FAO: thoses who have bred from a coloured mare

Irishcobs

Visit site
Have you put to a non-coloured stallion and what colour was the foal?

Hattie is piebald and I would like a non coloured if I can get one, so I was told chestnut would be the best to put her to.

peapod

Visit site
There's a Dales stallion - Dartdale Grey Bobbie - he is grey, and covered a coloured mare - the mare then produced a whole black foal with a white star - so it can be done!

seaofdreams

Visit site
if you put her to a solid stallion any foal will have a 50% chance of being coloured
unless your mare is homozygous in which case the foal will be coloured.
if your mare is heterozygous she will carry 1 solid and 1 coloured gene if the foal inherits the coloured gene the foal will be coloured as the coloured gene is dominant if the foal inherits the solid gene it will be solid

i have just put my coloured to a solid but am hopeing for a coloured
Hx

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
If you have the breeding for the maer, and the stallion, surely you can do a Patchetts square to calculate the chances of having a soild colour foal. Where I used to work we had one stallion who always threw foals that looked EXACTLY like him, no matter what the mare was.

This 'might' help
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/~lvmillon/coatcolor/coatclr3.html#assign

S_N

Visit site
I don't quite understand how breeding to a Chestnut would reduce the chances of a coloured? Yes Chestnut horses only have chestnut (palomino??) genes, but they are recessive genes - not dominant ones!! Surely you'd be better off breedingher to a true breeding bay or a grey............

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Agree with you SN - reaching back to BSc Equine Genetics I can say that unless you know whether you mare is a hetero or homozygous coloured you cannot not guarantee a non coloured foal - as for giving a try chestnut would be the worst as it is recessive and it takes two chestnut genes to make a chestnut horse. The strongest is grey so try one of those of bay or black these are stronger than chestnut