Failing sight in elderly mare.

autumn7

Visit site
There are times when ridden that I suspect that my semi-retired 25 yr old cob mare's vision is not quite what it should be. She's gradually (over the past two or three years maybe) lost a fair bit of confidence when hacking out to the point where I no longer road hack but trailer her out to forestry for up to an hours mooch. She's a touch arthritic plus has laryngeal paralysis so this is as much as she copes with these days. She adores her outings and is certainly not ready to retire full time yet. However..... along with her loss of confidence she's also becoming more and more spooky at, what were, totally "normal" things ie. sight of a distant farmer's truck waaaay off over the other side of a field slowly wending its way to feed his livestock caused her to freeze in her tracks (on edge of forestry path) then "run away" at strong trot which developed in to a panicky canter (can't go far as serious wheezing deters her), then ends up in a sodden sweat. Such behaviour is totally uncharacteristic for this mare.
Anyway, a number of little incidents such as this leads me to suspect eye sight issues, but how would a vet detect failing eye sight in a horse, other than a blatently obvious lack of response to a torch shining in the eye, or something which would surely be obvious to our naked eye, such as thickening/whitening or such like??
Anyone had sight deficiency detected by a vet when the eye looks normal from outer inspection????

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would imagine that they'd diagnose it the same way as with any other animal - inspection of the eye, retina, lense etc.

I'd give your vet a buzz and see what they have to say.

BigRed

Visit site
You obviously need your vet to check her, but all these things would convince me that it was time to stop hacking because you risk an accident that could injure both of you. You say she adores her outings, but when a horse runs in fear and only stops because her breathing problems make her, it really is time to call it a day. It doesn't mean you have to have her pts.

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
Although not confirmed by my vet, I believe my 30 yo mare has failing sight. When I go in the paddock sometimes, the other horses put their heads up to acknowledge me, but she is sometimes startled when she finally spots me walking towards her! Bless her.
She doesn't get hacked out anymore, just the children potter about on her in the paddock occasionally. I'd be worried about hacking out on one with failing sight, especially if she is getting scared by things, it can't be that enjoyable for her.

fatpiggy

Visit site
My girl is now 28 and I believe has been getting patchy sight in her left eye for at least 10 years. She seems to be able to see what is right beside her, but not what is approaching on that side. She also bumps into things on that side. If I lunge her on the right rein she does everything she can to get back onto the left rein and I think that is so that she can see where she is going better (she used to be perfectly good on either rein so it isn't naughtiness or naturally favouring a rein). I also think that her night vision isn't what it used to be either. She has been known to go into her stable in poor light and walk straight into the back wall. Many years ago when she was having a neuro workup by our local vet he commented that she seemed to have some strange structure in her left eye which he didn't recognise and did I think she could be affected? I denied it at the time as aren't all horses spooked on the left because that is where the rubbish lies - in the hedge, but now I think he was right. I've never followed it up though as it hasn't been a MAJOR problem to date.

Brandy

Visit site
I had my oldie checked over last week as he has now turned 30. The vet said he is developing cataracts in both eyes, but worse in the left. However, neither are that bad. I can't see this from looking with the naked eye - he did have to shine a light in.

I had thought there might be a problem as he sometimes brushes the gatepost when walking into his field - it is on his left. Also, he can get agitated when his friend goes away. Saying that, he was going full tilt round the field the other day and avoided a cow scratching post which is just in the middle, but maybe its because he knows its there? He does seem worse with things right next to him.

I would have the vet out to have a look, it does sound like its getting a little dangerous withthe hacking out. Is she better with another horse? I would consider going out with others if so.

autumn7

Visit site
Mmmm. Some really interesting comments here, thanks such a lot for your responses everyone. Vet's due early April to sedate other horse for dentist so will definitely put eye inspection on the agenda too.
Fatpiggy and Brandy - your recounts particularly struck a chord. When I walk my horses down the walkway to their field (no headcollars, they just walk down with me and I open the gate), this mare has developed a preference for walking on my LHS to the point that she'll almost walk across me to get herself on that side if she's not already. Thinking about it this hasn't always been so. I go out of my way to lead all my horses, tack up, rug up, etc from both sides and I've owned her now for 20 years so this custom isn't new to her.
Brandy - yes she has been better hacking with another horse out and about on local roads since she retired from full work (she was my hunter from 5 - 20 yrs old, a brilliant one too!) although since I felt her confidence gradually waning I will now only take her off road to forestry which is a trailer ride away where we can relax without needing to be on traffic alert. Pal with horse won't ride off road (SHE has confidence issues!) so no good there.
BigRed - my mare is by no means a nervous wreck to ride, maybe it sounds like she's constantly behaving erratically under saddle from my original post - she isn't, 99% of the time we amble along totally on the buckle, just these odd moments that made me question 'eyesight' and I intend to get it investigated and take it from there. Having discussed it on here with you lot I'm even more convinced this could be the cause. Don't worry, I have no selfish intent to keep her ridden and will retire her when I seriously feel she no longer benefits from her OAP excursions!
Amymay - yes, I suppose you're right, and of course a vet knows what he/she is looking for. Just wondered how a vet could detect a slight loss when the horse can't report back as we can at an opticians. Maybe some expert could devise a "spot the carrot at 5 metres, 10 metres, 15 metres.......etc." test for eyesight in equines, then again carrots would need to be a uniform size for accuracy!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hi autumn7. It could very well be a disturbance in her vision that's worrying her and if so, I'd certainly expect it to affect her in and around her normal yard as well, although familiarity with her close environment would give her some reassurance there. If it was a cataract, you could probably see the cloudiness yourself. But it may be a problem with the inner structures and workings of the eye which of course you wouldn't be able to see. Your vet though would be able to see all this in a gloomy stable (so the pupil is opened wide). Changes in the lens, the cornea and the retina would all be visible. A crude method to try for yourself is to stand with your horse and pretend that you are going to smack her hard in one eye by bringing your hand up fast. Stop only at the last split second. Your horse should "startle" away from your hand, if she's seen it coming. This is by no means definitive as some horses will startle from the rush of air but it might give you an idea. Another test is to set up an obstacle course in your arena. Put poles, bins, feed sacks, umprellas, plastic bags, anything unusual to make a course where things have to be walked round or through or over or near. Then walk her round the course on the left rein and watch her responses. Do the same on the right rein. Fingers crossed she's ok x