FAO GTs...Barbaro

Patches

Visit site
Just saw this You Tube clip of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3olqKiBJgg&mode=related&search=

He looked like he was some awesome racer. Stunning animal. Looking at the pics of him needing two grooms to hold him in the stable and his hoolie at turnout...how on Earth will he ever cope with leading a "normal" life again?

Seeing these Clip has brought home to me just what has become of him now since his accident. Yes it is truly remarkable that he survived full stop, but as some one else said..I'm not sure it sits well with me at all. Will he ever be remembered for what he achieved on the track like most racing legends are...or will people always talk about his accident and post recovery status?

S_N

Visit site
Bloody Hell - that was such a powerfull video!!! The pictures were awesome - Barabara is an awesome photographer!! That music was brilliant!! And the timing of the picture changes for the music was amazing - almost like choreography (sp?)!!

I do feel for the horse, I really do!!

Skhosu

Visit site
Well, I guess this is the first test case, and if by some miracle it does work out well, surely some good has come of it.
I read of a horse I think once with a fake leg, he had to get it taken off and the pressure sores treated every day..that to me isn't right, I'm still on the fence on barbaro.

GTs

Visit site
Patches you have read far too much into those stills - where you say he needed 2 grooms to hold him in the stable, that is actually the saddling area. After walking infront of spectators, who are cheering you will find every horse is wound up and require 2 people.

The pictures of him being turned out - every horse displays that type of behavior.

I think considering Barbaro has taken such good care of himself so far, and has been praised by the staff at UPenn about the way he handled his injury you have to give him the benefit of the doubt!!!

I spent the day down the equine hospital and we discussed Barbaro - the thought there after the video earlier this week - he is one lucky horse!! I have to agree!!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Hi GT, I'm in two minds on this one. In one way he was lucky to survive such a horrific injury, but on the other hand how lucky he is depends on the quality of the rest of his life. If he is pain free and settles happily into a much quieter life then great, but if not is he really that luck?

GTs

Visit site
All signs at this point indicate that he has settled into the quieter life - he has been on stall rest for 7 months and goes on short walks without fuss. The farm manager of the Jackson's farm is the one who is responsible these days for his walk, and will be incharge of his care once he is released (very soon), and last week his owners grand children were in his stall with him, which is a testiment to him and all who care for him!!

It seems like many people here want to kill him, suggesting falsey on aspects of recovering/injury - I will admit that when he had laminitis I thought his time was up - but now I do not want anything more than him to do well.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Don't see the problem then, all the time he is healthy and happy with his lot. Provided his owners have his best interest at heart and not $ from protential stud fees then no problem.

GTs

Visit site
He is insured for death, and loss of use as a stud for $20,000,000 which is what Smarty Jones he closes competitor syndicated as a stallion for - so they gain nothing financially from this.

Patches

Visit site
GTs

Of course I don't want to "kill him". God no, he's been through 7 months of intensive treatment and has endured a painful battle to survive, not just the injury but even more so the laminitis. To have put Barbaro through this extensive treatment period, I do wholeheartedly believe he deserves the chance now to have some time out in the field to hopefully just be a horse again. To PTS him now would mean the whole experiment to save him would totally have been in vain and that would be so unfair to Barbaro given the stoical way he's dealt with all that's befallen him.

Of course, if he was my horse and I saw the accident I know I'd have been pleading with the vets to save him, try anything. It's the kind if treatment program I'd expect from someone like me, a pony patter. Once I'd headed down the treating him route, I'd have thrown everything at him, you just do. It's natural, you don't want to quit or give up as everything you've already tried would have been pointless. No one likes to fail.

Personally, seeing the you tube video and the stills you posted earlier in the week, I thought his joint looked deformed (as anyone would expect after such a break) but that he looked "ok-ish" given what had happened to him. It was just the video of him walking that I can't deny made me think "Oh God, poor horse".

I guess the main difference between us Brits and stateside is that we just don't get behind a horse's recovery of this sort simply because I don't believe a vet would have tried to save him in this country. In many ways it is refreshing to see owners class the horse as a special pet almost, and not just a commodity. If they had, they'd obviously have put him down and claimed the insurance pay out.

I do commend what the tried to do. Time will tell if Barbaro can settle into the life of a field ornament and enjoy his retirement. I just have this horrible thought that once loose in the field he'll have a massive hoolie and the leg will break down again. (Having said that, I've seen a picture of all of the metal work in there and I reckon Mr Meccano himself would be proud of that work!).

It would be nice to see a Barbaro Jnr or two in the future though. I wish him well, but I will never forget the image of him walking on that video last week and I can't help but wonder whether it was right to even try and save him. Again, only time will tell. If he lives a long and happy life, enjoying his new role then of course, the owners and veterinarians will be vindicated in their decision for the most part and I will be the first one to hold my hands up and say "bloody well done, I was wrong, you were right and I'm really pleased to hear it!"

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, seeing the you tube video and the stills you posted earlier in the week, I thought his joint looked deformed (as anyone would expect after such a break) but that he looked "ok-ish" given what had happened to him. It was just the video of him walking that I can't deny made me think "Oh God, poor horse".

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the vet described him walking to me yesterday - was walk around with your knee locked, yes you walk kind of funny, would be even more noticable if you tried to run, but it does not hurt - it makes sense.

Patches

Visit site
I know what you mean, I remember "insta-limp" syndrome well when I had grazed my knee as a young child.

Often things in life do look worse than they are and Barbaro has clearly gotten used to his new gait over the months.

I just pray that after all he's been through he can continue to thrive when turned out in a field. They are the pictures I'm looking forward to seeing...happy and contended Barbaro living a life of luxury at pasture.