Fair price?

Ahrena

Visit site
Just want to ask as my loan horse's owner has offered him to us to buy and want to see if you think it's a fair price.

He's a 12 year old 16.2hh dutch warmblood, lovely confirmation, never lame Ect.

He's competed up to be100, always always clear xc and doesn't look at anything, consistent mid-30s dressage, very bold jumper, jumps 1.30 for fun and would do more, not always the most careful - got a lot to do with the rider but usually clear or 4 faults.
He's jumped bsja to discovery, would do newcomers and pos further and won £120 notional I believe.

Just won the 90cm derby class at David brooms centre, was the only one to jump clear in the class, and came 3rd in their unaff 3 foot summer champs.

Very laid back, good manners, perfect in all respects - clipping, shoeing, catching, loading, traffic, dentist Ect. Hacks out with a total novice on board and doesn't give too hoots.

Can get a bit excited when jumping and a bit strong, but he never ever stops, fast against the clock Ect. Real schoolmaster - sensitive in the school and jumping but never nasty and if I make a mistake he tries his best anyway, very genuine horse.

She's asking £4500 for him, including lots of rugs, jumping saddle (quite old and a bit worn but does the job) and bridle.
The catch is, he has only has 1 eye. It doesn't bother him at all.

I'm only asking as I'm a working pupil so my mum would be buying him and I'd pay her back which will take a fair bit of time so want to make sure he's worth it.
My instructor thinks we'll go novice next year and pos further, he just hasn't done a lot the last couple of years hence low mileage

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Just want to ask as my loan horse's owner has offered him to us to buy and want to see if you think it's a fair price.

He's a 12 year old 16.2hh dutch warmblood, lovely confirmation, never lame Ect.

He's competed up to be100, always always clear xc and doesn't look at anything, consistent mid-30s dressage, very bold jumper, jumps 1.30 for fun and would do more, not always the most careful - got a lot to do with the rider but usually clear or 4 faults.
He's jumped bsja to discovery, would do newcomers and pos further and won £120 notional I believe.

Just won the 90cm derby class at David brooms centre, was the only one to jump clear in the class, and came 3rd in their unaff 3 foot summer champs.

Very laid back, good manners, perfect in all respects - clipping, shoeing, catching, loading, traffic, dentist Ect. Hacks out with a total novice on board and doesn't give too hoots.

Can get a bit excited when jumping and a bit strong, but he never ever stops, fast against the clock Ect. Real schoolmaster - sensitive in the school and jumping but never nasty and if I make a mistake he tries his best anyway, very genuine horse.

She's asking £4500 for him, including lots of rugs, jumping saddle (quite old and a bit worn but does the job) and bridle.
The catch is, he has only has 1 eye. It doesn't bother him at all.

I'm only asking as I'm a working pupil so my mum would be buying him and I'd pay her back which will take a fair bit of time so want to make sure he's worth it.
My instructor thinks we'll go novice next year and pos further, he just hasn't done a lot the last couple of years hence low mileage

I think it is very expensive for a horse with one eye even if it doesn't bother the horse. £2,500 would be more acceptable but it's up to you.

glenruby

Visit site
I disagree - if the lack of an eye doent affect how he performs then it shouldnt affect his price. There have been many top class showjumping ponies with one eye including European medal winners and they certainly werent worth any less because they only had one eye.

romwhat you say, I would think £4500 is probably a fair price. However I never pay full price straight up so I would offer a little lower (a couple of hundred maybe) and aim to settle somewhere in the middle. If they dont accept then offer the full price.

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I think that is more than fair, you have said it has no impact on his performance and you have the MASSIVE benefit of knowing the horse before you buy.

Without the eye issue anyone else would be asking for 7-8k. However, in the current market you might get away with offering 4k? You say this includes all rugs and saddle which are worth x amount so do account for if you had to buy it all new...sounds like a good deal to me?!

baily

Visit site
A one eyed horse went around Badminton clear a couple of years ago...can't remember it's name. Bet that was worth more than 4500 to the right buyer if it came up for sale...if its right for you then go for it...you may never get the price you paid back for it but many of us never would and if you are not planning on buying it to sale again quickly then what you will get from the horse would out weigh and loss in money..can always try making a lower offer it would'nt hurt to try..

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sounds like you have the almost perfect horse, how lucky for you to have had such a good trial period so you know he suiits you and you are obviously very happy with him. even though you have had him and know he is healthy i would still have a vetting with special attention to the remaining eye just to be sure that there isnt a likleyhood of him losing his sight completely. as long as this was ok i think the price is pretty fair considering his temperament and achievements with you so far. good luck with whatever you decide...

coss

Visit site
i'd say that is definitely fair - the horse is more than capable. only worry for me would be insurance of his other eye as obviously that would be "it" for the horse who is doing so well!

diggerbez

Visit site
i think its definitely fair. if you don't buy him then you'll have to go and find something else and you probably won't get anywhere near as good a trial as you have had with this horse! :)
i presume he lost the eye in some sort of accident rather than die to degenerative disease so shouldn't be a problem re. vetting or insurance?