Failed my truck test.. gutted!

showjump

Visit site
As previous thread, did my truck training thurs, fri, sat, and test yesterday.

I really enjoyed the training and was fairly confident, wasn't confident when i was first faced with the 18 tonne truck i was to drive. (however it was surprisingly easy to drive) Test day yesterday and i was nervous, felt like i was competing at a show! Managed my reverse in the bay first time, so felt my more settled.
On the test, went on a route we hadn't practiced..typical! Roads were busy, and full of parked cars on both sides, making things more fun! We were about 5 mins from getting back to test centre, when he asked me to pull over to the left, and drive on again when i was ready. So because traffic was coming towards me on opp side, and i was blocking the road, i looked in mirrors, signaled and pulled off, just an and impatient van driver edged out to pass me. I was moving by this point so carried on. Van pulled in behind again. Then he overtook me further down the road.
Got in test centre, to find id only got 7 minors, and a serious fault because of the van. I'm so annoyed with myself. Just should of sat and waited! Grrrr somebody please tell me i will pass next time, its getting more and more expensive!!

Im very down in the dumps today back at work.. Twix and cuppa if you get this far!!

Fanatical

Visit site
You will pass second time I'm sure. I failed mine first time in similar circumstances. Passed with flying colours second time around with compliments from the tester about the way I handled the truck. :)
Good Luck..!

showjump

Visit site
I've got to ring and see if i can get a cancellation! I know this sounds daft, but im dreading doing it all again, alot seems to be down to who else you encounter on the roads, and what time of day it is!!

JVB

Visit site
I failed first time too, book another straight away, you'll be fine! Saying that though on my 2nd test I had a higher level of examiner (tests other examiners) and he was so much better throughout the test, really put me at ease. The first examiner was a complete c*ck

Worth it in the end I would never be without a lorry now

JVB

Visit site
I've got to ring and see if i can get a cancellation! I know this sounds daft, but im dreading doing it all again, alot seems to be down to who else you encounter on the roads, and what time of day it is!!

Agree my 2nd test was Sat morning at 8am in central Liverpool, roads were deserted and it made for a much easier test!

wildcard

Visit site
aww dont be down brush it of as an experience and lesson well learnt next time you will pass for sure, I had exactly the same incident during my trailer test. did all the hard stuff like reversing easy peasy.. get put straight back in for it and take a deep breath and be confident sounds like you know exactly what your doing.. id trust my horsey with you driving :)

showjump

Visit site
Ive just rang up, and the next slot is the 16th April!!!!! Double gutted now its ages away!

Wildcard- Aww thank you!

ROG

Visit site
I was an LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

It is not other road users that are the problem but the way in which the driver on test interperets those other road users as the OP said .. next time they would have waited ...

More upgrade tests are failed because the trainee on test puts so much pressure on themselves that a percentage of the brains' sensible thinking processes shuts off in order to cope which in turn leads to driving errors that, when not on test, would not have occured

There is no cure for what is deemed 'test nerves' apart from the trainee deciding not to have them !!

I would like to say I know what those with these nerves are feeling but I do not because I am probably one of those who says - either I am capable or I am not - that in turn meant that in all my driving tests I never suffered like the OP but just enjoyed the experiences

At least the OP can say they are able to do one thing I cannot - pass the HPT

showjump

Visit site
Really?! Well i hope so.

As i pulled off, he (van driver) edged out to pass me, he was still behind me not level with me. So i guess i should of stopped. Still not convinced it was that big of a mistake but hey ho i live and learn. I was also vary wary that if you hesitate/ are too slow that can be out against me.

Anyhow its done now, so will have to wait..

showjump

Visit site
Thanks measles, ive been eating chocolate trying to make myself feel better!!

Hes rang them up, and 16th April is the earliest, however i will mention cancellations when he rings me back.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Aw chin up! I know how it feels though – failed my trailer test twice back in Sep/Oct. I was so gutted and upset and also newly pregnant. I haven’t been able to bring myself to resit again until yesterday ( am now 7 ½ months lol) and I passed. I was worried Id have forgotten things but I had 2 hours reverse practise/drive before the test and it all came back quickly. I made sure I booked a test at a quieter time of day this time too, rush hour was not fun on my 2nd attempt and I failed for speeding as I got caught up with the flow of traffic heading out of the city and did 40mph where it was still 30mph. Good luck, Im sure you’ll be great next time.

ROG

Visit site
Last edited:

showjump

Visit site
I have to know the length, height and width of truck tho. I know the length is 9.6m but thats all..
Yes next test centre is miles away!

ROG

Visit site
As the LGV school truck as well as a supervising driver is needed along with the test booking then it is virtually impossible for the trainee to do the booking with everything in place

DSA examiners will not usually come in on a saturday unless they have at least 2 tests to do but they will often stay on for a late weekday test - at a little extra cost of course ...

Last edited:

JVB

Visit site
Unlike car test centres, LGV test centres can be a very long way from each other

Appreciated but always worth checking as I used two different test centres for mine and neither were too far away

ETA: Depends on your instructor but mine was happy to tell me lorry dimensions and when he was free, I called him while booking my test to see when he was available and booked it, if tests are available on the website then an examiner will be there, otherwise they wouldn't be available to be booked.

Sounds like your instructor is doing what he can but it does no harm to check for cancellations as he won't have the time to.

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I failed mine first time too, I was so busy concentrating on how I would do the turn at a sticky junction (steep downhill approach, very tight right turn, traffic lights and pedestrian crossings everywhere) that either I entirely forgot about putting on my indicator, or I put it on and it came off. Worst bit was the guy even said 'so just to check we turning right here?' and I totally missed it! Realised during the turn, but was too late then. I then knew I had failed and pretty much had a breakdown, fluffed lots of gears at the next roundabout as was all flustered, he asked me to pull over and have a drink of water to calm myself down :eek:

Passed the second time though :)

showjump

Visit site
Its a horrible feeling isnt it. I think im annoyed at myself for doing such a daft thing tbh, but now im annoyed i cant just take it again straight away! nearly six weeks is silly!