Farrier woes. WWYD?

Lintel

Visit site
Short version.
I have had my farrier for nearly 10 years, used to be super reliable and he still is with his timings/dates. His pricing is good, he is superb at his job and the boys like him.

Over the past year or so he has been "dodgy" with dates, not putting them in the diary for next time- various excuses.. forgot diary etc etc. I then have to hound him by text after text after text to get a date in for the boys. He very rarely replies but eventually does and the boys get done fine and on time.

I know he has been doing bigger yards and probably feels it's not worth his while coming out for fronts and a trim to me. It has crossed my mind that he is deliberately ignoring me and eventually I will give up and move on? Am I being over sensitive here, should I start looking for a new farrier or keep trying to get a hold of him?

All farriers have their flaws but this is beginning to get really annoying😖

WWYD?

meleeka

Visit site
I’d ask him when he next comes. Say say what you’ve said here that you understand it may not be worth his while to come to yours but you’d rather he say and recommend somebody else. At the very least you’ve given him a get out or an opportunity to improve and If the carries on the same as before you have your answer.

spacefaer

Visit site
I am currently suffering from the same farrier disease of appalling communication. It drives me insane, particularly when it's the horses' welfare rather than mine.

I am enduring it as he is the best farrier in the area, and I don't want to put him on the spot, in case he suggests I get a different one. There are plenty of farriers in the area, but few of them are any good.
I've got plenty of work for him, so he can't say it's not worth his while coming out!

Lintel

Visit site
Would love nothing Marigold but we tried but sadly failed as I have the most ridiculous woose of a Highland when it comes to stones of any sort 👎 Hence the compromise of fronts only.

Marigold4

Visit site
How about using hoof boots? I had Cavallo Simples for the field for the first couple of weeks, but not needed for very long as the ground is now softer. I ride in Equine Fusion All Terrains. These have excellent thick soles for protection against stones. I live in a very flinty area and even if I could find a reliable farrier, I would still use them now as they protect soles and frogs in a way that shoes never could. They are really easy to put on. You can just bung them in the washing machine to wash them. Obviously you need a properly qualified trimmer who returns phone calls though! I've only had the one trimmer but he is efficient and does an excellent job. Books appointments 3 weeks in advance and sticks to them!