Eye removal question

hairycob

Visit site
This one was done under standing sedation. Google tells me that is a thing but I was dubious about it being done at the yard by a general practice vet (albeit she calls herself an equine vet, but 2 person general practice).

[59668]

Visit site
My horse had his removed under standing sedation at the local equine hospital. He needed to stay in for a few days after too.

sjb10

Visit site
Yes, I wondered this as well when I heard it last night. It was a quiet older horse I think. You would think that a sterile area would be preferred, but the horse already had the thorn in it's eye so not like it was planned for a medical condition, if that makes sense. I think also the horse in this case doesn't travel well, so may have become distressed/in a worse condition if made to travel.

Yes, I know, it isn't real, or so my husband keeps telling me :)

MissTyc

Visit site
Used to be done at yard under sedation .. Now with fancy clinics, I think it's preferable to use the fancy clinic if it's available (we recently had an elderly mare's eye removed. They would have done it on yard, but as an investigation was recommended by the referring ophtalmo she was done at clinic under GA in the end).

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
It's possible to do it under standing sedation at yard using local anesthetic nerve blocks, that's how they do it for cows/other farm animals, but I expect doing it at a clinic is preferred (even if still under standing sedation) I suppose if there were other factors that meant doing it at a clinic was not possible that a vet might choose to do it like that?