Fairfax girth

Emmangel

Visit site
OK, I took the plunge and bought the coveted Fairfax dressage girth. I needed a new girth anyway and I figured it would last forever (trying to justify the expense LOL). I am going to try it on tonight.

Anyhow I now see you can buy girth sleeves for the fairfax - question - if they are so fantastic, why would you need a girth sleeve ? if the "Prolite cushioned buffer zone" is as good as the reviews, why would a sleeve be necessary ???

Is it the trend or should I consider buying one ?? Or simply for uber sensitve horses ?

Currently I ride in Albion humane girth with girth sleeve but the edges of the girth are much harder.

Thanks for your opinions as it's already cost me an arm and a leg x

claracanter

Visit site
My saddler lent me one of these girths for my uber sensitive TB and his albion jumping saddle. Unfortunately about a week after she left it with me he did a tendon and ended up having 6 months off so i never really got the opportunity to try it but decided I would buy it anyway as I felt guilty I had had it in my tack room for six months. Now that I've started riding him again, I don't think it's any better than his cheap girth and he doesn't go any better in it. I was wondering if they did a sleeve for it as I think it is quite cold when it comes out of the tack room ( yes my boy is very spoilt) and he pulls terrible faces when I first put it on. Like you I wonder whats the point of it if I am thinking I want to put a sleeve over it and I'm quite tempted to go back to my old cheap girth and sell it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love my Fairfax girth. Jay used to have a hard patch of skin, which would not shift however hard I tried to keep clean, surgical spirit, curved girths, anatomical girths, cord girths, sheepskin sleeves, Prolite sleeves, synthetic sleeves.....

Got a Fairfax and hard patch cleared up straight away. No need for a cover.

Ella19

Visit site
Cover is a bit of a gimmick I think. Some people want them but it's very much a fashion thing. My mare used to squash other anatomical girths behind the elbow, with the Fairfax she doesn't and is much happier. They are extremely stiff to start. I've conditioned mine lots and I've also had to wrap vetwrap round the martingale clip as it bangs on the buckle and my mare is extremely noise phobic.