FB ad has made me really cross!

Annagain

Visit site
I quite liked the initial intention of shiteventers (I hate that title too, god I am a prude:oops:) - to laugh at mistakes and not judge others as long as no harm was done to human nor beast (well, beast) but I don't like the way 90% of posters talk about their horses. Some things are very funny and I do (did) find it less judgemental than a lot of facebook groups and that's good but sometimes someone really does need to speak up for the horse involved and I think there's a fear of being judged for being judgemental when you're only trying to be helpful if you get what I mean! I also found watching people fall off non stop was chipping away at my confidence so I left it.

J&S

Visit site
Life is much more pleasant if one does not do FB! The news on the Radio (no TV) is quite bad enough with out having to be subjected to the horrors one hears about on FB pages.

Michen

Visit site
I honestly just don't have a problem with it. I regularly call Boggle names, sometimes in a happy loving tone (usually when I am most annoyed but have to pretend I'm not), sometimes not. It has zero reprensentation as to how I feel about the horse or treat the horse.

So I don't judge anyone, if they want to use colourful language that's their perogative. There's certain words that make me wince but then so does the word "moist"!!! Equally plenty of people who don't use poor language are still blind as a bat to their horses lameness/pain issues. I doubt there is an actual correlation between horse "health" and language of owner somehow.

As for the s***eventers group, I think it should be taken with a pinch of salt. The majority of the posts on there are harmless, just like the majority on HHO are. There will always be expections in any forum/group/outlet to do with horses, I don't see that group as any different.

Leandy

Visit site
I saw the ad and thought it is was refreshingly realistic about the type she is looking for because she knows she does not have he budget for one that does what she wants and is easy and straightforward and sound. I get more annoyed with all the people wanting the perfect horse that everyone is looking for, expect to pay about 2k for it and then wonder why everything they see is "not as advertised" or is unsound our unsafe. At least she acknowledges that many horses are not perfect but that they can still lead useful lives in the right home.

Lois Lame

Visit site
100% on both those counts. Maybe I am having a sense of hunour failure, but language matters. It changes thinking and atttitudes. And offensive language used about horses beomcing normalised really bothers me.

I agree.

Actually, I even dislike the word 'tart' being used on a mare in season who is batting her eyelids at a stallion or gelding.

A stallion acting the goat because he's raring to go is never ridiculed. He's cheered on, he's elevated to a higher plain. I mean he's... this was not meant to be a joke... he's treated differently.

mini_b

Visit site
I used to really like shiteventers but they have developed a language around horses that - as MP said - grates. At first, the Patchytwat comments were largely incidental to the posts - a funny post with a 'look at my PT being totally twattish' comment. Now it seems the other way around - the langauge IS the humour - posts about calling cars 'chunts' and pics of Patchytwat written on a dressage sheet (surely fabricated?). And the self congratulatory - we're not tw*ts here, don't be a tw*t". I don't know what is is like right now though, as I unfollowed a while ago. For every affectionate insult bandied about there will be about 10 impressionable teenagers thinking it's cool to have a horse that bucks, naps etc and to call it names for doing so, not wondering why it might be happening.

Was it always like that? Maybe, but I want no part of it.

. double posted doh

mini_b

Visit site
no it wasn’t always like that and it’s right annoying now.
I abhor the use of the name “chunt” as I have a ginger and that personally upsets me. think referring to your horse as a c*nt is absolutely grim^ and shows your disdain to this animal that really, doesn’t have to do bugger all for you.

^unless you are from Aus where a good c*nt is a compliment of the highest order!

edited to add the only thing deserving of being called a c u next Tuesday is my ex. If you met him you’d all agree ?

Northern

Visit site
I can understand where you're coming from AE. The ad may seem have a light hearted connotation to it, but the language does make me cringe. I'm not sure if it's something I would take seriously enough to send the person my horses details if I were selling.

I'm glad some people have brought up the SEU page. I have only been a member for a few weeks and it seemed funny at first but it has become increasingly annoying/concerning for a number of reasons. Sure, there are some genuine mishaps which in hindsight (after horse and rider recovered fine) can be viewed in a humorous way. However the language surrounding the posts and directed towards their horses is degrading IMO. Many of these videos show rider error, unbalanced riders with sometimes distressed horses attempting things they probably shouldn't which puts themselves and their horses at risk of injury. Most of the horses are pretty good sports for putting up with that, the direct opposite of what they are being referred to.

I think I am most concerned that people are often expressing joy at having had an incident filmed so they can put it on the FB page for all to see. I can predict (thankfully probably the minority) people now taking more risks in their riding in order to have something to post to gain the likes and "adoration" on that page, which is so dangerous and not fair at all on the horses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of fun and some of the posts are genuinely amusing to watch. But as it often happens, the "fun" is being taken too far again...

Northern

Visit site
^unless you are from Aus where a good c*nt is a compliment of the highest order!

It really is!

I agree with LL, the word is still very much used and viewed in a derogatory way. However I believe TPO was in the Outback (correct me if I'm wrong!) and the language is used much more loosely in those surrounds as slang/in the trades I find (along with many other "rude" words). Doesn't mean it is used in a complimentary on the whole though here, I wouldn't tolerate being called one or using the term in everyday conversation.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I dislike the word c*nt, to me its only used as a last resort and when you really mean to be verbally abusive. Used in every day context makes me cringe! Thankfully i dont hear it very often and use it even less :)

Pippity

Visit site
I think I am most concerned that people are often expressing joy at having had an incident filmed so they can put it on the FB page for all to see. I can predict (thankfully probably the minority) people now taking more risks in their riding in order to have something to post to gain the likes and "adoration" on that page, which is so dangerous and not fair at all on the horses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of fun and some of the posts are genuinely amusing to watch. But as it often happens, the "fun" is being taken too far again...

