Famous horse and hond vibes required for my girl

tikino

Visit site
my poor baby(3 yr old) ellie is really poorly it all started on week past on thursday she was sedated and had her wolf teeth removed. then on the friday she was crippled in the field on 3 legs anyway it turned out to be a bad abscess so vet came out and sorted it and she was put on box rest. then on the saturday she had hardly ate anything and therefore not much poo. the abscess ended up bursting out the heal and Connery band. She has a 2 inch nasty wound on her heal which when she walks the heal talks if you get my drift. Anyway she is still not eating hay 1 week later and lost loads of weight vet queried chronic grass sickness yesterday as she is so tucked up and was salivating really babdly etc. dentist came back out today and cleaned up gaps in her teeth and she is on bute and antibiotics. so we now need to pray that she starts eating again soon

Tiffany

Visit site
Poor Ellie, have you tried tempting her with anything else such as hand picked grass, haylage, soaked hay, alfa, horseage.

Hope she's soon on the mend.

lhotse

Visit site
I would take her out onto some grass, hay is not appetizing when they are feeling poorly but grass might tempt her. Have you taken her temperature? I take it she is on antibiotics, my old mare would not eat when on those. I think you should get some grass into her. Doctor Green is the best medicine.

tikino

Visit site
Hope she gets better, have you soaking it? Xx
yeh we have triedd soaked hay failed

Poor Ellie, have you tried tempting her with anything else such as hand picked grass, haylage, soaked hay, alfa, horseage.
we are slowly working our way through all sorts of food from short chops redi grass haylage fast fibre

Hope she's soon on the mend.

I would take her out onto some grass, hay is not appetizing when they are feeling poorly but grass might tempt her. Have you taken her temperature? I take it she is on antibiotics, my old mare would not eat when on those. I think you should get some grass into her. Doctor Green is the best medicine.

we are taking her to the grass by the stables as due to her heel being in such a mess she can't really be of box rest picking at the grass but not really that interested. temperature is normal and she is now on both antibiotics and bute. vet visits daily

sugar beet, fast fibre, veteran mix, any allan and paige food form the soaked range, anything soft and mushy really xx

we are giving her really mushy food as want to try and make sure she is getting enough fluids into her as well. if i could put her out onto the grass i would

lhotse

Visit site
I would get the foot really well bandaged up and turn her out on a very small patch of good grass for a few hours. If she's feeling ill, she's unlikely to run about, but the grass will start her gut moving again and put her in a better frame of mind.

tikino

Visit site
I would get the foot really well bandaged up and turn her out on a very small patch of good grass for a few hours. If she's feeling ill, she's unlikely to run about, but the grass will start her gut moving again and put her in a better frame of mind.

not sure this would be possible with the ground being so wet but will speak to the vet in the morning when she is out

Nari

Visit site
If you put plenty of duck tape over the bandage it will be waterproof for a few hours.

I hope she's better soon x

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this... I've been through the mill with my mare and it's awful. If she will eat soaked feed, get some Allen and page fast fibre, fill buckets of the stuff and leave it in. My mare was more comfy eating from higher up, so perhaps invest in an over the door bucket in case she feels uncomfortable eating off the ground. Look at the grass sickness page there are case studies with feeding ideas. My mares last thing she actually would eat was mollichaff, there is a conditioning one. I can also reccomend some haemavite b plus, your vet will probably have it in stock, it's a great blood tonic and the b vitamins are essential in these cases, I swear it's what kept ebony going as long as she did. Probiotic... Proteinex about 14 pounds. Oil if you can get it down her to help and protect the guts. Balancer... High calories and protein... Will get everything she needs inside her in small dose for stuffy eaters, ring food companies for tempting treats... They sent me lots of samples. Walk out in hand even if she doesn't want to graze to keep her spirits up. Hand feeding often works when appetite is low, ebony thought she was having treats. Good luck, everything is crossed for you and your mare xxx

Parker79

Visit site
Op - Hope she is doing better today? Nothing to add except some well wishes

QB - Ok, you have totally got me crying now...you have been through so much and here you are trying to help someone else...bless your heart QB I will never ever forget your story.

Sorry for hijack - just had to be said.

OP got my fingers crossed for you that she picks up today, with her mouth hurting so much as well as her foot she probably doesn't know where to put herself. One thought...can you see if she will show interest in a lick? might put her into eating mode and encourage drinking.

tikino

Visit site
still not really eating much today but did have a few handfuls has loads of buckets in her stable with different options on the menu in each bucket and vet tubed her and gave her loads of fluids not that much in the way of poo 2 overnight and 2tonight. she has a lick but not really interested in that either. has some gut sounds which is really good. she will see vet again 2mrw and all being well we will be eating

Parker79

Visit site
OP - that sounds more positive. Fingers still crossed for you, thank you for the update. Hope she has her appetite back tomo :)

MrVelvet

Visit site
Have you had bloods taken? I get my results for my boy in about half an hour! I really do sympathise with you... Its an awful awful thing to go through :( really hope she picks up soon. So many of these mystery illness' about it seems :( xx

Tiffany

Visit site
I don't know anything about GS apart from it's a horrible disease & there seems to be a lot if it about at the moment. Really hope. Ellie pulls through. (((hugs)))