Farriers in Kent/SE London - How much do you all pay? Rip off?

jennystreek

Visit site
I've noticed recently that my shoeing bill is become more and more expensive, so wanted to know what everyone else pays just in case i can get it done cheaper!! Here's the cost:

Basic Shoes = £58
extra for natural balance = £5
Road nails = £4
Call out = £10 (although shared between 2)
Studs (£1.50 each) = £12

Total = £89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

I have just bought another horse and really cant afford these costs....please can anyone let me know if they can get it done cheaper??
My farrier reckons he is expensive because he is one of the only ones in the area who does natural balance
confused.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Sorry should said i payed £30 for a trim with my last pony !!!
shocked.gif
I think he charged £50 for two shows and like £80 for four!
mad.gif

My lovely new farrier
grin.gif
charged £15 for trim and £15 per shoe/foot so £30 for two £60 for four!
smile.gif

sevenoceans

Visit site
60 quid and normal sets (west sussex)..so i reckon it's pretty good for natrual shoes... also my old horse had egg bar shoes and that set me back to 70 quid for a pair plus £25 normal shoes for back legs (surrey)

Ferdinase514

Visit site
That extortion! Do you have Clive M-R? he's the natural balance guy from Edenbridge...pricey but good.

Whereabouts are you? I had a good farrier who did natural balance when I was in Kent, cost about £56, I can PM you his details.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
£70 for mine, normal shoes, with 2 x road nails a shoe and/or stud holes.

£20 a trim

Thats in Berkshire so yes sounds a little pricey and why a call out? we dont pay for that!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
You all pay so much!

I'm in Essex now and pay £56 for full set, with road nails and stud holes behind. Farrier does a really good job as well, as Finni did not have the best feet, but are looking much better.

jennystreek

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
£70 for mine, normal shoes, with 2 x road nails a shoe and/or stud holes.

£20 a trim

Thats in Berkshire so yes sounds a little pricey and why a call out? we dont pay for that!

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea why he charges call out - he only lives 10 miles away, and always is in my area as his daughter has a horse literally walking distance from our yard
mad.gif

mpicton

Visit site
£55 for a full set, no studs etc.

Bloody good farrier as well but sadly just retired. Got a discount because my YO/friend as been with him forever.

Off to find another farrier...guessing will be much pricier!

mrsbloggett

Visit site
My pony as just moved over to NB shoes (fronts only - recovering from lami) I have just paid £55 for remedial trim & 2 x fronts, including visit fee in suffolk.

Scarlett

Visit site
i'm just outside Guildford, full set is £55 (Natural Balance costs the same) £25 for fronts only and a tenner for a trim for my shoeless boy - fantasticaly fabulously brilliant farrier, have never seen my boys feet in such great condition - would be gutted if i ever had to change from him....

Kelly1982

Visit site
I pay £54 for a full set, never had road nails or studs so cant say about that but i think studs holes are about £2 each.

Natural balanced shoes are also £54 for a full set.

NuttymareII

Visit site
I am in Kent and I pay £60 a set.

One has, road nails and stud holes and the other has natural balance and road nails.

The majority of farriers in my area do natural balance.

GinaGem

Visit site
My farrier charges:

£63 - full set of new shoes (cold shod) with 8 road nails
£40.50 - new shoes on front with 4 road nails, trim on back
£18 - full trim (although this is sometimes reduced to £10 or is free is not a lot of trimming is needed).

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
89 doesn't sound that extortionate to me.
I do a 100 mile round trip to get Benj shod. I pay 73 for a full set of NB with 8 road nails and I do not begrudge a single penny of it. Add 20 for diesel and I am still happy to pay for that.
Unfortunately, there are no farriers in my area that I would be happy to shoe my horse.
Can I ask why you chose to have your horse shod NB?

Steph_Randles

New User
Visit site
My dad and brother are both farrier's and knowing there job inside out i think most of these prices on here seem quite reasonable, for the job done!
People fail to realise the following..... there is 4 an a half years worth of training thats has had to be done to begin with, and also the cost of the farrier's materials are rising at the same time!

xx

sally2008

Visit site
Don't forget that you are paying for skills and experience rather than just raw materials. I don't think £89 is extorionate either. I would far rather pay this kind of price to a conscientious and well trained farrier than opt for a cheaper "tyre-changer" who wants to do 20 sets a day to make maximum profit. Who do you think is getting better value for money?

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
The way I look at it is, my old farrier charged me 55 for a full set of shoes, he took on average 20 mins from start to finish. So that equates to 165 per hour.
My new farrier (apart from saving me money spent with the vets) charges me 73 a set and take at least one hour. And no apprentices either!!!!!! So, all in all I think I am getting a bargain, not to mention a sound horse!
P x

Capriole

Visit site
wow, im glad im up north now, my farrier just upped his charges to £30 for a set of shoes! why does everything cost so much down south!?

jennystreek

Visit site
This post has been really interesting to find out all the different prices - I guess at the end of the day, i'm buying a product/service and just want to make sure i'm getting good value as its not something you can easily compare prices with!!! Having said that, its not a straight forward product, and yes experience, soundness of horse after being shod etc is really more important than money - but wouldnt it be great to have both
smile.gif