Farrier trimming frogs on shod horse?

TrasaM

Visit site
I've just started back riding a lovely IDx horse who is shod on all four feet.
I noticed when I picked her feet out this week that the farrier had trimmed the sides of the frogs so making the contact area quite small. He's cut them so that they slope inwards towards the centre. She's not got large frogs in any case but this has reduced the size substantially.
Has anyone else seen this? And what would be the reason. Same farrier does my friends BF horse and usually trims the frogs on him too. We are not talking about just the dead bits here but I've seen the bits he's cut off and it goes right into the new tissue.
No use asking for pics I'm afraid as owner is very sensitive to any comments from me and I've just been allowed back to ride this girl and I can't afford to make any comments she may interpret as negative or critical about this farrier. Been there and it backfired on me :(

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Sounds like extreme trimming to me. On bf feet the frog is usually left alone, but with a shod horse as little of the frog comes into ground contact (on a flat surface) the farrier tidys off the dead and shedding frog.

nix123

Visit site
I'm sure the farrier hasn't done a hairdresser's inch trim so to speak! There would be a reason for it. If he had taken too much off the horse would be hopping on all fours or it would have bled. So maybe try and be there next time so you can ask the farrier himself.