Fancy dress charity ride

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
I am thinking of taking part in a sponsored hack for cancer research UK, but would like to perhaps wear some sort of fancy dress, to make it stand out from the hacking I do all the time. Any ideas of costumes or themed outfits that could work with a bay horse? Preferably nothing too complicated or expensive! So far I've thought of us being:
- A fairy and unicorn (wings and tutu for me, horn and ribbons for him)
- Jessie and Bullseye (cowgirl costume for me, no costume for him)

Any ideas? I'm not dead set on both of us being dressed up if just one of us would work better.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What a lovely idea!!

Sorry can't help with ideas.... my brain doesn't work that way so I'll leave it to others.

But.... speaking as one who's had the unfortunate experience of it happening with my old boy; do bear in mind that unless your horse is totally unflappable/bomb-proof to the extent that you could literally drop a H-bomb on his tail (LOL), that your dear old plod (if that's what your horse is), can turn into a loonatic racehorse at the sight of someone's feather boa drifting in the breeze; or bells jangling from someone's saddle.

Just saying!! Sorry don't want to spoil your fun; but I had a very hairy experience with my old lad (bless him...... NOT!!!) in a collecting ring at a local show. Bit-of-an "unscheduled dismount" moment basically :)

Anyway, hope it goes well!!

Do please show us some piccs!

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
No, you are totally right! He's not a plod but he is pretty bombproof - he's had no issue with a rather flimsy (and phallic looking!) DIY unicorn horn flopping around his head and fake flowers on his bridle in the past but even so, I don't want to add anything too "out of the ordinary" - I won't be fitting him with tentacles or wings or anything, I'd rather just customise his tack/exercise sheets etc rather than "create" strange accessories that are totally alien to him - I could duct tape some fabric to an exercise sheet and wrap some things fake vines around his neck strap for example.

Obviously I would take time to check he's desensitised to whatever he and I will end up wearing just to make sure :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
No, you are totally right! He's not a plod but he is pretty bombproof - he's had no issue with a rather flimsy (and phallic looking!) DIY unicorn horn flopping around his head and fake flowers on his bridle in the past but even so, I don't want to add anything too "out of the ordinary" - I won't be fitting him with tentacles or wings or anything, I'd rather just customise his tack/exercise sheets etc rather than "create" strange accessories that are totally alien to him - I could duct tape some fabric to an exercise sheet and wrap some things fake vines around his neck strap for example.

Obviously I would take time to check he's desensitised to whatever he and I will end up wearing just to make sure :)

Ehmmm, the "phallic-looking unicorn-horn" thingy sounds VERY interesting??? OMG the mind boggles. Wanna share any pics?? LOL.

Just had a thought: probably exceedingly tasteless, but having had a Friday-nite-at-home glass of wine (sad I know), I wonder whether you could go as a "Royal mum". i.e. dress yourself up in a posh-frock, and have a doll in front of you on the saddle all done up proper with a Prince-Harry-type orange beard & hair.

It just might be fun??

But if it is the imaginings of a glass or two of good wine then please feel free to discard.

Enjoy!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our RC did a 'bra ride' one year for Breast Cancer charities. Most riders had a large pink bra over their normal riding clothes but 1 or 2 made a special effort, the bra with googly eyes on springs almost caused a car crash/heart attack on our narrow lanes.:eek:

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
Ehmmm, the "phallic-looking unicorn-horn" thingy sounds VERY interesting??? OMG the mind boggles. Wanna share any pics?? LOL.

Just had a thought: probably exceedingly tasteless, but having had a Friday-nite-at-home glass of wine (sad I know), I wonder whether you could go as a "Royal mum". i.e. dress yourself up in a posh-frock, and have a doll in front of you on the saddle all done up proper with a Prince-Harry-type orange beard & hair.

It just might be fun??

But if it is the imaginings of a glass or two of good wine then please feel free to discard.

Enjoy!

It was a stuffed/padded horn and it flopped around a fair bit XDScreenshot_20190510-214042~2.png
Screenshot_20190510-214042~2.png

npage123

Visit site
Well done with the effort of making the unicorn but LOL, I would have laughed so much at the sight of that thang flopping up and down and left and right...

I was wondering - it's not really fancy dress - but how about using (pink for breast cancer?) chalk and drawing your horse's skeletal structure like they do in some veterinary talks?

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
His owner made it and forgot it was attached to the bridle (I only part-loan him). We got a lot of funny looks! I'd probably buy a clip on horn next time I fancy riding a unicorn!

I thought about doing just pink everything but it's not specifically breast cancer, it's just cancer research uk. It's a back up though if a costume proves too much hassle!

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
Our RC did a 'bra ride' one year for Breast Cancer charities. Most riders had a large pink bra over their normal riding clothes but 1 or 2 made a special effort, the bra with googly eyes on springs almost caused a car crash/heart attack on our narrow lanes.:eek:

This sounds amazing but I don't think the charity is specifically for breast cancer - I would totally do this with a group but I may be riding solo and I don't think I have the guts for that by myself XD