Famous small horses - Can you name some?

BEVol

Visit site
Not famous yet but my (grown up) daughter successfully events a 14.1! That's them in my Avatar, still at grassroots but Joss (Grey) is aiming them for a Novice run this season. I won't be watching that's for sure :D

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Think Red Rum was + 16hh, although looked small compared to some of his rivals, and the fences!!

My mare is barely 15hh, and is very famous - in my eyes!! lol

joy

Visit site
Claret
Stroller
Psalm
Our Nobby - eventer 1960s
Battleship - 15 hand Grand National winner 1936?
Hyperion
Dundrum

mon

Visit site
Did not know he varied so much 15.1-17.2hh eight plus inches! Some horse or platform shoes.

Javabb94

Visit site
Allover - yes it's Michael whitakers mare but he sold her to a small lady rider can't remember who now !

Sorry can't quote on my phone :D

LansdownK310

Visit site
Clevedon Merry Lady measured at 15hh but I think she was actually smaller - she completed Badminton in 1996, picture of her jumping into the lake on the riding centre website.

SpottedCat

Visit site
TBH the very fact that so many names are being repeated time and time again on this thread shows that not many very small horses get to the very top, and those that do, are remembered because there aren't many of them!

Kokopelli

Visit site
TBH the very fact that so many names are being repeated time and time again on this thread shows that not many very small horses get to the very top, and those that do, are remembered because there aren't many of them!

This sadly.

The little guys are fab in the lower levels as they are nippier but I don't think many make it.
It's also interesting that a 15hh competing at Novice BE is about 3k more expensive than a 16 + doing it.

I sometimes wish I had my boy before he started pony racing as I think he could have gone far but the racing has really messed with him mentally and physically.

Sportznight

Visit site
One every so slightly famous small horse would be Northern Dancer...

Roderic O'Connor who won the Irish 2000 Guineas last weekend is a tiddler!

When I met Rahy I thought he looked like a tall Section B, he's about 15.1hh. THunder Gulch who won the Kentucky Derby in 1995, is only 15.2hh, yet he sired Point Given, winner of the Preakness and Belmont in 2001 and he is 17.1hh.

Seagram, who won the last Grand National sponsored by Seagram, in 1991, who I believe was 15.1hh.

Lolo

Visit site
This sadly.

The little guys are fab in the lower levels as they are nippier but I don't think many make it.
It's also interesting that a 15hh competing at Novice BE is about 3k more expensive than a 16 + doing it.

I sometimes wish I had my boy before he started pony racing as I think he could have gone far but the racing has really messed with him mentally and physically.

The price is because a 15hh-ish horse is going to appeal massively to parents of uner 18s for JRNs. I know I would rather have my sister on a small horse than a big one, and when we were looking we were looking for something under 16hh.

Small horses- what about Patrius Filius? He was pretty diddy (and very solid!) and did well. And Noble Springbok, although he is *just* a pony trials pony, he is pretty special!

LizzieJ

Visit site
One every so slightly famous small horse would be Northern Dancer...

Roderic O'Connor who won the Irish 2000 Guineas last weekend is a tiddler!

When I met Rahy I thought he looked like a tall Section B, he's about 15.1hh. THunder Gulch who won the Kentucky Derby in 1995, is only 15.2hh, yet he sired Point Given, winner of the Preakness and Belmont in 2001 and he is 17.1hh.

Seagram, who won the last Grand National sponsored by Seagram, in 1991, who I believe was 15.1hh.

Tenby was pretty tiny too :)

caramel

Visit site
How big was Docklands Express?

He was 15.2.

Mill Reef was 15.3. As was his classic winning son Glint of Gold.. i believe he was 15.2/3.

How big was speciosa? I knew she was tiny...

Pippa Funnell's eventer Ensign was pretty small aswell.. just touches 16h, hence the stable name Titch!

Cyclops

Visit site
The price is because a 15hh-ish horse is going to appeal massively to parents of uner 18s for JRNs. I know I would rather have my sister on a small horse than a big one, and when we were looking we were looking for something under 16hh.

So does that make my 6 year old 15.2 who's now doing BE Novice worth more than the 16hh+ ones - I was thinking people wanted the bigger neddies!

Lolo

Visit site

So does that make my 6 year old 15.2 who's now doing BE Novice worth more than the 16hh+ ones - I was thinking people wanted the bigger neddies!

If he's good- yes! In one PC branch near us, parents willingly pay way over £10k (rumour has it one horse who had a mediocre record at best, but was safe and willing, was bought for £25k?!) for a nice 'little' eventer so little darling can do all the Open teams and JRN stuff whilst being at boarding school during the term time. 16hh+ just doesn't have the same appeal for those coming off ponies apparently.

Cyclops

Visit site
If he's good- yes! In one PC branch near us, parents willingly pay way over £10k (rumour has it one horse who had a mediocre record at best, but was safe and willing, was bought for £25k?!) for a nice 'little' eventer so little darling can do all the Open teams and JRN stuff whilst being at boarding school during the term time. 16hh+ just doesn't have the same appeal for those coming off ponies apparently.

Well - She's a little star (in my eyes) qualified for Lycetts finals as 4 and 5 yo and did the Grassroots finals BE100 this year - If she had a better jockey she probably would be up there (my attempts at dressage leave a lot to be desired! - She moves well but my tension gets through as soon as we are in the arena!!) aiming for CIC* 6 year old now - but finances dictate I may sadly need to sell at some stage. Food for thought!

Mrjacks0n

Visit site
ahhh just took me right back watching tv with my dad when i was a kid and horsy crazy, Vibart and stroller, ryans son , i really think they were the best s j days ever,