Falling off - why you shouldn't get old...

blitznbobs

Visit site
So today I parted company from my youngster for the first time ... Just one of those things - 2 pigeons flew out of a tree right next to her and she did a 180 leaving me on the floor...

Now when I was young this happened regularly and it never worried me... But now all I can say is .... Ooouuuuccchhh...

Arzada

Visit site
So true! You jut don't bounce like you used to! Sadly I'm considering not riding again after recent bad injuries coming off my equally old horse who suddenly went from leisurely walk to racehorse mode.

JillA

Visit site
Know that feeling - used to be able to adjust my weight to sit a rear without even thinking about it, now it takes a weeks planning lol

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I know your pain. I was thrown by new horse (which I've returned) on Sunday. I am in an unbelievable amount of pain. Was concussed as well. Had been wearing BP for the first time in about 18 months as well. Someone was looking out for me.

Buying an air jacket on the way home from dropping it off!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Know that feeling - used to be able to adjust my weight to sit a rear without even thinking about it, now it takes a weeks planning lol

I now have too much weight to adjust to give me any hope of sitting out a tantrum !

I haven't come adrift for several years now and the last time I did was a spectacular double pike with triple somersault into water. I had sand where a lady should not have sand for weeks. I fell off a ladder last weekend, just two rungs high and into a conifer hedge, I am still stiff and sore so god help me if I come off a horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I was fine up until I had my son 3 years ago, pregnancy ruined me and the body just ain't the same anymore so yep it hurts now and I'm more conscious about falling off when I never used to be. I've only had 2 falls since I had my son but both were pretty nasty (one was 5 weeks after my c-section, got hurled off a youngster hitting my hip into a plastic jump block which resulted in torn muscles and permanent nerve damage and the other was falling off my 17.1hh and landing on my head and shoulder getting knocked out and damaging my shoulder so it permanently sits lower than the other!).

scheherazade

Visit site
Amen to this - I had a very unspectacular unplanned dismount in the school a couple of months back, thought I had winded myself but turns out I broke three ribs in the process. Definitely don't bounce as well as I did when younger, as a twenty something year old I had some crunching falls on hard ground and dusted myself off with just minor bruising :( Hope you feel better soon

Casey76

Visit site
I still can't ride after coming off my youngster on Easter Monday. What I thought was a simple muscle pull, really isn't healing as quickly as I thought, and I just can't sit astride at the moment - am beginning to think I might have to take up side saddle!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
So today I parted company from my youngster for the first time ... Just one of those things - 2 pigeons flew out of a tree right next to her and she did a 180 leaving me on the floor...

Now when I was young this happened regularly and it never worried me... But now all I can say is .... Ooouuuuccchhh...

Ouch poor you. I hope you're ok. Falling off - even when you don't particulary injure yourself - is so much more traumatic when you're older! Falling off as a kid/teenager resulted in getting back on and finishing what you started, and then having a wet paper towel for your injury afterwards.

I once got back on to finish my pairs jumping class after falling off in the class before, because my mum was finding another girl from the yard to take my place on my pony and I got jealous. Turned out I had broken my collarbone in 2 places! But we still came second :D

Very much doubt I'd do that now - I don't bounce as well. Bute, bath and bed for you tonight x

ozpoz

Visit site
Feel better soon!
Losing the ability to bounce, and failing eyesight are the two things I don't like about getting older.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ah, age! I used to come off, land on my feet still holding the reins and be back on before the horse knew I was off. Now it seems reactions are too slow, too stiff and the ground comes up much quicker.

pennyturner

Visit site
I've found that my ability to stay on has improved with age, but second the poster above about riding ponies, just in case!
Chin up OP. At least once you're better you'll have forgotten all about it.

Mrs G

Visit site
I didnt get to experience the no-fear-just-bounce-and-get-back-on kid/teenage rider thing, only really started riding (and equally so, falling off) as an adult, so its ALWAYS hurt! I'm telepathically sending you my sympathies, some arnica, a warm bath and painkillers x

As an aside, I've been told failing eyesight as you age is a blessing in disguise - when you look in the mirror you cant see the wrinkles...

Merrymoles

Visit site
I always used to land on my feet, if I knew I was coming off, or my face because it had happened so quickly! Doubt very much I would have the ability to land on my feet these days - takes me all my time to land safely when dismounting!

Hope you feel better soon bnb!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ouchy, yes, me too. Used to be able sit out the late chesnut git's leaps and pirouettes with ease. 'How did you sit that?' people would ask, admiringly.

Now it's more likely to be 'Why did you fall off?' as I tumble off a much steadier mount, plus it's about a fortnight before I will have eased up enough to get back on board.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Sorry to hear you had a fall OP. I couldn't read and run just in case I jinxed myself into falling off by doing so.

Recommend a warm bath, ralgex and nurofen! Hope your bumps and bruises heal quickly.

Starbuck

Visit site
I feel for you. I came off last week. Haven't done for years and didn't expect this- came out of the blue.

Got back on to ride and now my shoulder and knee are feeling a bit mangled- a week later. As you say, we just don't seem to bounce well anymore.

Britestar

Visit site
I got rocket propelled off my 16.3hh on Saturday 30 secs after getting on! Brand new, arrived the night before, airshell gilet fully tried and tested! It sure did make the landing much more acceptable.

Still a bit stiff, but I got back on (with a new canister attached) and rode the rest of the lesson that day, another in the pm, and one the next day (RC Camp). Best £450 I've ever spent!

micramadam

Visit site
I came off in October. My own fault but thank god I was wearing my air jacket. It got its first proper test and I am delighted to say that instead of thinking Ouch! I thought OMG that didn't hurt. Best money I have ever spent! Had I not been wearing this I would have definitely had broken ribs.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ladies with air jackets what did you go for? I got a point 2 but it doesn't seem to protect your neck like I was particularly wanting. Any thoughts?