Fairfax, PS of Sweden or other?

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

I will preface this by saying I don't expect a bridle to solve all my problems. But I thought I would explore some options.

I have a horse whose default reaction to most things is to make his neck very tight. He can work softly, and mainly does, but the frequent problem is getting him to stretch at the base of his neck and to open up the gap between his head and his neck.

We are currently competing at prelim (getting around the 70% mark) and moving into novice (current scores between 68% and 72%). He scores very well because he's such a big mover, but he often gets comments about the tightness of his neck.

My horse is currently in a Micklem bridle, which I like. I have been riding him in my friend's Fairfax bridle, which I also like for the very padded headpiece, but I don't feel he goes much differently in that. That said, the bit is a little small for him so it isn't perfect.

I'm wondering whether the PS of Sweden Pioneer may be helpful. I have seen some positive reviews, but they all seem to be from sponsored riders or "influencers" so I'm not sure I actually trust what is said!

I maybe need to have a play around with bits as well. He's currently in an NS Team Up. I have a verbidend in my other horse, so maybe I should try that.

Any opinions on bridles and maybe bits? there are just too many options but I don't want to spent a fortune trying everything!

I'm hoping I've attached a photo of the handsome man.

Thanks

dMiTvK

https://ibb.co/dMiTvK

nikkimariet

Visit site
I've known the PS bridles (and other anatomically designed bridles) make a world or absolutely no difference, the same feedback you would expect from any product really. I would say that a nicely padded/shaped headpiece helps *most horses be *more* comfortable when working.

Nova doesn't care about much except his saddle. Fig is very fussy about his bridle and bits.

The tightness and reluctance to soften at base of neck and throat says shoulder/back to me? Rather than being poll/jaw related? Though the PS range certainly avoids sitting over delicate nerve bundles that could be effecting your horse and the bridles are built for comfort for any horse.

If he's not strong perhaps try a hanging cheek with a large lozenge. Nova can be laterally tight in the contact and set during flexions and he prefers this (informed designs double joint). Fig is the opposite and is even and straight and adjustable just very strong and can go deep (his bridoon is myler 36 with a low port hartwell curb).

Does he know how to take the contact down? That's your starting point. If you can influence the neck rounder and deeper then you can certainly train him to take the neck out and away.

During training I sometimes keep the frame lower in order to be able to reach that band of muscle over and around their shoulders. Carrot stretches help Fig, he's about an inch long so tightens through the back pretty quickly.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I've known the PS bridles (and other anatomically designed bridles) make a world or absolutely no difference, the same feedback you would expect from any product really. I would say that a nicely padded/shaped headpiece helps *most horses be *more* comfortable when working.

I'd agree with this totally, but thought I would share my experience with the PS bridles. I bought Chilli a flying change deluxe in May 2017 and have to say that the leather is holding up brilliantly (as you'd expect for that price!) despite the fact it probably doesn't get cleaned as often as it should! The headpiece is lovely and feels nice and soft to the touch. There's a photo below of her wearing it.
22813962_848039028689079_1001904446456473356_n.jpg

I decided after having a play with flash/no flash that I wanted to try a drop but in the style of the Fairfax performance. I didn't have that kind of budget though so ordered a similar (practically identical) style noseband from CK equine to put on with the the PS headpiece, throatlash etc. Sadly the lady who ran the company passed away but if you visit the new Facebook page it does seem to be running in some capacity so might be worth a look. Chilli really likes this noseband and it's super quality and really lovely and padded (the padding is so good I just can't do it justice with words. Even the bits that fasten under the horses chin are lovely and padded and soft. Feels just as good as any Fairfax I may or may not have groped in a tackshop :D I bring this brand up as it's a little more budget friendly and the leather quality seems just as good as FF or the PS I shelled out so much for!
37005311_997281747098139_5887191778062237696_n.jpg

I know this might not answer your question directly but gives a little bit of info on the leather quality and how it's worn. :eek:

McFluff

Visit site
I’ve just changed my mare from a Micklem, which she was happier in than a normal cavesson bridle, to a PS Nirak. My main reason was I wanted a brown bridle to match her saddle. She’s going well in it. The padding seems good. It works very similar to the micklem.
I went this route with mine as she was very unsettled in her mouth, and I eventually worked out that it was her noseband she didn’t like. So she’s comfy now, and settled, but the softness is a schooling work in progress...
I’d agree with others though, it can make them more comfortable, but may not help soften him (he’s gorgeous but has similar neck and head confo to mine - softening is not easy as there just isn’t a lot space there for them).

miss_c

Visit site
I've just bought a GFS Premier Prosperity bridle which is similar to all of the above. I also have a mare who loves the Micklem, but the leather (despite being looked after!) is not the quality I like and want. Trying it on her tomorrow for the first time, the leather is beautiful with good padding on the headpiece and anatomically designed. Perhaps worth a look?