Fat all over? Unusual fat distribution *with pics*

Chex

Visit site
I couldn't decide where this should go, so I decided it should go here
tongue.gif

Anyway, just a little wondering about fat distribution and general fattiness. Now I know Chex is overweight
smirk.gif
but I don't think he's tooo huge (feel free to correct me!!!). But would you say his fat looks in proportion? i.e. does his large crest look out of place (indicating some other problems)? Please bare in mind he's 25 and has only been in light work or off work for the last almost year
frown.gif

Some photo's from today:
DSCF2259.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

DSCF2256.jpg

I think he looks slim from the front, its not like he's got a massive belly
confused.gif

DSCF2260.jpg

DSCF2262.jpg

He has fatty(?) lumps by his tail (on the left). Also where his gutter should be its like its filled in with fat - visible here:
DSCF2263.jpg

They appear every summer, and fades throughout winter.
Closer up pictures from last lear:
2006_0713horses0004.jpg

2006_0713horses0003.jpg

I know this is long and confusing, but what I'm wondering if this is unusual fat distributiom, maybe due to Cushings or EMS?
confused.gif
He has fat pads (in his gutter etc), but I don't think he's that obese that he should have big fatty lumps
confused.gif
. Or just tell me to shut up and that my horse is fat so deal with it
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Any ideas/comment welcome, I can take it
tongue.gif
grin.gif

hadleigh

Visit site
I know just how he feels. It looks like my cellulite problem!!! Sorry not helpful I know! It may have something to do with his age. He doesn't look too bad to me but if you are concerned maybe ring your vet and ask his opinion.

clipclop

Visit site
My friends old horse developed strange fat lumps.

I would assume it is a little bit like old dogs getting fat lumps? (Don't hold me to that as I am purely guessing).

I suppose cellulite gets to a lot of us in the end
tongue.gif

OK, I will be serious now.

Yes he is fat. You know that. He could do with losing a bit as his bum does look like it is verging on "Apple bum". His crest is very cresty.

Ideally it would be good to get weight off of him as the more weight he carries the more weight his aging body has got to deal with. Of course you want to keep enough on him to enable him to cruise through winter.

How are you keeping him at the moment? As in, is there anything else you feel you could do just to get a little bit more off of him?
smile.gif

(I think I should move in with Chex when you do cut him back as I have all the same problems as him. LOL)!!
grin.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Yes, yes, the more I look at his pics the more I think I must be the same breed as Chex.
smile.gif

I don't have a huge belly but I do have a huge butt
grin.gif

Sorry, stupid post *Hangs head in embarrassment and shuffles out of post with a quick hand raise to say bye*

Chex

Visit site
Lol, it is very much like cellulite
grin.gif
. I've had the vet up to see it twice, but he doesn't know what it is
confused.gif
so I guess it is just fat. He's on starvation just now, put still at the eating the grass down stage (and all this rain isn't helping
mad.gif
). He does need to lose a lot of weight, and he WILL, even if it kills me lol. I just worry his crest is so large, and these lumpy bits aren't normal
confused.gif
frown.gif

clipclop

Visit site
I know what you mean re keeping a starvation paddock sparse!

I have my boy in a starvation paddock as he is a porker. After that rain and then the sunshine at the weekend I swear I could see the blooming grass grow. So I put the other two in there over night to take it right back down again.

I felt sorry for him this morning though and as he is looking a lot slimmer,,,,I have let him out with the others for a few hours. I must go and push him back through in a minute.
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
How strange
confused.gif

If it wasn't for his lumpy neck and botty, I don't think he does look fat at all. He's certainly nothing like some of the horses pictures we've seen lately.

His neck does look awfully strange doesn't it? Not just cresty, but puffy/lumpy in places.

I still think he looks great for his age though.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Luckly I don't get cellutie...But old trick is grapefruit jucie... feels like its burning away...(not first hand experience mind) Might be worth a try...Oh or theres great products in the shops theses days!
wink.gif

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How strange
confused.gif

If it wasn't for his lumpy neck and botty, I don't think he does look fat at all. He's certainly nothing like some of the horses pictures we've seen lately.

His neck does look awfully strange doesn't it? Not just cresty, but puffy/lumpy in places.

I still think he looks great for his age though.

[/ QUOTE ]

See thats what I'm thinking
frown.gif
. I suspect some of the crest lumpiness might be thickened skin due to his sweetitch? But most of it does feed like fat. I have been reading how crestiness can be worse due to cushings, and given his age it wouldn't be unusual for him to have it
frown.gif
, or EMS. I going to put him on magnesium and see if that helps.

