Face protection from freezing wind

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I have lots of thermal layers for my body but I need something to stop my lower face freezing. All I can find when I search are balaclavas where only your eyes are left showing or actual COVID-type face masks. Has anyone found anything that works well?

stangs

Visit site
The above looks good. Personally, in cold weather, I like having a balaclava/ski mask that covers the ears and top of the head as well (makes you look like you're about to rob a bank, but that's a separate issue).

Cloball

Visit site
Some kiwi ladies showed me a way of wearing a buff under a hat that covered your face and didn't roll down when we were caught in an apocalyptic hail storm in Mongolia. I also have a fleece buff with a draw string I tie over my nose and then put a regular buff over the top.
They do balaclavas too. They seem a bit pricey but I've had mine since my teens and still going strong, barely need cleaning and don't lose their shape. I live in mine as I cycle year round looking like I'm going to rob someone. Sunglasses and full face buff. Saves you swallowing too many midges too.
https://www.buff.com/gb/headwear/balaclavas.html

Cloball

Visit site
Definitely need a buff. Incredibly useful bit of kit, especially if you watch their full demo and remember all the different ways to wear them. I use a fleece tube too if it's ice cold and windy. Really helps me with facial neuralgia.
Plus all the nice colours and patterns, I've got quite a collection, although one would do the job.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
A buff/snood for sure.

I also use a natur nappy cream on my face as a heavy duty moisturiser, which helps lots too - otherwise I find I break out in flaky, red sections.

I wear riding hat ear covers or a thin headband under my my to protect my ears and side of jaw too.

Ratface

Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I am properly chuffed with my new Buff lightweight merino wool neck cover/tubular scarf, bought on the back of this thread :D.

It's kept me warm and comfortable today while I've been out in Storm Arwen re-firming in all my white electric fence posts, which were suffering under Arwen's not-at-all-gentle attentions.

No frozen face, no cold ears! Defo much better protection than my Back on Track ear warmers, and I thought they were good!

435EB0FB-E553-4DCD-AAC7-75F53E985014.jpeg

9588634E-338F-490C-9C3B-8BAF2244183A.jpeg
It was £17.95 inc postage - bargain! I've just ordered a heavyweight version to keep it company.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have tried allsorts at last year I converted to these and it's a game changer!! no more chapped face!!!

Babymeo Winter Trapper Fur Hat, Trooper Hats with Face Cover Men Women - Waterproof Unisex Ushanka Russian Hats, Windproof Bomber Cap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GQWS...abc_963QZVZJX6ZGA7HA3ZSW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you! In the back of this I've just ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09GY2V94M/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I have an all fleece one I got the HHO SS a couple of years ago. It's brill. Lives in my car for those "Oh shoot!" times.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I really want one of these Buff thingies too!
Which one to go for though? The original, but in what material? I’ll be using it for skiing in Feb also…