Failed vetting - Swelling at Pastern?

Bav

Visit site
Ok so it’s been a while since I’ve posted but I need to get somethings off my chest regarding a failed vetting on a potential new horse yesterday that has left me all of a pickle!

Said horse passed all flexion tests and every aspect of vetting aside from two things. The vet told me that said horse needs shoeing and due to the over long toes every now and then in trot only on the hard on a small circle she looked ‘off’ bilaterally but very minimal (I’m no vet but usually fairly good and I couldn’t see a thing) and again Vet said it was so so minimal and because she needs her balance addressing in front due to the long toes. Right. Ok. I spoke to my farriwr and he didn’t see this as a problem.

Second thing, she could feel a small amount of swelling (no heat) to the Pastern on one front leg. Passed the flexion on it no problems, no signs of pain etc but has put the fear of death into me by saying Ringbone. This is an 8 year old horse that hasn’t done masses of work. I’m thinking, woah big red flag. I’m also a bit frustrated because the vet told me that she likes the horse and thinks she’ll be perfectly fine but obviously I need to have her front legs and feet xrayed to rule anything out - well yes. I did want her xraying and that’s what I thought I was getting. These aren’t my vets but ones recommended by my own for that area - they failed to tell me that don’t do onsite X-rays and that she’d have to be brought to the hospital for it.

I’m losing my mind but have gone with the vets advise to go ahead with X-rays and she’s being reshod next week. One minute I’m feeling positive and the next I’m filled with dread. I really really like this horse, I’ve not felt this way about any others (typical)
Gah! My head is a miss mash of ‘what ifs’ I just don’t know what I’m doiinnnggg....

Thanks for reading, lots of leftover turkey for anybody interested!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If I liked the horse I wold re-shoe and take in for X rays. The vet says they think it is OK.

I would also beware that the horse may have a couple of exclusions on the insurance!

I would not use this vet again if you booked X rays and they did not provide them.

sportsmansB

Visit site
If you like her, and you think she could be the one for you - just get the xrays, and get your own vet to look at them too.
It could be an old thickening on her pastern that will never do any harm - and if its not, then the xrays should pick it up. Maybe chat through the findings with your own vet in advance of the xrays, in case they can think of something else which could / should be done at the same time to cover any potential problems (scans, or whatever) which might not show on an xray.

If you don't, you may always wonder if she could have been 'the one'

Bav

Visit site
If you like her, and you think she could be the one for you - just get the xrays, and get your own vet to look at them too.
It could be an old thickening on her pastern that will never do any harm - and if its not, then the xrays should pick it up. Maybe chat through the findings with your own vet in advance of the xrays, in case they can think of something else which could / should be done at the same time to cover any potential problems (scans, or whatever) which might not show on an xray.

If you don't, you may always wonder if she could have been 'the one'

Ahh thank you! I hate it not being dealt with by my own vet! So frustrating! I’ve actually booked in with a different vet for a second opinion on a trot up and because they will do onsite X-rays and they’ll send all the findings to my vet as well as the vet that did the initial vetting. I just can’t wrap my head around a horse having potential ringbone but passing a flexion test on that joint! In fact I’ve not known many horses to pass flexion tests, can’t believe I want the awkward one that actually does and then fails on something else!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It’s ridiculous that sellers present a horse for vetting that is due to be shod, I can never understand why they do it such a waste of people’s time and money.

Re the long toes what are the heels like?

I think you’re doing the right thing getting a different opinion too, bad of them to not do xrays when requested.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always tell owners to get the horse shod or be prepared not to whine if it fails if it’s had it’s shoes on too long it’s the biggest false economy ever to present a horse for sale in a set of overlong feet .
However OP it would depend on how much I was spending ringbone and the beginnings of foot btrouble often go together and persistently wearing shoes to long can lame horses over time .
Ringbone is nasty to deal with you don’t want to be going there .

Bav

Visit site
Re the long toes what are the heels like?
The heels were very good, the vet said she’s got a good amount of heel and has good confirmation so addressing the balance should be easy.

Yeah it’s just seeing what this swelling is - if it’s ringbone then obviously it’s a no from me but only one way to find out. Just hate that it’s going to take another week!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you like the horse you need to know .
One of mine has a scar on the pastern that looks like ringbone so you never know it might be ok.
Mine stood on a lead rope and the catch cut him .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with above get horse shod and present to the new vet and get x rays done, it's so time wasting when people are selling something that clearing is overdue for shoes!