Failed vetting WWYD

mocha911

Visit site
i have found the perfeo i walk awayoct horse after several failed settings on other horses,
had this one vetted and it failed.... on the trot on a hard circle, flexion test he was sound also in a straight line
he was mildly lame on both fronts, i went back 10 day later to do the test again and only lane on the left fore
do i walk away or try again he is a super horse with a big jump in him.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
It's hard to give advice without knowing a lot more about what you intend to do with the horse, the age, price range, etc...but this is what the vet should have asked.

Discuss it with the vet; are they saying the horse is suitable or not. If suitable but with concerns then discuss with the seller to reduce the price to reduce your risk considering you'll probably have exclusions on insurance as a result.

If the vet is advising against then bear in mind you have paid for a professional opinion and got it. It's probably worth listening to. If the horse has really failed and the vet thinks the horse isn't right, walk away.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I think for it still to be there 10 days later means its something that is going to require investigating.

It could be something minor or it could be something that will eventually render the horse unrideable.

Personally I'd walk away. Sorry you've been so unlucky.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I'd walk away: I suspect you want him for jumping, as you say he has a "big jump", yes??

Like others have said, you can't do anything with a lame horse; and if there is still a degree of lameness remaining after a significant time-lapse, there is obviously something going on.

Precisely what, is the unknown factor. It may be something quite simple to fix - i.e. couple of physio visits, OR it might be something that will seriously impact on what you want to do with the horse and you're liable to have a Field Ornament looking at you six months down the line - but do you want to buy something with that much uncertainty? As someone else has said, you won't be able to insure for that issue.

catembi

Visit site
Mine was bilaterally lame in front lunged on concrete, but that is quite a hard test for a barefoot horse. I bought him anyway because he was the only one out of 5 I tried that I actually wanted to keep riding rather than get off & hand back, & as an experienced b/f person, I thought I could get him right. He is fine, but I bought him knowing that I might have to write off the purchase price & retire him.

VRIN

Visit site
What was the point in a second vetting if you aren't going to take advice? Bit of a waste of money...

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You've given the horse two occasions to be checked & he has come up lame on both occasions. Don't use the terms 'mildly lame' & try to minimise what is potentially a serious condition, lame is lame. You mention he has a big jump, that could be what has caused the issues. When a fully grown horse 'has a big jump' & he comes down from a great height & a tremendous strain is put on every part of the front legs & this can cause untold damage. Much damage like this is caused when a younger horse jumps big classes at an early age before he has stopped growing & maturing. This is why you see really 4 & 5 year olds jumping big & suddenly they disappear off the scene. This is my pet hate, anyway I digress. If you want to buy a horse for jumping & you want to jump 'big', you don't say how big, then buy a horse that is sound & then you may have a chance. Buying a horse with this problem is stacking the cards against you. You may have difficulty getting his front legs insured also, so unless you have bottomless pockets to pay vet bills for the uninsured front legs I think, as others have said, walk away & find another horse. Sorry.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Having watched the live trotup at burghley, I would have failed several of them!

I have thought that too! I was at Badminton last year and thought one was definitely off, although it passed the first inspection, but I saw that it was withdrawn before the last day.

I can also remember watching the collecting ring for a big show jumping competition and one groom kept her horse on the move all the time, just slowly walking it round, and when the rider got on and took it in the ring I had doubts about its soundness, but it jumped well.

I think that the show jumpers, etc have many strategies to keep a horse sound and in work, but unless you could buy the horse for peanuts and face up to the fact that it might not last very long why buy a horse with known problems.

ihatework

Visit site
Experienced people knowingly & willingly buy mildly lame horses all the time, but they have generally seen enough to think they have a fair chance to get the horse sound for purpose by changing its management and are willing to take a gamble.

I think the fact you have to ask a bunch of internet strangers this question, probably means it is best you take heed of the vetting and walk away.