FAO - HORSEGIRL

Tia

Visit site
Just so you can see the response to your continued naivety on living in different countries - here is my reply to you in the other thread:

"I have explained this to you before. The buying power of $17 is exactly the same as the buying power of £17. You are yet again talking about the exchange rate which has absolutely no bearing on anyone who earns money in Canada......it only affects prices if you are bringing £'s into Canada and paying for everything in £'s.

General rough prices:
Gas - 89 cents per litre in Canada - 89p per litre in UK
Decent house - $300,000 in Canada - comparable house in UK - £300,000
Salary - $30,000 in Canada - comparable to £30,000 in UK
Car - $15,000 in Canada - comparable car £15,000 in UK

Do you understand now?? The exchange rate has absolutely NO bearing on buying power for the person living in that country. "

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
........ and breath
crazy.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

weasel27

Visit site
I'm amazed by how deliberately argumentative this thread is. Why would you bother posting a whole separate thread just so everyone can see you making someone else feel stupid.

Normally a lurker on here - but really!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Have not read the other thread, but I do suppose the exception to this is if you have money – then, effectively, you do get ‘more’ for your money – for instance if you have £500,000 ‘spare’ you could probably buy a lot more if you went and spent it in Canada than if you spent it over here, because of the interest rates etc. It is the same anywhere….

I do agree that if you live in Canada and earn all of your wages in Canadian $ nothing is ‘cheaper’ as the costs are all relative….

But if I had £10k to go on a shopping spree I would spend it in the US as the interest rate means I can get more for my money.

Would somebody pass poor Tia some rescue remedy?

PS amymay it is BreathE not breath!

Patches

Visit site
So that means, a bottle of "extremely bad for you" milk is the same in Canada as in England.
wink.gif

Get more for dollar on the exchange rate in theory, but in practice, when spending and earning in dollars or pounds, everything is relative really. The dollar only goes further if you convert your pound to a dollar and then spend it in Canada. Goes no further at all if you already have a dollar to start with.

I get it! Long winded, but I certainly get it!
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
Dead right there Sooty!

The times I've heard people say..."My house is now worth X amount" and then tell you what was available for that price when they bought their cheapies year ago! They seem to forget that the other houses have also increased in value.

Obviously the ER has no relevance to anyone earning and spending within the same currency.
If you earn your wages in the uk in sterling do you work out the convrsion to US $'s before spending the money in the UK in sterling? No, you would only work it out if you earned it here and then spent it there!

Not read the other thread but the ER does play apart in how 'rich' you are if you have lived and earnt in one country and then move to another country. The money you take with you will buy less/more depending where you came from and where you are now and if for eg you sell your hose in the UK to buy another in the states then an equivalent house will leave you with money left over (£'s as from sale of UK house so will go further) or you can get a better house.
So your assets earnt previous to moving are affected by the ER but earnings are not!

horsegirl

Visit site
Only just seen your reply and you have most certainly NOT "explained this to me before". It is a simple fact that £17 DOES NOT EQUAL $17. I do understand what you are saying about buying power but that is not the same thing at all. There is absolutely no need to be so aggressive and rude, if you are trying to make me look stupid you have only succeeded in making yourself look like a petty fool! Perhaps some people will cower under your attempt at bullying but you can think again if you think I will!

horsegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So that means, a bottle of "extremely bad for you" milk is the same in Canada as in England.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And if that is not a blatant attempt to cause another arguement I don't know what is! Completely uncalled for. I'm not surprised some people come on here and then leave complaining about the bitchyness, fortunately I have much thicker skin!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The exchange rate has absolutely NO bearing on buying power for the person living in that country. "

[/ QUOTE ]

True but playing devils advocate then buying power compared across borders would have to be factored to take in to account average wage.

Thus UK average wage = £300
Canadian average wage = $400

then it would be fair to say that the Canadian dollar has more buying power
smirk.gif

Out of interest, how does the average wage in canada compare to UK?

filly190

Visit site
Tia, I am most surprised to read this post from you. You are normally very sensitive and diplomatic, I think your post is a little harsh and does not come over very well.

Patches

Visit site
I'm not trying to cause any more arguments with you horsegirl. Far from it. It's just I'll always associate your name with the first time I came across you on the forum and I'll always think of you as the girl who thinks that milk is extremely bad for you.

I chuckle now when I think about that....not in an offensive, demeaning way to yourself, but when I think about how I spent an entire day glued to the computer to the exclusion of everything else....such as a potty break or even food!

I know what you are trying to say. But if the dollar is worth less to the pound, you can buy less with it. So if their produce is cheaper than ours it all works out evens in the end.

Only works for us if we take some sterling, convert it to dollars and then use the money to buy products in dollars. As Tia says, if she's earning in dollars, she doesn't see any difference.

monica123

Visit site
I understand exactly where you are coming from tia - the exchange rate says the dollar is worth more (or the other way i am not bothered lol) but in the long run it all works out even

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tia, I am most surprised to read this post from you. You are normally very sensitive and diplomatic..........

[/ QUOTE ]

...........*P_G splutters on her tea*..............

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tia, I am most surprised to read this post from you. You are normally very sensitive and diplomatic..........

[/ QUOTE ]

...........*P_G splutters on her tea*..............

[/ QUOTE ] PMSL! I did wonder if Filly190 had been on the magic mushrooms
tongue.gif