Favourite showjumpers over the years remembered

claracanter

Visit site
Following on from the thread where someone mentioned Ryan's Son, I thought it would be nice to name some of our favourites.

My favourites were St.James and Diester( I guess that ages me)

any others?

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I suppose Milton is an obvious one. But there hasn't been anything like him since. I would struggle to name any of the modern ones I have to admit

Firewell

Visit site
Milton definitly for me. He was a big star when I was a little girl and my bedroom wall used to be plastered with pictures of him.
He was such a character and an out and out winner. Theres a video of him on you tube galloping in to the most humungous triple and he just made mince meat of it, flowed over it like water it is fab to watch!
I love how he used to do his 'hey ho silver' impression under the spotlight. He was the best and he knew it :).

little_flea

Visit site
Milton (of course), Gem Twist, Jappeloup (158cm, half trotter!!), Big Ben, Baloubet Du Rouet.

And although he is still competing, I think Ninja will always be one to remember for me (but I am Swedish)

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
I LOVE Ninja he is my dream horse :) I also loved Sandro Boy he had such great style and made it look so easy. Itot Du Chateau (sp?) what a great little horse with a huge heart another one I wouldn't mind in my stable :)

Lyssatra

Visit site
I can't remember his name but my fav showjumper growing up was a grey horse with Silver in his name ridden by a Scandinavian rider...I think!

He was a firecracker, looked like a midget of a horse yet jumped the biggest tracks and had such personality spilling out of him that he'd buck his way around corners and after fences etc - can't believe i have forgotten his name!

Halfstep

Visit site
Cruising and Trevor Coyle [Content removed]
Rochet M and Alexandra Ledermann
ledermann-rochet1_largeL.jpg

Ludgar Beerbaum and Ratina Z [Content removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

claracanter

Visit site
Malcolm Pyrah's Sea Pearl and Annette Lewis's Tutein, currently Itot du Chateau and Ninja

Yes, Annette Lewis and her unique style. Was it Tutein who launched off the top of the Hickstead Derby Bank on year?

And Lionel Dunning and Jungle Bunny( most politically incorrect name ever!!)

vam

Visit site
I grew up with Milton posters on my wall too! :D He was what showjumping was all about for me. Loved Ryan Son as my mare had a similar head and marking as well as a liking to have a buck.:)

Scarlett

Visit site
Michael Whitakers Hickstead Derby winner Mon Santa - gorgeous big bay, still want a horse that looks like him one day! :)

kerilli

Visit site
Pennwood Forge Mill with his big roman nose.
Ryan's Son with his trademark skips and bucks.
Caroline Bradley on Marius and then on the absolutely wonderful huge grey Tigre. I'll never forget her having him taken away from her and how badly he went for his new (male) rider. Broke my heart so I dread to think what it did to hers...
Milton of course, just magical. Jappeloup, tiny and super-springy. Deister was a promise of what was to come - huge, quality warmbloods.
Eddie Macken's Boomerang, amazing horse.
Gem Twist, never seen anything like him (apart from Tigre maybe?) Fabulous with Greg Best of course, but look at him here with his rookie rider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv92v6m4iOY
talk about a trier... look at him back himself off and work to clear them! I know Milton was exceptional but I think Gem Twist was even better. Wonder what his clone jumps like... ? He'd be my absolute all-time great. John Whitaker on him at the World Cup finals... wow.
Peter Charles' Corrada, similar sort of awesome scope and carefulness. Tim Stockdale's Wiston Bridget, an old-school look but an out-and-out trier.
Could go on and on...

Rambo

Visit site
Yes, Tutein went off the top of the bank. It's on YouTube somewhere.

So many 'old' favourites...

Ryan's Son .... I was at Hickstead the day he died and witnessed the fall :-(

Disney Way
Tigre
Warren Point
Milton
Jappeloup
Malesan Galoubet
Fire
Philco
Vital
Apollo
St James
Owen Gregory
Lisnamarrow

I could go on for hours lol! So many personalities back then.

More recently :n

Arko
Oki Dokey
Le Prestige St Lois (makes Ryans Son look easy lol!)
Itot du Chataeux
Big Star !

Littlelegs

Visit site
Another for Milton. Grew up with my bedroom plastered with posters, amazing talent, but also rather embarrassingly because as a young girl with a grey pony I liked his colour!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
No mention for Shutterfly?

Past horses - pretty much anything ridden by John and Michael in the late 80's early, 90's.
Jappeloup - at the World Cup final when the other's had to ride him, absolutely awesome little horse.
Dollar Girl - lovely mare
David Broome's Lannegan - remember seeing him retired out in the field at W&W, watching the goings on in the Poplar Ring, such a gentleman.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Another vote for Carrado . . . and not just b/c she is grey ;).

Also loved watching Boomerang and Stroller (gutsy little horse).

P

freisian

New User
Visit site
I admired Stroller and was convinced my pony could be just as good, sadly that was a dream. Also loved Tigre and later Boomerang and Ryans Son.