Farrier!! grr!! *rant*

Mistyrocks

Visit site
One of horses at the riding school called Phantom (15.3hh cremello gelding), has been shod with what looks like now one size too small shoes. Therefore this has caused his hooves to splay out, especially at the back. Thus him to be very trippy, and he tripped over tuesday badly due to this, this farrier used to be good but now his work is shoddy.....

sorry rant over!!
smile.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
mmmm, from experience (used to have a Cremello) they do need a very sympathetic farrier as they're prone to hoof splitting and just general crap feet!

Poor thing - sack the farrier !

Mistyrocks

Visit site
yeah but at least he turns up!! We have had two before that didn't turn up when they were supposed to. Phants also has a long back, which doesn't help matters with his feet!

Parkranger

Visit site
I had a saddlebred so was quite short coupled! He used to have to be shod very long - people used to think it looked weird but that's the way it had to be done!

Doublethyme

Visit site
Going through the same thing with my sister's horse at the moment (mine's under a barefoot trimmer). Our previously excellent farrier seems to be losing the plot and I am very unhappy with the way things are going with my sister's horse.

Shod last week, fine before, not been quite "right" since - fine in school, but just not striding out in front on harder ground. Farrier came back said there was nothing he could find, but fitted pads anyway and had the gall to charge nearly £50 for the visit and pads!!! Unfortunately neither of us could be there, so it was just done and dusted.

Trouble is the farrier has apprentices and it is them that have been shoeing the horse and not well IMHO, I feel they may have cut him back too much this time at the toe, hence the footiness. Its such a shame as pre barefoot I have been a customer for 6 years and my sister since she bought her boy 4 years ago and they were always shod really well, but now.......!
frown.gif
I'm even more glad he doesn't do my mare anymore and have told my sister to change, particularly as this particular farrier charges more than most of the others in the area and is still charging her full whack (£80+) even when the apprentices are "practicing" on him!!!!!

vicm2509

Visit site
When I bought my horse he had small shoes on due to the fact he over reached a little. My farrier kept the small shoes on him when I bought him but the same thing happend to mine (his hooves started to grow over them). Now he has normal ones on the front, slightly smaller on the back and over reach boots on 24/7.

I bought some keratex which has worked really well in getting his hooves back in condition. May be worth a try until you find the right farrier. I used hoof moisture for the cracks and hoof hardner to keep the shoes on.