly lame but wasn't quite right either. Poulticed his hoof and hoped for the best. The poor boy seems prone to every ailment going, it is rare he goes out without scraping himself somehow, he can't cope with frosty or very sugary grass, he gets urticaria, he knocks into himself, he is prone to azoturia. Last year he managed to tear a big gash in his hindquarter muscles by rolling against a loose nail (which admittedly shouldn't have been there) in his stable. He is prone to a bad back so needs a special saddle and is weak behind so only a few people are allowed to ride him. He is sugar intolerant so has to have special feed. He won't eat any feed supplements so gets fed very little (just chaff and hay at the moment!) He suffered severe worm damage when younger so his gut still doesn't work properly. He has to wear special shoes as his conformation is bad. Yard manager is reluctant to ever turn him out, (I suppose you can see why), yet I nag her to do so as surely it is no sort of a life to be stuck in a stable 24hrs a day? I just feel really sorry for this horse, he has the most adorable character and although he is the most accident prone horse I've ever met I reckon that with different management he would do a lot better. Yard manager couldn't be bothered to reduce his feed on his days off so now just feeds him practically nothing. Anyway just wanted to share this with you, has turned into a bit of a rant I guess, pointless post really, anyone else's horse like this?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
You need to buy this horse NOW! Sounds as though he would thrive under your knowledgeable and sensitive care. Make riding school an offer. My boy is ex-riding school and came to me thin (vet said almost emaciated), depressed, lost his joy in living, school sour and no-one special to give him one-to-one loving. He's now round and happy and enjoying life and enjoying being a horse. x
smirk.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We have a retired livery who is accident prone. His life before consisted of a flat well fenced paddock and he has found steep hills, rocks/bogs/overhanging trees etc a hard thing to adapt to.
He often gets a bruise from walking into things, and ha cut his face twice, once seriously. I can't remove all the obstacles so just hope with time he gets wiser..
Some horses are definitely accident prone, my advice for those is sell 'em!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Sunnymum, I am very tempted, I do think that with proper management he would be a lot better but at the same time I worry I'd be taking on a walking vets bill (as he is known at the yard!) He's lovely though, I am pretty attached to him as have known him for years and it's always me who ends up sorting him out when something goes wrong with him as yard manager can't be bothered. She keeps joking they should just shoot him, trouble is I fear this won't be a joke much longer if he carries on the way he is. I could just about afford to keep another horse (already have one!) but would be pushing me a lot. I hate seeing him living like this though when I know so much of the way he's managed is completely wrong for him!

Today when I took his poultice off there was a bit of gunk on it but hoof looked a lot better (much cleaner) and fortunately looks quite minor and smaller now I can see it clearly. He was abit lame but as I've said he is extremely sensitive, so hopefully when the nick in his hoof heals in a few days he'll be fine again. YM blue sprayed it (she didn't even look at it until I asked her to!) Fingers crossed XX