Fat cob and skinny ISH

Sallyfinn

Visit site
My two are as the title describes. I am another having grazing issues. The ISH, as many of you know, is a stressy ulcery type that needs hay 24/7. The fat cob eats it and is already far too heavy going into summer.
What do people think about electric tape and separating them? Do they do ok without the opportunity to mutually groom and snooze?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I don't think you have much choice to be honest. Its a tricky combination to keep together for this very reason. I would be making a separate paddock within the same field for the cob to start managing his weight before the grass comes through. Can you not up his work as well to get the fat shifted?

Shay

Visit site
I have a matching pair! Our grazing is not the best quality so both are allowed day time turn out. The ISH has to come in after a few hours as he and another gelding scrap so he then gets ad lib high quality forage in his stable for the rest of the day and throughout the night. Poor cob doesn't. Neither respect electric fencing so that wouldn't have been an option for us.

Sallyfinn

Visit site
Fortunately both of mine are very good with electric fencing. Will get out tonight and section a bit off. Always tricky to share out shade and shelter and water access. Sadly I can't do much more with fat cob than I am already :(
I wonder if getting a sharer to up his work might be the answer

MrsNorris

Visit site
What about muzzling the cob when you put out hay, it will slow him down a lot and might be enough to allow them to stay together.

atropa

Visit site
I'd be very anxious about a cob being 'far too heavy' at this time of year, I'd section/strip graze for him if possible. Tricky combination to get right but I think I'd be more worried about the lami risk than mutual grooming