Farrier trimming too short.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I have a pony who is a companion field ornament. Bare foot. I have to remind farrier not to trim too short as he has crippled him before. However last trim hes took loads off and poor pony is sore. His feet look really short. He is done every 8 weeks. Anyone else have problems with farriers trimming too short!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have a pony who is a companion field ornament. Bare foot. I have to remind farrier not to trim too short as he has crippled him before. However last trim hes took loads off and poor pony is sore. His feet look really short. He is done every 8 weeks. Anyone else have problems with farriers trimming too short!

You can tell the farrier not to trim so short but I would also be suspicious of an underlying problem with the feet. I would be thinking of doing PPID and EMS tests on him.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes. My horse was barefoot behind, and the farrier flattened the sole and trimmed the wall right down to the white line. She was pretty sore. Then six weeks later, he did it again, even though my vet had stepped in and advised him not to. Due to politics, that guy was the only farrier who would come to that yard, so I ended up moving the horse.

Get a new farrier.

Sandstone1

Visit site
You can tell the farrier not to trim so short but I would also be suspicious of an underlying problem with the feet. I would be thinking of doing PPID and EMS tests on him.
He has had those tests and been negative. He is the slimmest hes ever been this year and I have seen lami before and pretty sure its not that. Its straight after a trim. Will be getting vet tomorrow if he does not improve.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Yes. My horse was barefoot behind, and the farrier flattened the sole and trimmed the wall right down to the white line. She was pretty sore. Then he did it again, even though my vet had stepped in and advised him not to. Due to politics, that guy was the only farrier who would come to that yard, so I ended up moving the horse.

Get a new farrier.
I think thats the answer to be truthful.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think thats the answer to be truthful.

Yeah. When I spoke to the farrier in question, he said that hock arthritis was making her sore because she was barefoot, and she should therefore be shod behind. Uh, no. That was certainly not my vet's view, but this chap wasn't going to change, or follow the vet's advice. Best thing was to get out of dodge.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Some farriers know as much about barefoot trimming as I do about brain surgery. I don't believe it's a requirement of their training, but they can educate themselves if they want. My current farrier does. My ex-farrier was actively against barefoot -- he chose to not know -- and if you asked him about it, he would tell you that it's a terrible idea for a ridden horse because it will "wear its feet down" on the roads.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just ask my farrier to leave the sole and frog on my barefoot horse and his then fine when we ride on the stony track.

I do remind him just before he does it as I appreciate he doesn't remember everything all his clients like.

But bearing in mind yours has done it a few times I would be trying someone else, just remind them what you want each time.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
He has had those tests and been negative. He is the slimmest hes ever been this year and I have seen lami before and pretty sure its not that. Its straight after a trim. Will be getting vet tomorrow if he does not improve.

Pad his feet with some nappies and tape for now and see how he is tomorrow.

Or hoof boots if you have any will help as well.

Regandal

Visit site
I’d sack him and get a decent farrier/trimmer to come and teach you how to trim him yourself in between visits. Hope he’s more comfortable with the nappies on.

planete

Visit site
You could shorten the trim cycle to 6 weeks. That way he won't need to take so much off each time. Feet are growing like mad St the moment!

This. It is the shock of the foot being long which means the pony's weight is mostly supported by the wall then, in the space of ten minutes, being made so short that the recently under stimulated parts of the hoof are now weight bearing again. That was enough to cripple Woody for a week when it happened. Three weeks later he is rock crunching again. I am not going to let his feet grow that long again and I am switching to a trimmer as I could not get the barefoot friendly farrier to put me on his books.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I’d sack him and get a decent farrier/trimmer to come and teach you how to trim him yourself in between visits. Hope he’s more comfortable with the nappies on.
He does seem better. Hopefully he will be better by tomorrow. He has just galloped round the field so thats a good sign.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mad isn't what a few disposable nappies and duct tape can do ?

Hope his better tomorrow I mentioned on another thread here I always remind my farrier to leave the frog and sole just before he does mine, not that his ever cut so much off to make him sore so might be worth trying someone else.

AandK

Visit site
If it's not the first time it has happened, then I would find a new farrier/trimmer. I would also shorten the trimming cycle to min 6 weeks, possibly shorter this time of year.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think 8 weeks is a long time my barefoot horse goes 5 weeks in summer 6 in winter.

I would imagine the foot is quite long so his cutting it right back to compensate, and it's too much so the horse is feeling it afterwards.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Ours go 3-4 weeks in the summer, ideally. I had our trimmer do them the week before I went on holiday because I was busy and when I got back (a 3-week interval) I did the oldie immediately because he really needed it and regret leaving my boy till this week (4-5 weeks) as I now have a job on my hands.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It really pays off to learn to trim them yourself in between professional trims, then the feet never get too long. It's not difficult - as in even I can do it :D.

You need a decent rasp plus ideally some sort of hoof stand.

I ended up trimming all mine myself after my farrier went awol. He's back now, but I have him out every 12 weeks and I keep on top of the feet in between times. They need a light run round with the rasp every 7- 10 days or so at this time of year.

My farrier has been very helpful in showing me what to do, and what to look out for.

Visit site
OP, I have 4 and all are different in terms of needing trimming, I have one who easily goes 12 weeks, as his feet just grow so slowly, the others range from 3 weeks to around 6 weeks in summer.

Ive had a farrier twice trim two of mine too short, after the second time I changed farrier. After I moved area, I went onto a barefoot trimmer who trimmed them great a few times but then was in a hurry one visit, I explained they’d been in very wet conditions, so their feet would likely be softer and he crippled two of them (different ones to the ones the farrier had previously made sore).

I gave up after that and I trim them myself now, I had learnt over the years but with four, it was easier to pay someone. I must admit, Im able to take real time over their feet and am obsessive about angles and mustang rolls ?.

it is worth knowing how to do a maintenance trim yourself at the least, Pete Ramey has Lots of info.