I've definitely seen a few posts where it looks like the rider - usually a kid or young teenager - has deliberately thrown themself off their horse for the video.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I enjoyed the FB page when it first came on the scene - it was really quite funny to watch initially at some of the totally genuine 'whoops' moments that most of us have had at one time or another.

However, I do think now it is a bit jaded and overdone, and yes I suspect some of those now are possibly set up at the expense of the horse in most instances. And I was never able to chuckle at some of the really serious ones where either horse or rider were within an inch of breaking their neck, they just did not amuse me in the slightest, having lost two very good friends to similar accidents.

So the language of the page - no it doesn't bother me one jot who swears, I do myself from time to time. But that C word is just too much for me, even though I am surrounded by Irish farmers and horse dealers who often use it as an accepted part of their everyday language it will still make me inwardly cringe. However, that really does not make me think any the less of them as a person, the majority are lovely people and good neighbours and that is just how they have always used language so who am I or anyone else to sit in judgement on them or posters on FB who are happy to use it.

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
I saw the advert and don’t mind it at all- however one of my horses, people here would be horrified at me buying him and more horrified that he was being sold.
Lame on all 4 legs, couldn’t get a boot on him for the swelling he had and a vet didn’t even wait for him to leave his stable before declaring him a write off- she was so adamant she even phoned me twice that evening to tell me how pleased she was with her advice!
He was also quirky and hot as hell to ride, certainly wouldn’t be a fun ride for most people!

however I had faith in what I felt when I sat on the horse and bought him anyway- he has been the best schoolmaster money can buy, lives a much more holistic life here which suits him down to the ground and is very happy and able to jump 1.25m rounds without me having to do much riding at all.
.... and I paid £2000 for him and hope to have many, many more years with him.

I’ll be looking for a 3rd horse in a few months and my criteria will be very similar to the Facebook ad... I don’t have a big budget at all but I have faith in my ability to feel when trying a horse and faith that the way I keep them does seem to suit an awful lot of horses that have soundness issues elsewhere.

Visit site
Your making me feel slightly bad that I called the foal Dum Dum ... but he was a dummy foal so it kind of suits!

I left the seu page as most of it isnt funny. It is either made up or cringey not funny.

I also got into a bit of an argument with a member of their show page. She had entered a pic and I questioned if it was actually her horse or if she had stollen the pics from other people again. She has used pics of me on her fb trying to pass them off as herself, she has used pics of friends of mine too. She is obsessed with racing, she applied for a job at the yard a few years ago and instantly put her fb job down as Jockey at ... she never worked for us. Her cv was so full of lies it wasn't even funny.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I agree with LL, the word is still very much used and viewed in a derogatory way. However I believe TPO was in the Outback (correct me if I'm wrong!) and the language is used much more loosely in those surrounds as slang/in the trades I find (along with many other "rude" words). Doesn't mean it is used in a complimentary on the whole though here, I wouldn't tolerate being called one or using the term in everyday conversation.

Thank you Northern.

The 'c' word is used here by people I'd rather not associate with, though sometimes one has no choice (in the workplace for instance). (Finally, steps were put in place where foul language was not allowed, but the bully who used that language had been turfed out by then.)

I live in the same area as Northern. I imagine that in the outback (as Northern stated) the 'c' word is flung about willy nilly. One is supposed to put up with it. I don't like that sort of caper.

It all depends on the company you keep. I don't like most swear words being used as adjectives, though I will say various ones if something has REALLY got my goat or I've just stubbed my toe on something vicious and unyielding, but the 'c' word is one that I never use.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Also, it's all about intent.

If someone deliberately uses foul language to belittle someone, that's not on. If a person uses it habitually but not trying to put someone down, I put that down to that being how they were brought up.

I doubt there is a single Australian who doesn't know what the 'c' word means here.

Muddywellies

Visit site
And yet again, standards drop even further ?. I am seeing that truly horrid 'C' word creep into everyday language, soon to become normal. I saw a different FB post using the C word, and a few people commented saying there was no need to use that word. Those comments were met with responses such as 'Lighten up'. I'm afraid I (and I guess many others) reported the post and it was taken down. Is it a generation thing?? Who knows, but I honestly wish people would just be a bit more respectful and watch their language. I'm no prude and indeed, at times can have a mild potty mouth myself, but that word makes my skin crawl.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I also got into a bit of an argument with a member of their show page. She had entered a pic and I questioned if it was actually her horse or if she had stollen the pics from other people again. She has used pics of me on her fb trying to pass them off as herself, she has used pics of friends of mine too. She is obsessed with racing, she applied for a job at the yard a few years ago and instantly put her fb job down as Jockey at ... she never worked for us. Her cv was so full of lies it wasn't even funny.

It amazes me that someone would have the balls to try and 'create' experience in order to get a job riding racehorses - as if that's something that isn't going to go horribly wrong. Lie to get an Office job yes, but to ride racehorses just seems dim to me!