Falling off - Help!

Jellicle

Visit site
I'm sitting here in some pain due to falling off last night, and I think I should accept there is a problem.

Spike is the horse I'm currently sharing. He is not a nasty horse at all. He can be spooky and quite forward going, but very genuine. The problem is that I fall off him more than I have any other horse!

I think there are several factors:
1. The saddle isn't ideal - it is a jumping saddle and I mostly do schooling and hacking out with him. this means I don't really have much leg support.
2. i'm not an ideal shape for riding. I'm a size 14/16 with thunder thighs, and a long body and short legs.
3. I have not a very good sense of balance!

How much of a difference do you think changing the saddle would make? I don't really want to buy a saddle as he isn't my horse - is there any way round that?

Is there anything else that would help - lunge lessons etc?

matthew

Visit site
Can you ask someone to lunge you ( if its safe) and then you can concentrate on you.
Work without stirrups will deepen you seat!
Or can you book a decent instructor to come and have a look- see if she can help with your position!

Madam_max

Visit site
Aww, your always putting youself down.
frown.gif

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
aww, sorry to hear this
i have just got a new saddle as kept falling off during spooking sessions, but think that mainly falling because my horse is so forward going i am afraid to grip to stay on like i have done with horses in the past. my friend commented that i land in exactly the position i have been in the saddle. (therefore making no attempt to stay on!
blush.gif
) she's been leading me out bareback to help my seat.

magicchett

Visit site
I really had NO balance until I bought polly, i had previously shared a chunky 14.2 cob, and switching was dramatic as polly is only 12.2!

As soon as i rode her i was all over the place and there was no way i would feel balanced on her! So, I decided to ride her bare back in the school and this REALLY HELPED!!.

Now when i ride my 14.2 arab, i feel totaly balanced! (its funny switching between the two, but good for the ridding!!

Tufty

Visit site
totally agree lunge lessons is what you need to deepen your seal, take your stirrups away borrow someone (whose really rich) fantastic dressage saddle and get your ass bones well and truly buried , ten of those and you will have better balance and a better seat.

If that doesnt work super glue !

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you thought about going on a bit of a fitness drive. Please, please, please don't take offence - but your size and shape could be an awful lot to do with your insecurity in the saddle.

Jellicle

Visit site
I think i will get some lunge lessons. I do have an instructor and we are working on sitting trot and deepening my seat, but Spike doesn't really spook during lessons!

I normally fall off when he spooks or turns unexpectedly and I'm caught off balance.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I am reading Sally Swifts book - Centred riding, its very good and has some good excercised both physical and mental to do, also ditto working (safely) with no stirrups.

the watcher

Visit site
Whjle your physique may not be the accepted ideal (but we can't all look like Anky) I don't think you can attribute any lack of balance to it, otherwise we could potentially write off all far eastern riders who typically have shorter legs and longer bodies. Likewise the fact that it is a jumping saddle should not be causing a major problem although I would agree that if you ride short you are compounding having all your weight and centre of balance high.

the issue is your balance and Yoga, ballet, alexander technique and big gym balls can all help with building core muscle stability and balance. In addition you need to analyse what happens when you feel it is all going wrong on the horse, do you lengthen through your leg, deepen your seat and ride the horse forward, or do you lift your knees, tip forwards and loose any chance of staying on?

LauraBR

Visit site
I found 'Ride with your mind' by Mary Wanless very useful for strenghtening my seat- full of useful exercises for in and out of the saddle.

Lunge lessons are a great idea. You could also ride with a balancing strap across your saddle D rings to grab onto if you have a wobble?

Jellicle

Visit site
Thanks all!
Okay, general consensus is that it isn't the fault of the saddle - at least that saves me money!

I think Amy May might be right that losing weight would help - I have put on weight in the past year.

I do tend to tip forwards and tense up when something goes wrong, but I don't think it is only that. Maybe it's a combination of that and the extra weight. I'll have a look at the book recommendations as well - thanks!

LoneRanger

Visit site
You could try using a neck strap as well. If you see a potentially spooky situation, just stick two fingers in the neck strap. If the horse whips round you can pull against the neck strap to hold yourself on. Good luck.

GTs

Visit site
Keep riding - it will make you a better rider. The harder the horse and the more insecure you feel, the better your riding will become.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
It could possibly be the saddle. My boy came with a GP saddle which just wasn't right for either of us. I couldn't seem to balance very well and he seemed a bit uncomfortable in it. Since I bought a new saddle, my riding has improved 100%, I feel more confident, I'm happier working without stirrups, I can sit deeper and above all, hes much more comfortable and works better for me.