Failed AI Due To Infection- Worth 2nd Attempt?

Joined
29 June 2021
Messages
1
I have a mare who is 21, she had 2 foals before i had her, over 10 years ago.
last month she was scanned but don't think swabed. She was injected to ovulate and was AI at home.
Next day she went in to vets as planned to deal with any water retention, day 1 reported as fine but further days there was fluid and then she went onto injections
When we went back to embryo transfer the fluid on the flush was cloudy with lots of white cells and small particalls even blocked the tubes (which vet had not seen before) She also had a cist.
So failed attempt. To deal with the infection they treated her with Kerosene. A week later her flush came out clear but there was some fluid again the next day. She was coming back into season.
Vet proposed we leave until her next season and see how she looks.
My question is- given the above infection for the 1st attempt and the success rate of 60% for AI, are the chances of success now significantly lower or have people had experience with the above and have had success, with the keresene procedure working and infection not returning with 2nd A1 attempt?
I assume i should ask my vet to swab to check infection has cleared up (and not just scan). Any other tips on how to increase success rate? Or call it a day?
Thanks
 

Asha

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 February 2012
Messages
4,610
Location
Cheshire
Personally id find out what the infection is before attempting any more coverings.

My mare ( a couple of years ago) never conceived. She was older, had 2 previous foals without issue. Would come into season no problem, would always throw up a bit of fluid, nothing major. But never conceived. I spent way too many ££ trying.
Whereas when my younger mare had an infection she was swabbed, and then caslicked . We left her until the following year and she conceived straight away. It just depends on what the infection is and how deep your pockets are. I for one wouldnt keep trying with a mare at that age again.
 

gingerarab

Well-Known Member
Joined
17 July 2010
Messages
696
i have been though this with my mare, we tried everything to get the infection under control last year. Managed to reduce to a reasonable level. the next step was kerosene wash out. Without this the vet said she had very little chance of maintaining a pregnancy. Having spent a lot of money trying to solve the problem, decided that its just not worth putting the mare or myself or the breeder through anymore stress. We are lucky to have had 2 really nice babies. Try speaking to Tullis at Stallion AI Services to see if they can give you any further advice. Good luck
 
Top