Eye cysts in horse

Birker2020

Visit site
Going to view a horse tomorrow that has an eye cyst in both eyes.

Eye cysts are asymptomatic and noticed incidentally and quite common too.

His was noted when he was vetted last May. The seller has been totally open about this and I feel she is genuine. I've done some digging and read a lot about them and also taken some advice from some knowledgeable posters on the forum.

However, sometimes cysts can cause local corneal oedema and erratic behaviour like shying, decreased performance and head‐shaking.

The horse seems ideal for what I'm looking for on paper, and I will be getting it 5 stage vetted if I want to purchase him.

Has anyone had experience of their horses sight deteriorating with this condition? I guess what I'm trying to do is to establish how often the condition can and does progress and what the liklihood is of this happening. I expect there will be an exclusion so could also do with knowing what kind of cost treatment is likely to be too just in case.

https://www.oakhill-vets.com/equine/iris-cysts/ this is some info about it.

TIA

Equi

Visit site
A mare at my yard has one on her off side. She’s about 18 now and it’s never given her or owner any cause for concern. She can be slightly looky at white objects but who’s to say if that’s eye related or horse related 🤷🏻‍♀️

winnie

Visit site
I had a cob with one in one eye. It did grow slightly over the years but never caused any issues over the next 15 years.