Farrier Prices...BEWARE MANY QUESTIONS!!

madabouthehorse

Visit site
ugh...just had to type this all again as puter decided to turn off! :(

Right well anyway...here goes!

Have been looking at farriers prices lately and seems that its around:
Full Set- £60
Fronts and back trimming- £40
Fronts only-£30
Trimming all- £20

Now for the long list of questions:

What do you pay?
Does the price get affected if you have just one horse at home and have the farrier out vs on a yard and more than one at a time?
Do you pay more for evening/weekend shoeing?
Hot/cold shoeing prices affected?
Prices in Hampshire?? (have you noticed EVERYTHING is more expensive?!!)

well done if you read all that...and even better if you have an answer :) told you it was a lot of questions ;)

abbieandfiona

Visit site
35 for fronts if whole set then 60
trim 15
i keep all of mine in place i rent makes no differences if i just get one done or all 4 of them i keep mine in Somerset.

nokia

Visit site
I refuse to pay 60.00 every 6 weeks..its a rip off, so i have my horses trimmed which i still find expensive 20 quid and it takes 5 min, and use hoof boots

Foxhunter49

Visit site
It is now nearly £90 for a set, £25 for trims.
There are other farriers in the area that are a lot cheaper but not as good. Several of my horses ended up with corns when I used them so I would rather pay more.

Don't forget that VAT went up so that has caused a lot of the increase.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
£140 for 1 set and 3 trims and no it doesn't matter what time of the day and I would never dream of asking him to shoe at the weekends as he has a family life.

Geraldine

Visit site
£40 fronts and rear trim. My farrier hasn't put his prices up for 18 months as he know's we're all struggling financially. Top chap and all the horses love him. :D AND he's flipping marvellous!

indie999

Visit site
£50 full set heavy cob hot shoe

£20 a trim

doesnt matter what day time etc

I know he is reliable and cheaper than others. Good relationship as has shoed many local horses and worth his weight in gold he only put the price up as fuel went up! Will only shoe good well behaved too.

I think I am lucky. But I shoe every other pay month(so 8 weeks). Now just trim no shoes.

I am sure if I lived in the middle of no where it would be more which would be fine.

muddypony

Visit site
£70 a set (or £75 for a cheque which is annoying). Depends a bit on what mood he's in and whether the horse has annoyed him!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
there are ALOT of farriers in our area so prices are competitive.

£35-38 for fronts shod and backs trimmed.
Dont know full set as my lad only has fronts

LadyRascasse

Visit site
What do you pay?
£75 for full set and £50 for fronts and hind trim

Does the price get affected if you have just one horse at home and have the farrier out vs on a yard and more than one at a time?
My farrier only does my horse so price never changes

Do you pay more for evening/weekend shoeing?
my farrier does mine on a saturday as i work 9-5 mon-fri, he used to shoe on a thursday and price hasn't changed

Hot/cold shoeing prices affected?
farrier only cold shoes and i prefer this

Prices in Hampshire?? (have you noticed EVERYTHING is more expensive?!!)
my farrier is from hampshire!

Jesstickle

Visit site
£70 for a full set
£50 for fronts and hinds trimmed
£26 for a trim. But a good, useful barefoot trim that you can actually ride on rather than half the sole paired away type trim.

I love my farrier. He is never late, kind but fair to my horses and does a beautiful job. Same charge for one or many but we always try and arrange for him to do several at once to save him travelling over all the time and we make space for him in the week because he has kids. Although he does work weekends and charges the same.

Plus he is bare foot/ hoof health savvy and has good advice re diet, supplements etc.

StormyMoments

Visit site
£65 for full set
£35 for fronts
£20 for trim
and an extra £10 if im on my own

im in hampshire/surrey and yes my farrier is quite cheap compared to a previous £110 for a set :O didnt use him for long!

BentleyBelly

Visit site
I'm in Hampshire. Full set, hot shod, brilliant farrier, £75. We have 2 horses done at the same time and makes no difference. Horses do have fab feet though and only need doing once every 7/8 weeks. Farrier is also good at reusing the shoes if they are not that worn and it saves us a tenner a set.

PennyJ

Visit site
I'm in Hampshire. Full set, hot shod, brilliant farrier, £75. We have 2 horses done at the same time and makes no difference. Horses do have fab feet though and only need doing once every 7/8 weeks. Farrier is also good at reusing the shoes if they are not that worn and it saves us a tenner a set.

Yes me too, - £75/full set hot shod includes road nails. Every 7 weeks. Ponies are shod together to make life easier for us and him, but on the rare occasion one has come off, he has come back out to redo it, no problem at all. Best decision I ever made switching to this farrier 2 years ago. I think you get what you pay for. Oh, and he comes on time - that alone is priceless as so many farriers run hours late.

scrat

Visit site
Full set £75 ( £85 for our big lad )
Trim £25
No discount for four horses and I pay extra for fuel as we moved further away and wanted to keep the same farrier.
He's very reliable and always turns up on time.

learningcurve

Visit site
I pay the same as OP, I'm in Wilts.

I have my 4 done every six weeks as a rule but 2 being trimmed every 4 weeks currently as feet are growing so fast.

Hot shod if in shoes.

Always have a 9am saturday slot.

nikCscott

Visit site
I pay £20 call out and then it must be £50 for a full set and £10 for a pony trim all around.

I think it's cheap because my warmblood who my farrier calls Nemo has a 'special' foot which takes so long to shape the shoe and balance the foot its a nightmare.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
£20 call out???? WTF! Does he expect you to take the horse to him? Does he have that facility?......he's taking the P surely? Does anyone else have a call out fee to pay?

I normally have mine shod in the week, farrier works on Saturdays & takes Sunday & Monday off. As far as I'm aware he doesn't charge extra on Saturdays.

I have two shod at a time, there's no discount, costs £60 a full set hot shod. I have 2 stud holes in each shoe @ 50p a hole therefore £64 a set at the moment.

I rarely have a problem with losing a shoe etc but when I have he normally comes out within 24 hours to rectify & doesn't charge anthing extra.....which is as it should be. :)

Last edited:

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Prices are same as my farrier, extra £5 for stud holes.
Price not affected if it one horse it more, but when he is there, he nearly always gets more work.
A horse has lost a shoe or while you are there could you just...!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
MY farrier trims are £ 20 and its £ 45 for a barefoot trimmer which is different to a farrier trim and a set is £ 65

The_snoopster

Visit site
Mine charges £65 full set and £20 for a trim or £15 for my shettie, however if I can time it where all 3 of mine get dont the same day he will knock a bit off for me.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Ask him for his bank account details and do a bank transfer, I know it is sometimes a pain for me to go with cheques, as it can take an hour out of my working time, and the banks are only open in the "middle" of the day

mytwofriends

Visit site
£75 for a full set, £25 for trimming, £20 for replacing lost shoe. I pay by bank transfer which took him a while to get used to, but I persuaded him and he loves it!