Fascinating film from 1902

southerncomfort

Visit site
Enhanced film from Halifax in 1902. Fascinating film. Really interesting seeing horse drawn carriages and trams on the same streets. I suppose the age of horse drawn transport was coming to an end.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Enhanced film from Halifax in 1902. Fascinating film. Really interesting seeing horse drawn carriages and trams on the same streets. I suppose the age of horse drawn transport was coming to an end.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't see the embedded media, neither on phone nor computer. I searched using "Enhanced film from Halifax in 1902" and found three films; would this screenshot be from the one you saw?
1631596704393.png

Regandal

Visit site
Fabulous. I’ve just turned 60, as a child our coal was delivered by horse and cart. The same man had berry fields and the horse was used to plough in between the drills. Lovely big dapple grey horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Wow, how interesting is that?! No colour in the clothes, and all so formal, even people who were obviously poor. Everyone with hats. Almost 100% white. Very surprising to see a palomino? horse. Not surprising to see some terrible feet, but by no means all of them.

Thank you for posting that SC.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Keith - I don't know if this will help you but I recently stumbled across a way that makes FB links work for me... mostly.

Usually when I click on a FB link it takes me straight to a login page. However if I check that my browser isn't blocking the link, click on the forum 'Reply' button and then click the 'Preview' button (plus cross my fingers and hope that the wind is blowing in the correct direction) I can then see what has been linked. So I was able to watch the video from 1902 in the forum preview box. :)

Pippity

Visit site
Wow, how interesting is that?! No colour in the clothes, and all so formal, even people who were obviously poor. Everyone with hats. Almost 100% white. Very surprising to see a palomino? horse. Not surprising to see some terrible feet, but by no means all of them.

Thank you for posting that SC.

It's been colourised later, so most of the colours are guess-work. Outer layers were usually dark, because the streets were full of soot and smoke and animal crap, but fashionable dresses underneath would have been slightly more restrained than the garish Victorian stuff but still fairly colourful and with patterns that we'd side-eye as a bit over the top.

That said, I think I'd quite like a saddlecloth in this blue pattern!

72e071bd2ad42008b14d05234fb489ff.jpg

scruffyponies

Visit site
Interesting seeing driven livestock calmly moving through the traffic. One loose cow causes chaos now. Also, the extent to which the driven horses are conditioned to such busy conditions. I guess 'well-driven' meant a bit more than it does now. What this film doesn't show is the noise - all of those vehicles would have iron shod wheels, and the roads are cobbled!

To comments about rag and bone men in the '70s - we had one come around our village with his pony and cart occasionally in the '80s (just outside Barnsley). Some travellers still collect scrap in the traditional way in northern towns to this day. If you buy a pony from them, you get one who'll work all day and stand quiet without someone at his head whilst two strong lads load up clanking metal on the cart behind him, (being experienced enough to be glad of the rest).

Birker2020

Visit site
Two things strike me watching that film, which was very interesting by the way.

How well all the horses looked in terms of their weight with none being overweight like they are nowadays (not enough food to go around as it was) and like YCMB pointed out no black faces in the crowds, whereas now its 13% which can only be a good thing.