Fairfax breastplate

Goldenstar

Visit site
The saddlers been today to reflock H’s saddle and bring me a Fairfax breastplate .
It’s really really looks so comfortable when we got it fitted (G and Harvey will share it ) .
You need to fiddle about a bit to get it spot on but I really like how it sits I can’t wait to get out and try it .
Anybody got one are you pleased with it.

Lola43

Visit site
How have you found it? I've read the research and it makes sense to me, but it's a serious investment. Does it have to be fitted, or can you just buy off the shelf?

ihatework

Visit site
They look like a good design!
I’m just waiting for cheaper copies to make an appearance - must be soon now 😂

Lola43

Visit site
I have a very, very enthusiastic little mare that loves to jump and my daughter has just started to do a bit of xc with her, but I have always felt that the whole breastplate arrangement (even with elastic) must be restrictive. The mare will go over everything, but sometimes if the stride is wrong, or she loses a bit of confidence, her 'go to' is to put an extra little stride in, rather than stand-off, and so the last thing I want is to restrict her in anyway. However, she's so genuine and really tries her heart out I feel I owe it to her to make her as comfortable as possible. Worth the money then? And does it have to be fitted?

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Honestly it’s fantastic there’s a real difference to how the horse jumps .

I know the Fairfax breastplate is different but we used to use an elasticated breastplate when we had a less than perfect K&M saddle but once we changed saddles after a while we realized that the breastplate was restricting her shoulder jumping so simply dont use one.
Unless you have a specific reason they have become a bit of a fashion assessory I believe.

ihatework

Visit site
I know the Fairfax breastplate is different but we used to use an elasticated breastplate when we had a less than perfect K&M saddle but once we changed saddles after a while we realized that the breastplate was restricting her shoulder jumping so simply dont use one.
Unless you have a specific reason they have become a bit of a fashion assessory I believe.

Well XC is a pretty specific safety reason!

ihatework

Visit site
please could you enlighten me more - sorry just wanting to learn not to debate

They stop the saddle slipping back / around which on fit & lean horses is a very real possibility.

I’m not sure if there is any footage on line from Bramham this year but in the U25 section if you can watch Bella Innes-Kers round you can see a prime example. That was a very expensive rookie error for her and one I doubt she will repeat!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
They stop the saddle slipping back / around which on fit & lean horses is a very real possibility.

I’m not sure if there is any footage on line from Bramham this year but in the U25 section if you can watch Bella Innes-Kers round you can see a prime example. That was a very expensive rookie error for her and one I doubt she will repeat!

Thank you will take a look

Sasana Skye

Visit site

ihatework

Visit site
No she didn’t, she pulled up, eventually, thankfully. But safety aside that would have been a real blow for her - the horses Xc record is strong and she would have been wanting an MER for 5* from that run.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Interesting discussion - I recall sometime this year reading about rotational falls in eventing & questions being raised about reasons etc. with some believing it has been impacted by taking away roads & tracks, more relevance placed on dressage -sorry cant remember where I read it - just wonder whilst we're on the subject of breastplates if anybody believes they impact the horse enough to cause a fall ?!?
And no I too wouldn't discount Fairfax research which was tested by numerous top level eventers using biomechanic technology.

ihatework

Visit site
Interesting discussion - I recall sometime this year reading about rotational falls in eventing & questions being raised about reasons etc. with some believing it has been impacted by taking away roads & tracks, more relevance placed on dressage -sorry cant remember where I read it - just wonder whilst we're on the subject of breastplates if anybody believes they impact the horse enough to cause a fall ?!?
And no I too wouldn't discount Fairfax research which was tested by numerous top level eventers using biomechanic technology.

I think the general safety / falls etc is a really difficult topic to draw strong conclusions from.

For sure it’s multi factorial and, amongst others, the big factors will be change in course design, the influence of dressage and possibly even just an increase in awareness/publicity.

The impact of breastplates, for me, really isn’t significant in terms of rotations. We are talking fine margins in jump form rather than preventing the shoulders from lifting.