Falling off - why you shouldn't get old...

flirtygerty

Visit site
My OH lost the use of his leg just after the New Year, that's when I realised just how old I was getting, having four horses, one 4yr old, I haven't dared ride any of them just in case I come off and get injured, kept the youngster going by longreining, but not ideal, there's hacking to die for here and sensible horses, but dare I risk it, we live too far out for family to help out much, so if I got hurt, we would be snookered.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I actually have a point 2 and mine does protect my neck. I love it! I presume you had it fitted properly before buying.

Yes but I couldn't see how it does that? I said to the lady in the shop and she said there's a bit that pops up oh no there isn't they've changed it. :-/

I haven't inflated it just going on photos online.

Last edited:

blodwyn1

Visit site
I have a hit air. I think it is superior to the point2 as it inflates outwards and doesn't wind you. It inflates right up around the neck and also right down to beyond the base of the spine as the bit at the bottom comes down when it is inflated. I had two falls where I walked away unscathed with no whiplash etc. The fall two weeks ago was at canter onto hard ground and although I walked away initially ,xrays showed a compression fracture of my T5 vertebra. My Drs tell me without the air jacket it would have been a lot worse! Hit Air have been brilliant and have the jacket back for examination and repair. I am in a lot of pain and it will be a 3 month recovery process But I am walking with a stick! My confidence has been shaken as I thought I was invincible in my air jacket which I wore for everything including dressage! I am 58 and had a bad back anyhow so now my husband doesn't want me to ride again but I am working on him! My competition pony is at a producers so he only has to look after the two retired ones. She is a pally section d!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have a hit air. I think it is superior to the point2 as it inflates outwards and doesn't wind you. It inflates right up around the neck and also right down to beyond the base of the spine as the bit at the bottom comes down when it is inflated. I had two falls where I walked away unscathed with no whiplash etc. The fall two weeks ago was at canter onto hard ground and although I walked away initially ,xrays showed a compression fracture of my T5 vertebra. My Drs tell me without the air jacket it would have been a lot worse! Hit Air have been brilliant and have the jacket back for examination and repair. I am in a lot of pain and it will be a 3 month recovery process But I am walking with a stick! My confidence has been shaken as I thought I was invincible in my air jacket which I wore for everything including dressage! I am 58 and had a bad back anyhow so now my husband doesn't want me to ride again but I am working on him! My competition pony is at a producers so he only has to look after the two retired ones. She is a pally section d!

Hope you recover quickly to ride her again :)

Wonder if the shop will take it back. They are usually quite good but they don't sell hitair. Urgh.

milos

Visit site
Love my air jacket. I have two point and bought it the year it came out. But if I was buying again I would buy a hit air only because it inflates out the way rather than in the way. However if cost is a factor for you and your not competing Eileen Douglas tack shop are doing two point for £249 but in colours rather than black

http://www.tackshop.co.uk/item/0000329892/point-two-pro-air-jacket-coloured

Do remember that air jackets are not strike tested unlike body protectors hence why you need to wear both cross country. This is why I wear both every time I ride.

If you find body protectors in general un comfortable so don't wear one. I can highly recommend race safe body protectors as the are small cubes and have laces down the side so you can let in or out. Ie if your weight fluctuates or you want to wear over a think jacket in winter. You can also get a short back version so it doesn't catch on the back of the saddle.

blodwyn1

Visit site
If you know your size you can buy online from Hit Air. If you'd
watch the video of that guy at badminton at the lake his air jacket was a hit air! I would stress the importance of setting the lanyard at the right length if like me you are riding a 14:2 as you have less far to fall for it to inflate!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you know your size you can buy online from Hit Air. If you'd
watch the video of that guy at badminton at the lake his air jacket was a hit air! I would stress the importance of setting the lanyard at the right length if like me you are riding a 14:2 as you have less far to fall for it to inflate!

Yes I'm looking at pics online and thinking of my neck injury from last week and thinking I am not convinced the point 2 would have prevented it! Its also heavier than I expected. The hit air looks like it has less material involved.

My mare is 14.2 as well so will bear that in mind. Thanks!