Farrier woes..wwyd?

Lintel

Visit site
I have had my current farrier for yearssssss.

He does my horses feet well, is patient and I'm happy with the work he does. Normally fairly on time and if he gives you at date at the last shoeing he sticks to it.

However...
The last twice I've been unable to be there myself so haven't got a date. A few times this has happened through the year, I haven't been able to get a date.

To get a date or a time is a NIGHTMARE, poor communication doesn't even cut it... weeks of communication including numerous texts and nothing. Then eventually I get a date.
But it then becomes a struggle for me to arrange to be there for shoeing etc because I don't have a date. I like to be organized, it's in my nature and it's stressing me out not having dates and times.

Am I expecting to much and should I suck it up and be happy that I have happy horses and happy feet ..
Or do I look for someone else?

I'd be gutted to not use him anymore but it's driving me MAD.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I feel your pain.

After yet another no show from my farrier, and no reply to my subsequent calls asking if he was coming, I am now trimming my own horses’ feet.

It costs a bit to get set up with good kit, but seeing as I was paying £75 for 3 trims every 4 to 6 weeks, I will have paid for it all well inside of 12 months.

All three have now had their first trim done by me, and fingers crossed they are comfortable and it’s going well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Understandably problematic to organise to be there if you don't get any notice though.

Is there a reason that you can't ask him to automatically book in 6 weeks time, as presumably that is what he would do if you were there.
It would drive me a bit mad too but it's tricky when they are doing everything else right.

Lintel

Visit site
Understandably problematic to organise to be there if you don't get any notice though.

Is there a reason that you can't ask him to automatically book in 6 weeks time, as presumably that is what he would do if you were there.
It would drive me a bit mad too but it's tricky when they are doing everything else right.

Tried and failed this technique sadly ?
The automatic book in for 6 weeks would be lovely.. in fact heavenly ?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I have a farriers appointment for the first thing every Friday every six weeks and always have two appointments booked in advance. It works like a dream and this has been going on for at least 10 years now!

Previous farrier in London proved unreliable (and his shoes fell off) so I sacked him and for years afterwards he told everyone that I was the only client that had ever sacked him!

I need reliability and can not cope with people not turning up - my time is far too valuable.

Carrottom

Visit site
If you don't see him could you leave him a note with a pen attached and ask him to write a date for your next appointment. It would be a shame to change if he is doing a good job for your horse's feet. Presumably there is no reason that you have to be present.

meleeka

Visit site
Have you phoned him? Some people are more likely to answer a call than a text. I had a farrier like this for years. It was always best to phone him at around 5.30pm and leave a message and each day until he replied.

AUB

Visit site
I couldn’t be bothered with that!

My farrier texts me on sunday evening every 6 weeks to tell me which day and time he’ll be there. If my horse loses a shoe, I’ll text him and ask him to fit me in, and within a day or so he’ll send me a date and time.

EventingMum

Visit site
Just trying to think of a way round this if you like him as a farrier as obviously, his poor communication is a major problem If you left a notepad/whiteboard and pen when you can't be there could he jot down the next appointment for you? Would that give you sufficient time to arrange being there?

HashRouge

Visit site
My farrier is like this and it is a blooming nightmare if I don't get booked in again when I have an appointment. Last time he was up he said "do you want to text me to sort another appointment?" and I had to stop myself saying "God no, I'm not a lunatic!". Essentially, whether you text him or ring and leave a voicemail (he won't pick up) you are unlikely to hear back for around 2 weeks. He does always get back to you in the end, but it is very stressful and I always worry I won't get a time I can do (he doesn't work weekends and I'm a teacher so can't book time off in the week, so always get my appointments in the holidays). Luckily it's been about 18 months since I last had to make an appointment via phone, I dread ever having to do it again!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
That is tricky. Is someone else there when you can’t make it? If so, could they book for you. Otherwise when you see him can you book two ahead each time, then you’ll still be ok if you miss one.

sport horse

Visit site
I would text him a copy of your original post plus the fact that you are a nurse and cannot easily swap shifts. Say you do not want to change farriers but is there any way of sorting out the appointments so that it works for both of you?

Lintel

Visit site
My farrier is like this and it is a blooming nightmare if I don't get booked in again when I have an appointment. Last time he was up he said "do you want to text me to sort another appointment?" and I had to stop myself saying "God no, I'm not a lunatic!". Essentially, whether you text him or ring and leave a voicemail (he won't pick up) you are unlikely to hear back for around 2 weeks. He does always get back to you in the end, but it is very stressful and I always worry I won't get a time I can do (he doesn't work weekends and I'm a teacher so can't book time off in the week, so always get my appointments in the holidays). Luckily it's been about 18 months since I last had to make an appointment via phone, I dread ever having to do it again!

