Facebook enforcing For Sale posts

Clodagh

Visit site
I follow a few gundog sales groups - out of pure nosiness - and I see that FB are now enforcing the ban on the sale of dogs. This may be all animals, I don't know.
Previously if you had a dog or a litter for sale as long as you listed it under' Discussion' not 'Sale' it was OK but now they are being far more proactive in removing posts. People are also joining the groups to report sales posts.
On the whole this has to be a good thing, but people do have to advertise spare pups somewhere, and I presume will just use Champdogs or Preloved. Back to the old Exchange and Mart days perhaps!
What do you think? Selling a litter on line does not mean you are a bad breeder, with the best will in the world you may end up with a pup still for sale when your prebooked ones have gone.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Definitely all animals, it's affecting the reptile groups too.

I suspect that it has meant that people have been reporting the dodgiest dealer's posts, as both sammarie and Maisie have had a lot of trouble with it recently, and harry evans I think.

Clodagh

Visit site
Definitely all animals, it's affecting the reptile groups too.

I suspect that it has meant that people have been reporting the dodgiest dealer's posts, as both sammarie and Maisie have had a lot of trouble with it recently, and harry evans I think.

I'm being dim, are they the names of three dodgy reptile dealers? On the dog pages even single littters are being removed, it seems very 'blanket'.

monte1

Visit site
I have seen a lot of this recently as well !
As someone who is due a litter of Working Springer pups very very soon and planned to pop an advert on the gundog facebook pages for any which were not pre-sold it does make it more difficult to "reach out" to like minded people and secure the best homes for them !

TGM

Visit site
Yes it is affecting sales of all animals. Allegedly, some 'horses for sale' Facebook groups in Australia have actually been closed down for allowing the sale of horses. I know some UK equestrian FB groups are banning horse sales now, and/or renaming themselves, or setting up separate horse sale groups so that they don't lose their main groups.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm being dim, are they the names of three dodgy reptile dealers? On the dog pages even single littters are being removed, it seems very 'blanket'.

horse dealers ;)!

I think currently posting the main ad in comments seems to help, as does posting a screenshot of one rather than text.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is this an attempt to ban people from having pets? If advertising is banned, how do you find them ?

No it’s an attempt to crack down on puppy farming, and indiscriminate sales of animals generally. It’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

There were always a lot of dogs that used to be advertised on my local selling groups. No health testing done on any of them, extortionate prices and multiple litters.

{97702}

Visit site
Is this an attempt to ban people from having pets? If advertising is banned, how do you find them ?

Strictly tongue in cheek I promise and not meant to be taken too seriously.... surely any responsible person finds a good breeder and waits for their puppy rather than impulse buying from an advert? 😛😇😇😇

conniegirl

Visit site
Strictly tongue in cheek I promise and not meant to be taken too seriously.... surely any responsible person finds a good breeder and waits for their puppy rather than impulse buying from an advert? 😛😇😇😇
but I don't want a puppy where am I supposed to find a dog?
And for godsake do not say rescue centers, those in the UK are utterly hopeless and wont rehome to anyone who has the audacity to work!

dogatemysalad

Visit site

I like to think that I am a good owner who gives all our animals a great life, but I've never bought a dog from a professional breeder and waited for it be be born and weaned.
Some of our dogs came as rescues and some came because I had space for a new dog and I saw an advert that appealed to me. I suppose mine were impulse buys, just like my horses have been.
Our dogs are never left home alone, they walk miles each day and go on camping/hiking holidays with us.
I don't see the connection with responsibility between buying from a professional breeder and a local farmer with a litter.

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't have Ffee or Pen without FB. Although tbf I heard about them on discussion groups, not sales ads.
I still got interviewed to assess my suitability and went and met the parents and the breeders. Banning sales ads won't make people look for health testing. I assume champdogs is OK? And you still get them on preloved.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't see the connection with responsibility between buying from a professional breeder and a local farmer with a litter.

Most local farmers (or gamekeepers for what I want) don't health test, so I do need to go to decent breeders who plan things. I waited for another litter that didn't work out for both of the latest two but then when I needed to start looking, and needed a pupp that year, FB was the best place. Also, you get a feel for people in the discussion groups and then if they say they are having a litter you might hav eseen what they do for a couple of years and know if you like their dogs.