Thanks, I think he's looking good, but it sometimes feels like he's falling apart infront of me
frown.gif

Chex

Visit site
I know, I've borrowed 2 other horses to graze the field too, but despite their constant eating the grass doesn't seem to be going down
mad.gif
. There's even some sheep too, but they just seem to come in, do the toilet, and go away again
smirk.gif

Patches

Visit site
Was wondering about magnesium/calcium.

When we had Tweenie she was grossly overweight. We could not get her to shift the weight.

One day we had a Rockies rep out for mineral licks for the cows. He noticed the horses and explained all about their licks, including the laminshield ones. Gave me two to use on Tweenie and I was stunned to see her start losing weight.

Don't ask me how....but I assume she had an imbalance of magnesium/calcium. Once the weight was lost, she's managed to keep it down with the use of grazing muzzles from end of March to the beginning November

Patches

Visit site
You'd do wise to wait till you're in your thirties, have had four children, before bragging that you don't get cellulite!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

tinker512

Visit site
Does he also have like pads of fat on his shoulder?Ya see my old cob was severly overweight, just ask any of the oldies on here!!But try as I might, the weight would not shift, but she did always have more prominant shoulder fat pads (knee rolls when bareback!!)

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Arh but patches I won't put weight on my legs or bum I barely have any...
mad.gif
However my belly could be another thing... Its plenty fat enough now...puts down chocolate bar...
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Chex

Visit site
Thats really interesting about Tweenie, I think it may well be an imbalance. He does get a vit/min supplement, but I think thats maybe not enough. Which lick was it you got? The Lamishield one?

Chex

Visit site
Eeeeek... the dreaded grazing muzzle
crazy.gif
. That would be my last option (but it is an option), I'm hoping he'll slim down through exercise. The problem is if its some sort of imbalance or cushings, I don't think he'll lose the crest and lumps, even if he's a rake
confused.gif

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does he also have like pads of fat on his shoulder?Ya see my old cob was severly overweight, just ask any of the oldies on here!!But try as I might, the weight would not shift, but she did always have more prominant shoulder fat pads (knee rolls when bareback!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't *think* he does, its hard to notice things though when you seem then everyday! He might have small pads, certainly not prominant ones
blush.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
They are worse than Chex's! They never go down even when she is slim! Vet isn't worried but can't suggest how to help remove them.

bum.jpg

Shame her tail was swishing but you get the general idea

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
25!!!!! I think he looks absolutely great! Isn't that about 80 in human years? Doesn't look overly fat to me though he is a bit cresty but that could be simply how he's made or late gelding. I'd be careful with a grazing muzzle as I read that (a) clever horses can get them off in 5 minutes and (b) if they DO stay on they can cause nasty sores on the underside of the horse's muzzle. Have you weigh taped him Pooh Bah? PS - try telling everyone it's solid muscle! Hope you and Chex have another 25 years together xxx

Chex

Visit site
Wow, that is so the same thing!! The vet said he could do a biopsy to see what they were, but as they don't bother him I haven't bothered. He seemed to think it might be some sort of allergic reaction, but I'm a bit sceptical as its lasts for half the year! Thanks for posting, its good to know he's not alone
laugh.gif
. Although I had hoped they would vanish if he lost the weight - ah well, along with his bald neck he's not going to be winning any showing classes
smirk.gif

Chex

Visit site
Thanks
grin.gif
, I reckon he must be about 75 in human years, doesn't stop him fleeing about the place though! When I bought him he wasn't cresty
blush.gif
so its just bad management and/or some other problem
crazy.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eeeeek... the dreaded grazing muzzle . That would be my last option (but it is an option), I'm hoping he'll slim down through exercise. The problem is if its some sort of imbalance or cushings, I don't think he'll lose the crest and lumps, even if he's a rake

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i think supplment is well worth a try. But what are your hang ups on grazing muzzles? Most of the horses and ponies at our yard have them, takes them about three days till they are happy in them. The new grass will be very high in protien thurs weight and lami. All these sheep and horses eating the grass down won't stop new rich grass coming up or making the grass less rich will it?

LauraBR

Visit site
The horse I posted the pic of is generally fit as she competes locally all year round. Even when she is fit she has them although she is prone to weight gain and she only goes out for the morning in the spring/summer.

If you find a reason/cure PLEASE let me know as my friend would love you forever!!!!

Chex

Visit site
Not sure what it is about grazing muzzles, I know they work, and that the horses don't mind them, but yet I can't bring myself to buy one
confused.gif
. I've read different things about the grass, and not all reports say that young growth is bad, typically I can't find one now
smirk.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
SJ i used to work for had a little horse with the same thing. He wasn't old when i knew him (like 7) but it looked exactly like cellulite on his bum
tongue.gif

Ive said it before and i'll say it again no doubt, i still think Chex looks fabulous.