We must have the same guy.... ? This sounds like my life at the minute.

Thank you all the whiteboard/note idea sounds great for when I'm not there...
Now to try and get the next appointment ?
I text him when he was outside the other day to say can you text me a date for next time. Nothing, a reminder was sent that evening..
The weekly voicemails/texts shall begin as of next week? sooooooo frustrating.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Unfortunately this is a problem that happens a lot with farriers. If you continually have issues then vote with your feet & find another, there are plenty around. I have used the same farrier for about 20 years. He comes, fits the shoes & before driving away he books the next date and time. Sometimes he's a little late but he always sends a text when he's on his way and where he's coming from. He does a great job & if a horse throws a shoe he's normally out to put shoe back on within 24 hours & doesn't charge us as long as we can find the shoe. He's been a farrier for over 30 years now & he's not a quick as he used to be but he always does a good job so we'll stick with him. He's really organised, most farriers don't seem to be.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The weekly voicemails/texts shall begin as of next week? sooooooo frustrating.

Weekly? I would do daily at least, and only text after a phone call has gone unanswered.

TBH, I can't see why the person attending to your horse for the farrier can't make the appointment? Presumably if you trust them with your horse, they are reliable. A whiteboard would be another good idea, but I would prefer paper and pencil as a white board is too easily rubbed off.

If he does the feet OK, I would stick with him. Good farriers are hard to find.

With mine, his diary is in the van and I physically go fetch it while he is there under the horse. Obviously, I ask if I should, but he says yes, and then I write it in myself, with consultation. That way, I know it is in!

That said, we are now barefoot and I am relieved of that fuss.

Fjord

Visit site
Reading about farrier woes makes me so grateful for mine! He books me in every six weeks, before he leaves for his next appointment.
Could you leave a calendar up at the yard with times you are likely to be available, and ask him to book you a suitable date when he is there shoeing your horse?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Weekly? I would do daily at least, and only text after a phone call has gone unanswered.

TBH, I can't see why the person attending to your horse for the farrier can't make the appointment? Presumably if you trust them with your horse, they are reliable. A whiteboard would be another good idea, but I would prefer paper and pencil as a white board is too easily rubbed off.

I presumed the farrier was doing them on his own, ours does sometimes.

Asha

Visit site
i really cant be doing with people who run their business like that. The problem with farriers is.. we see and hear about the dodgy ones, who lame horses / trim badly etc etc, so become scared to try someone else and end up putting up with shoddy service. I would ask around locally to find out who is the best alternative.

Annagain

Visit site
Can you just ask for a regular booking every six weeks at, say, 2pm on a Friday (or whenever?) My farrier automatically books us in every 6 weeks at 8am on a Thursday so we all know where we stand.

ETA - just see you're a nurse so that probably won't work unless he's happy to do the horse without you being there or someone can fill in when you can't be there.

Last edited:

sjdress

Visit site
I recently changed farriers for this very reason. Ive had my old farrier for years and years... does a good job, no complaints but impossible to book in the next apt. It then gets to the point where i contact him and wait ages and ages to get a date. My horse is tricky to shoe and I work full time for the NHS so I can’t drop everything last minute to be there. Therefore i plucked up the courage to change farrier. New one will send me a new apt before he leaves giving me plenty of time to book the time off work and arrange plans around it. I felt terrible for changing but it has made my life a whole lot easier. I explained this to my old farrier and he was very understanding.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I must be super lucky - I message my farrier on Whatsapp and always receive a reply within a couple of hours. I just ask can you do him some point next week and he fits him in wherever, it helps that I am stabled 2 mins away from his house, but it's brilliant! And he has been commended by all vets that have seen Jacobs feet.

I will keep hold of this farrier with my dear life! :D

pansymouse

Visit site
My old farrier used Equitotal which not only managed his diary it also alerts you you have an appointment the day before it happens. When he moved out of the area I tried another farrier who didn't use an advanced booking system let alone an electronic one. After two rounds of faff trying to arrange appointments I changed another farrier who is both very good and uses Equitotal - no stress farrier equilibrium restored.

Lamehorses

Visit site
My previous farrier was super organised, sent a text if he was more than 15 mins late, there within a day or so if you lost a shoe etc
Unfortunately he lamed 2 horses. One ended up with badly underrun heels / long toes, easily sorted with a barefoot rehab.
The other I didn't realise was lame, but must have had low grade foot pain. He'd always been sluggish, struggled to get through a prelim dressage test & thought that it was just him. New farrier & within 12 months he's looking fab at novice &is a fun forward ride.
New farrier is fab, but disorganised. I'm keeping disorganised ?