Eye drops/gel

nedzy

Visit site
Hi,

My vet has given me some eye gel today for my mare's runny eyes, however I don't seem to be able to manage to get it in her eye. She screws them up and I can only get it on her eye lids! Any advice as to what I should be doing!? Should it go in the corner or where?
(Yes, should have asked vet, but it seemed simple at the time!)

TequilaMist

Visit site
Putting on eye ointment is a right pain!If you are doing this on your own and this is presuming horse will stand for you,(I 'm right handed so I'll describe it from that point of view)take left hand and with thumb below eye and fingers above eye you sort of gently but firmly 'pull' eye open and with right hand put in cream/ointment.You may need hand from someone if horse objects to it.I have been lucky and most of horse I have had to do this to have not objected too much and have managed with other half holding lead rope firmly and me applying cream.Hope this helps.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Put the sream gel on your first fingertip (this way you dont cross infect). To to the left eye stand with left hand on the nose, lift eyelid up with other fingers and pop the cream in the corner. Use the other hand for the other eye.

mostfunintown

Visit site
one mare i had was a right little moo for eye gel so in the end i used to just pull the bottom lid down and put the gel in there as then with blinking my mare distributed it over here eye herself. What ever way you try GOOD LUCK!!!!
wink.gif