Facial Paralysis/Neuro probs - PLEASE HELP

vicm2509

Visit site
My loan pony Sam is currently in Leahurst Vetinary Hospital and has been since yesterday afternoon.

He is suffering from paralysis to right side of his face, large cyst in right eye and swollen left one mainly.

I will start from beginning. Sunday before last we went down first thing and he had left his overnight hay. This wasnt like him but we thought perhaps it was dusty as new hay supplier so we soaked it and gave it him back, also checked his temp which was normal. Next morning it was still uneaten. His owner emptied it and found a dead pigeon. So he was given a fresh net. By wednesday he was still on/off hay but eating hard feed fine. I rode and he was fantastic, left him nibbling his hay. Thursday morning he had left it all. That evening still eaten none, hardly drank and only one poo. I took temp 38.7. Rang emergency vet who sedated him (hes very scared of vets and they cant get near him). They did a rectal and said he had an impactation, put tube up nose to stomach and flushed him. He was then given very small amounts of hay as advised by vet which he ate, still only little poo but he hadnt had much to eat so didnt expect much. Sunday his right eye was swollen but we thought he had just knocked it so bathed it. Popped him out for little grass as advised by vet. He was eating grass fine so left him out for 90mins. Went to get him and he cantered over.

Monday he still wasnt eating, moved away when touched and for first time did not seem his usual self. Called vet again who told us to lead him to grass and see if he ate. He did eat it. He was walking what I can only describe as not normal (he wasnt lame but was just walking a bit 'careful'), he was walking in circles round stable. Trying to pass water but couldnt get it out and same with poo. Vet refued to come and said it was common virus and let it run its course.

Yesterday his whole right side of face had dropped from his nose upwards, his right ear doesnt move. Right eye swollen shut and left eye also swollen but not as bad. He drops half food out mouth when eating too. He is on steroids, antibiotics and drops every hour into eye though tube direct to eye. We are awaiting blood results. Main test is Herpes. He is having spinal fluid tested tomorrow. Vets do not have a clue what is wrong, but said it is very serious and are not holding out much hope of recovery. He is currently stable but not improving at all.

A friends horse had Polyneuritis Equi which sounds very simalar to what Sam has but he is not incontinent.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? We are so worried about him. We love him to bits and just want him to get better but no one knows what is up.

He is an 11yo normally healthy welsh D.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Sorry,can't help in any veterinary way but am sending all my get well vibes to you and your boy-you must be so worried. Stay strong for your boy-he sounds a little fighter. X

vicm2509

Visit site
Yes, we mentioned the pigeon a million times to all the vets that have seen him. Vet basically said he had been contaminated by the pigeon then he would have been severly ill within 24hrs and dead within days so he completly ruled it out. The pigeon was more of a carcus, bearing in mind it must have been in there since bailing last year. I still think it is very very strange that it all started the day after the pigeon though. I am wondering if he has perhaps had a common virus which has triggered something else causing the neurological issues....

vicm2509

Visit site
I have just watched that video and actually think I may have been right all along. Vet totally ruled it out when we told them, not one vet but 3. I will call them first thing. Thank you very much.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Years ago my horse was in Leahurst and the horse in the next stable was there with a possible diagnosis of botulism. I can't remember much about it but it was flat out every time I saw it. My horse was in for 4 or 5 days and this one was there when I arrived so it certainly didn't die within 24 hours. It sounds like your poor Sam has something like Bells Palsy which can strike humans over night. The steroids ought to help though. I suggest you massage his face if possible. It will help to stimulate the nerves and disperse the fluid build up. A virus could certainly cause it and what might be a common cold to some people is catastrophic to others. Good luck with Sam, he sounds much loved.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Besides the pigeon could he have had access to anything else? It does sound like poisoning. I know someone recently lost their pony to leyandii poisoning and it started with the swollen eye and refusing to eat :(

vicm2509

Visit site

I have done more research and it seems botulism can take 7-10 days to display recogniseable symptoms. This ties in with him. Also he is displaying every symptom. I have spoken to vet again today and they have not tested for it, and still insist he would have displayed symptoms sooner. I have printed off all info to show them today.

Bells Palsy and a brain tumor have not been ruled out. However they are testing for simple things first as testing for this would mean taking him to Newmarket for a scan, which is a very long way away and they are not sure if this is for the best due to the outcome if the result is positive.

He is still on steroids, and still stable but critical. We have had no change in last 24 hrs.

We cant massage his face and he has a permanant mask on as he has drops going direct into his eye every hour through a tube. We can massage his little nose and lip though so will try that later.

It is just so devestating seeing him in such a state, especially when we dont have a clue what is up. We never in a million years expected our little Sam to end up like this :-(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Is he on antibiotics? I would insist they start treating him for botulism. Will keep my fingers crossed for him.

mle22

Visit site
Nothing useful to add but just wanted to send best wishes for his recovery - sounds awful - poor him and you x

vicm2509

Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for your advice and good wishes.

We went to see him yesterday and he is still the same. He has improved very very slighly and seemed a bit more like our Sam yesterday but the paralysis is still there (he cant move his ear at all or blink his eye at all and his mouth still droops one side). He is definatly eating better though and seems steadier on his feet.

He is on antibiotics in his feed, steroids through a line and still eyedrops through a line direct to his eye. They tried to take spinal fluid on Friday but couldnt get any from him.

We still have no more news on the diagnosis and are hoping to get the blood results back today. He is still very poorly but after seeing he was a little more perky yesterday we know he still has a lot of fight left in him. We are also hoping to see more imporvement today as that may well be a sign that the antibiotics are begining to work as this is day 5 of antibiotics now.

Thanks again and I will keep you all updated.

If anyone thinks of anything else no matter how small then please just add it. Every little thought helps.

applecart14

Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for your advice and good wishes.

We went to see him yesterday and he is still the same. He has improved very very slighly and seemed a bit more like our Sam yesterday but the paralysis is still there (he cant move his ear at all or blink his eye at all and his mouth still droops one side). He is definatly eating better though and seems steadier on his feet.

He is on antibiotics in his feed, steroids through a line and still eyedrops through a line direct to his eye. They tried to take spinal fluid on Friday but couldnt get any from him.

We still have no more news on the diagnosis and are hoping to get the blood results back today. He is still very poorly but after seeing he was a little more perky yesterday we know he still has a lot of fight left in him. We are also hoping to see more imporvement today as that may well be a sign that the antibiotics are begining to work as this is day 5 of antibiotics now.

Thanks again and I will keep you all updated.

If anyone thinks of anything else no matter how small then please just add it. Every little thought helps.

No comments to make other than I am keeping my fingers crossed for your lovely horse.

lizness

Visit site
Hello,Botulism is sheep I believe causes sheep to walk in circles.I don't know if this is relevant. Seen it due to mole hills contaminating wrapped bales. Was the hay wrapped?

vicm2509

Visit site
Thank you for all your good wishes.

Sam was put to sleep this morning. Heartbroken doesn't even come close. A diagnosis wasnt made :-(

TeamChaser

Visit site
Desperately sorry to hear that news. I was reading thread hoping for a positive outcome :(

You did everything you could for him just so sorry the outcome wasn't better

RIP dear Sam (((((Hugs)))))

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
So sorry to hear this. Although I hadn't replied to it I was interested due to having had Bells Palsy some years ago. I can honestly say it was one of the most frightening and sad times of my life not knowing why it had happened or if I would recover at all; luckily I did but it was nearly six months before so. RIP Sam.