{97702}

Visit site

And this is why it is important to ban FB sales and the like - sadly I would imagine that a lot of people don’t see the connection between responsibility and buying from a breeder who has health tested (NOT health checked, that’s a load of rubbish) the parents of their puppy. It increases the chances of having a happy healthy puppy more than somewhat....

And they do not have to be a ‘professional’ breeder (which usually means a puppy farm in my experience) for a prospective owner to be able to contact them and register interest in a prospective puppy..... I should know after all, from my lifetime of experience 😊

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
People sold dogs before the internet and before social media. There are newspapers and magazines, breed clubs often have their own magazines, websites and bulletins as well as lists of breeders and waiting lists. Rescues the same (apart from the list of breeders lol).
Maybe print media will make a resurgence now that people might have to pay for advertising again :p
There's also going to shows, trials, events, word of mouth etc. I've never bought a dog from an advert, it's all through people I know/word of mouth.
If there's anyone to blame for the blanket ban, blame the puppy farmers and backyard breeders and money makers, who have spoiled things for those people who do things responsibly.
Anyone in my own breed looking for a decent puppy goes to working-dog (a lot of people do share litter plans from that site) and if a litter comes up on a specific FB group page, it usually indicates desperation on the part of the seller.

conniegirl

Visit site
Forever Hounds, Adopt a Dog North East, Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue and Greyhound Trust

Forever hounds and grey hound trust - wouldnt have seen them as I do not want any form of greyhoud, whippet etc.

Adopt a dog north east - just had a quick google and can't find them, do you have a link at all?

I will look at Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue

{97702}

Visit site
AADNE are on - ironically - Facebook

I think part of my ease of finding a rescue dog is an understanding of the breeds that suit my circumstances - I have no idea what sort of dog you are looking for, but I went for a breed that suited my circumstances (i.e. a greyhound) rather than one which I wanted and wouldn’t be suitable

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Problem is, I don't want a pedigree or a designer dog. My dogs are pets and I'd rather not buy from someone who breeds for money. My border terrier is the only pedigree dog I've ever had, and he, like my cats, came from a farm where they were bred because the farmers needed to breed but didn't need the whole litter.
I do know a couple of registered dog breeders who, quite frankly, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
The bottom line for me, is doing some research on the sellers history and visiting the home to see the parents and how the dogs are kept. Also, if the seller appears to be a fruit loop, it's a good indication that all is not well.

{97702}

Visit site
Who mentioned “registered” dog breeders? I wouldn’t touch them, they are usually puppy farmers (if registered with their local council or the Kennel Club’s crazy scheme). And the sort of person I mentioned certainly doesn’t breed for money.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Who mentioned “registered” dog breeders? I wouldn’t touch them, they are usually puppy farmers (if registered with their local council or the Kennel Club’s crazy scheme). And the sort of person I mentioned certainly doesn’t breed for money.
Fair enough, but where do I find my next mongrel then ? I can't have anymore rescues because our property doesn't have dog proof fencing, our stone walls aren't high enough.

pippixox

Visit site
I don’t really get what the ban will achieve?

Personally I got a rescue from a small charity in Essex nearly three hours from us as at the time I had a small baby and big rescues seem to say no for any dog. Where as this charity of course are sensible and it depends on the individual dog. They also don’t stipulate 6ft fence unless needed and some dogs are suitable for being left for the work day (paws crossed Essex)

Found them on Facebook! Does the ban also include rehoming?

{97702}

Visit site
Fair enough, but where do I find my next mongrel then ? I can't have anymore rescues because our property doesn't have dog proof fencing, our stone walls aren't high enough.

I would go by word of mouth - you mentioned earlier about the importance of researching the sellers history etc, I totally agree with that. There will always be someone who knows someone with a litter - deliberate or occasionally accidental! - and can recommend them.

chaps89

Visit site
Apparently Battersea now rehome minus home checks and if you live in a flat with no garden that's ok too apparently. Not that I'm cross about the lump of a dog that's arrived next door with seemingly no thought from charity or owner :rolleyes:
Sorry to derail. I think for deterring puppy farming it's a great idea and for dogs specifically as it's not so common to buy and sell them like it is with horses, the optimistic part of me would like to think people will think things through a bit more.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
There's still plenty of vets, pet stores and farm stores with noticeboards, which is how farm bred dogs, oops litters and rescue dogs were advertised pre internet.

I always refused to advertise litters on the notice board citing the fact that clients might think it a veterinary endorsement regarding health. :p