Faulty Kent & Masters saddle? Help please

cornwallexracers

Visit site
So, I bought a K&M s series compact on the 23rd of Dec, i've ridden in it about 10 times so far and have only used the leather balm supplied with the saddle and am using Albion calfskin leathers. After the first few uses I noticed the skirt on one side was marking, this morning after riding I noticed both skirts under the leathers have marked, almost as if the 'coating' is completely rubbing off. I know that it will to some extent mark, but its worse after ten uses than my other horses saddle after ten years.

Has anyone else experienced this with k&m saddles? I think I will speak to the saddler tomorrow as I'm not desperately happy its marked so quickly, especially as the horse is going so nicely in it :-(

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
K&M are known for this - mine looks a bit of a mess where the stirrup leathers go but I've given up caring as you can't see it when you ride and I bought it second hand. I imagine it must be awful if you've bought it new though :(.

You could try messaging them on Facebook or phoning them with the number off their website. For some reason I seem to think that they had a batch of bad leather at some point but I can't find anything to back this up so must have dreamt it!

Best of luck getting it sorted.

twiggy2

Visit site
K&M are known for this - mine looks a bit of a mess where the stirrup leathers go but I've given up caring as you can't see it when you ride and I bought it second hand. I imagine it must be awful if you've bought it new though :(.

You could try messaging them on Facebook or phoning them with the number off their website. For some reason I seem to think that they had a batch of bad leather at some point but I can't find anything to back this up so must have dreamt it!

Best of luck getting it sorted.

They are not known for it, they had a batch a few years ago with poor quality leather on the flaps they replaced them at no cost to the purchaser and wereknown for being very efficient and easy to deal with.

OP I wonder if you somehow have a saddle that has not been returned from the batch I mentioned above-in your shoes I would speak directly to Kent and Masters. I deal with 3 saddlers and they all rate K and M as being really good quality for the money, my saddle is 18 months old and last year I was in that saddle for at least 18hrs per week and it has not marked anymore than any other saddle would.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Are you sure it isnt just the 'film' which covers all new saddles, which is wearing off. I would imagine when you bought the saddle that you were given a pamphlet or info leaflet explaining how to care for your saddle (possibly not though) and in that it should explain that the film will wear off and not to worry about it.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Thanks just had a look at their fb page, seems this issue has come up previously and they seem to have rectified the other instances. Will speak to the saddler I bought it from tomorrow as a first port of call, she fitted another five new k&m saddles the same day, so I may not be the only one of her clients with this problem.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
So, I bought a K&M s series compact on the 23rd of Dec, i've ridden in it about 10 times so far and have only used the leather balm supplied with the saddle and am using Albion calfskin leathers. After the first few uses I noticed the skirt on one side was marking, this morning after riding I noticed both skirts under the leathers have marked, almost as if the 'coating' is completely rubbing off. I know that it will to some extent mark, but its worse after ten uses than my other horses saddle after ten years.

Has anyone else experienced this with k&m saddles? I think I will speak to the saddler tomorrow as I'm not desperately happy its marked so quickly, especially as the horse is going so nicely in it :-(

I think you mean the flap not the skirts, the skirts go over the leathers.
Leather today often has a film sprayed on it, sometimes for colouring (cheaper way to make coloured leather rather than the old fashioned "dyed through") companies are always looking to reduce costs and may have tried some cheaper leather and the ones with the problems were the guinea pigs or it could just be a bad batch but in my experience most sprayed leathers rub off after a while. Get back to K & M and get it sorted.
It's customary to inspect any leather that comes in to the workshop to make sure it's up to your standard before you start working it, so if it was a bad batch it wasn't checked very well by k & m or the tannery who made it. I do abrasive tests on flap butt and bridle butts I am going to use, if anything is suspect it goes back to the tannery.

happyclappy

Visit site
Speak to K&M or ask your saddler too, they generally have very good Customer Service. This is not a regular problem with them, but some have done this, leather varies.

Fjord

Visit site
I was just thinking the other day how good my K&M saddle was looking! Try contacting them, they have a reputation to upkeep so will probably be happy to help.