Facebook for the good - stolen pony returned

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The power of Facebook for the good.

A therapy pony was stolen locally, and appeals to look out for her were plastered all over the local facebook news and police pages, and shared many times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Observant residents at a posh estate spotted her in a nearby illegal traveller encampment, and informed the police. The pony was recovered safe and well, along with a distinctive red Ifor Williams HBX trailer which had also been stolen from a different location.

Asha

Visit site
i followed that story, and was amazed when they recovered them both. I never knew there was a traveller site near that particular posh site ( im assuming its the one with a golf course etc ? )
I dont know if im more amazed that the police actually went to a traveller site ..

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Great news! I do wonder why they would want to steal a Shetland who has no real 'use' (being pragmatic, I love them) and no real value.
Glad to see the police cracking down though - went to view a beautiful cottage the other day, but the listing didn't mention the 1 acre travellers site next door unsurprisingly. No doubt that's why it was within my price bracket!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Great news! I do wonder why they would want to steal a Shetland who has no real 'use' (being pragmatic, I love them) and no real value.
My guess is that the Shetland was stolen because a child known and/or related to the illegal travellers had taken a fancy to having one.

canteron

Visit site
In a site of 60+ people, how do you know who stole the trailer or pony? You can hardly arrest everyone there..
Let’s be honest, they mainly don’t really try. Friends father was attacked and quad bike stolen. Despite the thieves quad bike escape being caught on several neighbours cctv ‘there wasn’t enough evidence’.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Let’s be honest, they mainly don’t really try. Friends father was attacked and quad bike stolen. Despite the thieves quad bike escape being caught on several neighbours cctv ‘there wasn’t enough evidence’.

Oh absolutely agree with this in a generalised sense, just with specific regard to thi case an arrest would have been difficult as you would need to pin point who was responsible.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Round here the police raid the sites quite a lot and pick up all sorts while there, usually stuff from not far away. The best most recent one was them claiming a caravan had been dumped on the site... complete with the little step outside.

Good news for the pony/owners

Ratface

Visit site
The settled traveller group up,the hill from me used to be rather lackadaisical with the fencing on the land they may/ may not have had permission to graze their skeletal horses/ponies on. They frequently got out and were all over the railway lines and local main/side roads. The head of the group was a proper horseman. His relatives less so.
The police were too "busy" to attend. I and a couple of people herded them back and called RSPCA. "Too busy to attend " also. In the end WHW attended, with police, scooped the whole herd up and no horses have been seen there since.
The head of the group keeps his pretty little coloured mare and her filly foal on grass livery with a friend of mine. They look wonderful, want for nothing and Mr X, the owner, spends days with them and is a valued source of hedge-witch equine wisdom and decades of experience.