Fat calves!!!!

moocow

Visit site
Anyone got any advice on where to get long boots that don't cost the earth that will accommodate my freakishly large calves
blush.gif
. I have tried the extra wide fit that you get in your average tack shop but no luck. I know the obvious option is to get made to measure but that doesn't tick the "not costing the earth" box!

Any suggestions welcome.

rema

Visit site
I have always had trouble in getting long boots to fit as i have an 18 inch calf.But i recently got some Equitector classic long boots and they fit like a glove and were not a bad price either for leather..Have a look at there site.They can do boots up to an 60 cm calf!!.I was VERY pleased with the boots.
grin.gif

http://www.equitector.com/

Louby

Visit site
I didnt think my calves were that big but I couldnt get any boots on. Just bought some Mountain Horse High Caliber in regular width which is a miracle as wide dont usually fit me and they are great as they have an elasticated panel in them.
The Petrie zip boots fit me also and come in different widths. I think TDS saddlers sell them. They arent that expensive either for a good make like Petrie.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Equitector long boots do have the option of a wider calf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Masta Lightweight Turnout Rugs and Masta Neck Covers, all new and all desparate for new homes! All clearence and all stupidly cheap! £38 per rug incl p&p, £15 per neck cover incl p&p. PM me for details, most sizes available

Parkranger

Visit site
My equitector boots are amazing - I ordered the extra wide and ended up needing just the wide ones.

They're also great for at shows when they get excited and stand on your toes - steel toes inside!

ihatework

Visit site
I have the same problem, my soultion was to buy the boots I liked and then had them widened (elastic insert at the back) by a cobbler (any decent old fashioned saddler will do this too). Cost about £50 to have done.

Claireg9

Visit site
Really you can do this?
Cuz i love Mountain horse high rider II supportive or whatever there called but there not wode enough for me!
I also have the problem of very short legs.
Might do as you suggest then.
Buy a pair take them to a cobblers and ask them if they can adjust to fit me, if all fails can always take them back i suppose!

Parkranger

Visit site
Claire remember that you can't use mountainhorse boots to compete now apparently......and if you're gonna spend that much getting themchanged, you might as well get made to measure.

Parkranger

Visit site
Believe showjumping and dressage are no no's - can't remember who mentioned it. I suppose they're not the most 'elegant' of boots - not sure if that's it.

moocow

Visit site
thanks for all your responses, going to go on the hunt for some now. I am just getting back into riding having just bought my boy a couple of weeks ago. i would love to compete him next year but can't cos I can't kind boots! How stupid is that.... I ride at the moment ina scruffy pair of half chaps but thats not going to work if I want to compete.

thanks a million for your suggestions......

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I ride at the moment ina scruffy pair of half chaps but thats not going to work if I want to compete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find half chaps that fit !? I can't find any for everyday use
shocked.gif

I have 18" calf's and I too had to buy the Equitector Classic boots in x-wide. They do the job (fortunately) but I have to use them for competing and for everyday wear...

Parkranger

Visit site
Scats do cheap suede extra wide - I'm a 17 1/2 inch calf and I can get them on....infact they're a little loose now! Suede seems to stretch more.

moocow

Visit site
Mine are shires. not the best quality but do the job nicely for just around the yard etc. You can get them online. http://www.shires-equestrian.co.uk. They are really soft. i am about an 18inch calf and they fit me fine. (the XL ones) Since they are so soft there is a fair bit of stretch in them as well if needs be but they have been fine for me.

Off now to check out boots......handy with christmas coming.....gotta add them to the list!

moocow

Visit site
Just ha d a look at the mountain horse ssize charts and they say that a size 39 (5.5) only goes up to a 41cm calf and that is not going to do it for me unfortunately,

thansk for thesuggestions though......

debbielinder

Visit site
i have sportive highrider boots mountain horse ones and used them in affiliated dressage i have a problem getting wide enough boots they are the only ones i can find that fit well unless i had a pair made to measure but cannot afford it

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I have the exact same problem... though I'm a size 10/12 dress size I have large calves and no ankles. I like to blame all the running I did for my school when I was a kid. I just wonder what happened to all the muscle?

Anyway I can never find long boots to fit but desperately needed some so I went to Derby House armed with my credit card and determined to buy whatever boot fitted regardless of cost. Cue the entire staff of Derby House trying to squeeze my fat calves into various Cavallo, Sergio Grasso etc boots. One girl held me down, whilst another pulled on the zip, whilst another tried to hold the two edges of the boots together. Other shoppers walked past wondering what sort of strange torture was being commited...

Anyway the only boots in the whole of Derby House that fitted me were the £145 Mountain Horse Sportive boots. Not as beautiful looking as the Cavallos but it was a choice of the Mountain Horse or nothing. I was just overjoyed to have them zipped round my leg that I bought them and have kept putting them on and off ever since just because I can! I might even get round to riding in them soon
smile.gif

If my legs can fit into the Sportive's then anyone's can.

Parkranger

Visit site
But the Equitator boots are wider than mountain horse, allowed to be used in all disciplines and only £20 dearer - I'd personally go for those!

Probably get some mountain horse for schooling/hacking as I don't want to keep using my 'best' boots! x

Rambo

Visit site
I don't think the MH Sportive's are banned in competition, just the High Riders
crazy.gif
And then, only definitely in BSJA classes...not sure about BD or BE.