Farriers just been....

piaffe

Visit site
Firstly, was not happy as he was very early. he was due at 4 and i turned up at 3-45 to find him finished and chatting.
mad.gif
So i explained the lameness etc

V was very long in the toe and they addressed that and suggested he have shoes on (but wouldnt do it then and now have to wait until the 9th)
mad.gif

Took him out in the school after and hes still lame so chucked him out in the field. They seem hopeful that its down to the fact he was too long, that and a combination of the weather here, him adjusting. He thinks, put some shoes on, give him a couple of weeks and he will come right again. But im really not so sure.
frown.gif

I nearly cried in front of him (
blush.gif
) and feel so low about the whole thing.

I could do with lots of hugs.
frown.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Big Happy Horse hugs to you. Reading your post as an outsider what your farrier is saying does sound like it makes sense. My boy without shoes on would be lame all the time (I tried it when I retired him!) with shoes on he was as right as rain. Wet muddy ground and no shoes is not what he would have been used to I am guesing?

MillionDollar

Visit site
Awww im sorry....big hug!

And if it makes you feel any better i had the same thing with my mare! She went lame and couldn't understand it- thought it was a leg problem so i had the vet out who immediately said her feet were too long (she'd only had them done for 2 weeks
mad.gif
) so had them sorted out with long and wide shoes and she was immediately sound! It was amazing.

So look on the bright side in a few weeks he should be sorted!
smile.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
Awwww, bless yas. I can share your pain, my horse has had funny feet probs all summer, but once he was shod properly he gradually got sounder, and now 6 weeks down the line he's spot on, definitly don't worry if he's not right in 2, give it time and he'll be fine! I was also able to keep in him light work in those weeks, because he had been crippled for 12 weeks prior, so we had some serious fitness work to be done!!!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, but i have had him since june and has been fine so, to me it doesnt make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does, it's been fairly dry since June, it's damp and rain that softens soles. My farrier always says barefeet are fine in the summer but most horses can' t cope in the damp and wet of the UK and he is spot on.

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, but i have had him since june and has been fine so, to me it doesnt make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does, it's been fairly dru since June, it's damp and rain that softens soles. My farrier always says barefeet are fine in the summer but most horses can' t cope in the damp and wet of the UK and he is spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? you have put a smile on my face for the first time this evening.
smile.gif
I hope he's right.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I agree with Burtie. We have had a long hot summer, the ground has been hard and dry and for the last month we have had pretty persistent wet weather. His feet will have been softening gradually and it may have just reached the point where they have become sore. Hopefully with some shoes on although he may be a bit sore to begin he will soon get used to them and be a happy boy again.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I hope all goes well with the lameness and your horse is sound soon, the thing I find most amazing is the below quote:

[ QUOTE ]
he was very early. he was due at 4 and i turned up at 3-45 to find him finished and chatting.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Farrier early? You should contact the Guiness Book of Records and have this published....but would anyone believe it?
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Hopefully your farrier knows what he is talking about and what he is doing. LOL!! I thought I did when Sureshot went ever so slightly lame - I asked to have shoes put on him, farrier agreed that it would be a good idea to try them out - horse became significantly more lame with the shoes.....am seriously hoping that it is just this tiny splint......otherwise we will be in the same boat as you. I'm not greatly worried as I can give him as much time off as required......sometimes the beauty of having more than one.

Good luck and I hope you do find out what is wrong soon.