Failed kissing spine ligament snip - any experience? Next steps?

Dixieroo

New User
Visit site
Hi all, keeping a long story short - my horse had a ligament snip 7 months ago and a return of indicative behaviour 2 months ago. Yesterday the vet re x-rayed which showed bony growths on the surface of the affected SP's indicating a reactive response. Next steps are now being discussed with the surgeon and I am awaiting the outcome of those. Does anyone else have any similar experiences? If so what did you do/what were your offered? Thanks

ihatework

Visit site
Hi all, keeping a long story short - my horse had a ligament snip 7 months ago and a return of indicative behaviour 2 months ago. Yesterday the vet re x-rayed which showed bony growths on the surface of the affected SP's indicating a reactive response. Next steps are now being discussed with the surgeon and I am awaiting the outcome of those. Does anyone else have any similar experiences? If so what did you do/what were your offered? Thanks

I’ve heard of a number of failures.
7 months is quite quick, the ones I’ve heard of are circa 2 years post op where the process’ are touching again.

I think if you can’t manage with steroid and really good physio & schooling it’s an all or nothing approach.

Big op or retirement

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Not ligament snip, my previous horse had the traditional op.
Can I ask, how old is your mare and has she had everything else x-rayed prior to this?

My mare was 9 when she had the traditional KS op.. she had 3 vertebra shaved down. Weeks of box rest, rehab and stress. I started to rehab and she went lame, chronic arthritis diagnosed in the hocks which were injected. She was then diagnosed with bad ulcers, treated and she still was the same old grumpy, unhappy self within a few weeks.

The vet said she could have multiple more issues secondary from the kissing spine and from over compensating for so long. They mentioned suspensory, arthritis in stifles and possible navicular. A leading vet then told me its usually the secondary issues that can ruin them.
She was put to sleep at 10.. she was so unhappy it wasn't fair if she was put under anymore stress. It broke my heart, but it was the right thing. I wish I knew more and had the rest of her scanned before going ahead.

There is a 'kissing spine' group on Facebook which is excellent, has lots of success stories and some negative but worth a look as some very knowledgeable people on there.

TWMD

Visit site
Not really much help as I am a step behind you but I just wanted to say I feel your pain :( I am currently in the process of having my 11 yr old gelding re-examined after having the ligament snip 3 years ago.

Vet isn't convinced it's a relapse of KS, but we're going to do a full workup on his back to see what's going on. Vet is very optimistic but I'm feeling very gloomy about it all :(

ETA my boy appeared a resounding success 12 months post-op, was out winning at unaff dressage and BE90s. He's just been going slowly downhill for a couple of months now

whiteflower

Visit site
Yes mine had lig snip and made no difference at all, if anything made him worse. It's not a surgery I would ever have done on a horse again, there is very little out there about long term cases and the long term prognosis. Mine was written off by vets after and even showing some neuro type signs post surgery that he didn't have prior.
As a last resort I have totally reschooled mine from scratch taking a totally different approach. It's a long process that can't be rushed as they need to totally change how they carry themselves and rebuild correct muscles and posture. Mine is completely sound and working better than he ever has, just started competing again.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Not ligament snip, my previous horse had the traditional op.
Can I ask, how old is your mare and has she had everything else x-rayed prior to this?

My mare was 9 when she had the traditional KS op.. she had 3 vertebra shaved down. Weeks of box rest, rehab and stress. I started to rehab and she went lame, chronic arthritis diagnosed in the hocks which were injected. She was then diagnosed with bad ulcers, treated and she still was the same old grumpy, unhappy self within a few weeks.

The vet said she could have multiple more issues secondary from the kissing spine and from over compensating for so long. They mentioned suspensory, arthritis in stifles and possible navicular. A leading vet then told me its usually the secondary issues that can ruin them.
She was put to sleep at 10.. she was so unhappy it wasn't fair if she was put under anymore stress. It broke my heart, but it was the right thing. I wish I knew more and had the rest of her scanned before going ahead.

There is a 'kissing spine' group on Facebook which is excellent, has lots of success stories and some negative but worth a look as some very knowledgeable people on there.
This is exactly my experience with a 7 yr old unfortunately. Wouldn’t do it again! Definitely get absolutely everything within feasibility x-rayed/ scanned before committing to more treatment. X