Fear getting worse not better after an accident ....

monkeymad

Visit site
If its your own set up could you electric fence the field up and split the horses into more manageable groups? Or chuck some hay over the fence line to keep others occupied whilst you catch up the one you want?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours always come in in the same order and always have done, even when we had 5 and when we were at livery (only our horses in the field). If you don't actually want the first horse, just pop it in the stable and then take it back when you've got the one you do want.

SEL

Visit site
I have a safety area fenced off with electric fencing just inside the gate. It gives me room inside the gate without either horse barging around - esp as the Appy can get jealous and charge at the other one. They can charge at each other all they want the other side of the tape - i don't want to be squashed in the middle.

It also means I can lean over the tape to.put headcollars on if i have to.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, do you have proper wood or metal gates, or do you have electric gates?

I think that electric gates are the work of the devil. Trying to hold a horse in one hand and a flimsy piece of string or tape in the other is IMHO asking for trouble. The horse only need suspect that it may be about to get zapped and it will jink sideways or pull back.

Visit site
OP, do you have proper wood or metal gates, or do you have electric gates?

I think that electric gates are the work of the devil. Trying to hold a horse in one hand and a flimsy piece of string or tape in the other is IMHO asking for trouble. The horse only need suspect that it may be about to get zapped and it will jink sideways or pull back.

Metal gates, but with strips of tape running diagonally across the fronts of them. The internal fences are electrified so the little nightblind mare doesn't walk into things. I quite like having the little corner bits actually - if feet start flying I can go hide in the corner until everyone has decided that they are in fact horses, not hovercraft. ;)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
while it wouldn't address the root of the cause OP, what do you handle your horses in? hat? BP? I never used to but given where I keep mine and the fact I am always by myself, I generally wear an out of date hat for handling on the ground and I have a MH Bodyguard coat too-although a cheaper BP would suffice. Might make you feel a little more confident? A small tape corral is also a good idea and I have one in my field too.
By the sounds of it you should try and get a handle on it-here's a link to Ben Hart, its a cheaper option than TFT I would think but Jo Cooper is always worth an email for a chat as she's absolutely lovely.

http://www.hartshorsemanship.com/in...oughtUuid=85443538-163E-0BB7-C766026D2FF3ACDB

http://www.equestrianconfidence.com