Fat or big boned? Guess my weight.:)

TrasaM

Visit site
After some comments regarding the weight and degree of fatness of Asbo Cob I though I'd post a photo I took today and see what weight people think he is and what he should weigh as an ideal.
I weight taped him today as well so I know what that comes up at.
He's 15h and 7 years old of unknown parentage but much loved despite this :D
So.. What weight do you think he is.
Is he overweight, underweight or just right :) enjoy.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/...2-ed44-48a9-b372-f2764d1d249a_zpsd1f9731d.jpg

Can't remember how to show photo on post so if someone wants to do that please do. Yes..Faracat explained but I forgot again.

Visit site
I think (tin hat on) he is a bit overweight particularly coming out of winter. But that's my personal opinion, please don't hit me

CobsGalore

Visit site
I think he is looking a bit too well for this time of year. Not horrendously overweight, but I would definitely be cautious going into spring.

He's lovely btw.

Does he always stand like that?

Dizzydancer

Visit site
i reckon he weigh tapes in about 545kilos. i think he is overweight personally- not massively but not ideal to be coming into spring grass.

the prob with weigh tapes tho is they don't account for build- i don't really like them for that reason.

Arizahn

Visit site
5b2607b2-ed44-48a9-b372-f2764d1d249a_zpsd1f9731d.jpg

Picture :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He looks horrendously fat, but when I looked more closely he is actually a big horse with very short legs. His neck is not cresty and he has good definition over his withers. If you imagine another 6 inches on his legs he would not look half so bad. So I think that yes, he could stand to lose a few kilos, especially coming into spring. But I think 20 - 30 kilos rather than my 100 kg I said on the other thread.

ETA: His stance is very similar to my mare who was a chronic laminitic. :(

Last edited:

touchstone

Visit site
I'd still say he was overweight too, he is also standing in the classic LGL stance of hindlegs brought under and forelegs tucked back, have a look here:- http://www.bodrwyn.org/articles/lowgradelaminitis.php

" Altered Stance

Even at stand, a horse's use of his/her feet will alter if they are inflammed. In severe laminitis, you often see a rocked back stance where the horse attempts to take as much weight as possible off the front feet and also off the toes of the hind feet. In LGL, the alterations to stance are far more subtle. Typically, the hind feet are placed slightly further forwards than normal so that the cannon bones are no longer vertical. This tends to result in uneven growth/wear on the hind feet and quite commonly the hind feet struggle to maintain adequate heel height without shoes.

I also commonly see the front feet placed further backwards than usual (i.e. the cannon bones behind the vertical). I am not entirely sure why this happens but it may be part of the process of moving weight backwards onto the hind heels.

LGL Stance

Esme demonstrating the typical LGL stance with hind feet shuffled forwards and front feet shuffled backwards.

One upshot of this stance is that the horse has to use the hind quarters musculature to achieve it (unlike a normal stance where the stay apparatus locks and the horse needs no muscle tension to keep weight balanced on the hind legs). This constant tension in the hind quarters tends to lead to muscle discomfort in the rump and lumbar spine. Stifle problems also seem to be more common in LGL cases (possibly due to uneven muscle development in the hind legs). This muscle tension may well contribute to the alterations in gait described above - especially the reluctance during canter transitions."

Last edited:

TrasaM

Visit site
Cobsgalore (( Does he always stand like that?

I've never noticed that before either so I don't know. He looks a bit down in the dumps.

So.. How many kgs is he :D

FionaM12

Visit site
He's lovely but he does look a bit overweight to me although not huge. It's not the best photo and the line of the fence behind him does him no favours.

You are incredibly brave. Threads like this have been known to go horribly wrong. ;)

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would guess around 575kg but weigh tapes are notorious for under reporting. My 15hh was 524kg on a weighbridge and he looks a lot less tubby than you lad I am afraid.

This winter has been too mild to help keep the weight off.

Goldenstar

Visit site
He's overweight to my eye .
And you will have to work hard all summer .
At seven the main part of his growth is over and they need fewer calories and the fat starts to creep on if you are not careful.
I would agree with dizzydancer about a guess the weight and about the uselessness of tapes which got one of mine wrong by over 100 kilos .
I am useless at guessing I get mine weighted at least twice a year.

TrasaM

Visit site
He looks horrendously fat, but when I looked more closely he is actually a big horse with very short legs. His neck is not cresty and he has good definition over his withers. If you imagine another 6 inches on his legs he would not look half so bad. So I think that yes, he could stand to lose a few kilos, especially coming into spring. But I think 20 - 30 kilos rather than my 100 kg I said on the other thread.

ETA: His stance is very similar to my mare who was a chronic laminitic. :(

Lol.. Under height not overweight ..sums him up

samlf

Visit site
I would say he is definitely overweight.
I don't think number of kgs is relevant really, as weight tapes are grossly inaccurate anyway, and it is clear to the eye he stands to lose a lot of weight.

Try condition scoring though, I think you'll be surprised if you do it honestly

TrasaM

Visit site
He's lovely but he does look a bit overweight to me although not huge. It's not the best photo and the line of the fence behind him does him no favours.

You are incredibly brave. Threads like this have been known to go horribly wrong. ;)

Ah, thought the fence line would help.. Oops.
He's my friend's horse but I also ride him sometimes.

Nicnac

Visit site
I think he's actually quite diddy in height terms so will go 480 kgs. Bit rounded but not too far off.

TrasaM

Visit site
Weight tape had him at 480kg. He gets weighed regularly though so he was 550kg in December and has lost weight since then. Will get his exact weight at weekend at vets. Shows how inaccurate tapes are.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
He is very similar in type to my 14.3hh cob and he weigh tapes at 610Kg so I'm going with that weight for yours! WT aren't tremendously accurate though, my lad has lost a lot of size this winter he's starting to show his age but the WT is still at 590Kg, there is only so much he can lose off his ribs!