Fed up of this weather!

SEL

Visit site
My wellies have started leaking and girl horse looks to be brewing her 2nd abscess of the winter. Plus I've just looked at tomorrow's forecast.

OH has gone out and left chocolate unattended. My need is greater than his!

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s the worse time of year to have a horse .
I am struggling to give my two the work they need .H the hunter is a good boy and is easy .
I get them started and settled and then the weather stops us again .
I have two Fatty and Tatts living out the field is awful in fact both the fields I am using are awful .
It’s snowed sat night ,wet snow , got up Sunday it had got colder and the whole place is covered in an icy crust still there today so sick of it all

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My mare has had a few weeks off now after having had some bloods run (which showed nothing abnormal!). I am yet to find inspiration to get back on board. Nearly did Saturday but after looking at the weather this week it seemed fairly pointless as I want a run of decent-ish days to resume work.

Struggling to push bales of hay up to the top field for my friend through the mud. My knees are not up to the job anymore. :(

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Supposed to be bringing one of mine back into work and thats not going well due thr stop start of the weather.

Though the elephant is happy that he has a duvet day today

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The trouble is we all got used to the last 2 winters which were easy, mild and especially last winter, dry.

It is lighter in mornings and afternoons now so the end is in sight. Stay positive ladies, we can do it.

Ted The Twit is now so bored he has taken to traffic watching whilst waiting for an unsuspecting footpath user to appear, he likes walkers they tend to be either muggable or able to be petrified.

29ek42f.jpg

SEL

Visit site
Chucked them both out on the mud pit this morning as it was to icy to ride and now its p'ing it down again. There were 12 ducks waddling around my field last night which just about summed it up. Their pond has overflowed, so they probably can't tell the difference between the pond and my field any longer - not sure I can either!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Chucked them both out on the mud pit this morning as it was to icy to ride and now its p'ing it down again. There were 12 ducks waddling around my field last night which just about summed it up. Their pond has overflowed, so they probably can't tell the difference between the pond and my field any longer - not sure I can either!

Just make sure you do know the difference, it would take time to rally the HHo troops to come and throw you a rope !

LaurenBay

Visit site
The trouble is we all got used to the last 2 winters which were easy, mild and especially last winter, dry.

It is lighter in mornings and afternoons now so the end is in sight. Stay positive ladies, we can do it.

Ted The Twit is now so bored he has taken to traffic watching whilst waiting for an unsuspecting footpath user to appear, he likes walkers they tend to be either muggable or able to be petrified.

29ek42f.jpg

Haha!! I bet most non Horsey walkers will be finding a different route!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Our poo picking is currently being done with a sturdy trug on a sledge. May be worth considering using a sledge to carry the hay?

You deserve a medal to be poo picking at this time of year. Would you like to borrow my cart horse to pull your sledge ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Mine are confined to barracks again today. Can understand why but it's so frustrating when I have two that really need turnout. Fortunately I have time to go hand walk and exercise through the day. My retired arthritic is struggling though cos even when they do go out the mud is difficult for her. Wish I could find better turnout but everywhere is the same round here. Picking up some bute, praying for an early spring and seriously considering her future for next winter. :sad:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Mine are confined to barracks again today. Can understand why but it's so frustrating when I have two that really need turnout. Fortunately I have time to go hand walk and exercise through the day. My retired arthritic is struggling though cos even when they do go out the mud is difficult for her. Wish I could find better turnout but everywhere is the same round here. Picking up some bute, praying for an early spring and seriously considering her future for next winter. :sad:

I tried Boswellia for my old boy, he is huge and coming 25. I noticed he would have a little struggle rising after rolling. He is 6 weeks in to using it and finding getting up easier.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Love the pic of Ted the twit!! I wonder how many walkers have taken a detour?!

Fortunately we have a hay delivery Fri which will eliminate the need to trudge through the mud, thanks for the idea though. Worth banking for future reference!

I'm still poo picking, although it's not as thorough as normal. The mud is swallowing it. :)

Alibear

Visit site
I'm in East Anglia so we're missing the worst of it but the cold and the wind are beyond a joke now. I really can't find the motivation to ride in the pitch dark, freezing cold with the wind howling, as when I do we don't manage to get anything productive done due to spooks and stiffness. I made the mistake of looking through the long range forecast on Metcheck yesterday, that's really depressing...

Laika

Visit site
I feel like the worst horse owner in the world, but I'm just about managing to bundle myself up and do basic jobs and free schooling him most nights! I feel like I'm forcing myself to ride... BRING ON SUMMER.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I tried Boswellia for my old boy, he is huge and coming 25. I noticed he would have a little struggle rising after rolling. He is 6 weeks in to using it and finding getting up easier.

Thank you. She's been on Devil's Claw for a while now and it has been really effective but just doesn't seem to be enough any more in this kind of weather. I may just be at the point where she needs maintaining on bute or danilon but if the vet thinks we're not quite there yet. I'll put Boswellia on the list of things to try.

C1airey

Visit site
I've given up. It's either too dark/slippery to ride on the roads or too boggy to use the bridleway. As soon as the sun does put in an appearance, all the horses are off their chumps thinking it's spring: we've already had one unplanned gallop. I've also taken to paying for child labour to poo pick. I'm done pushing heavy barrows of rain-sodden poo through a bog, or chipping away at poo-bergs frozen to the field.

We'll start again in March, when there's a bit more daylight, (hopefully) warmer temps and my day job is a little less demanding. Two more weeks...

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Absolutely brilliant pic of Ted on the lookout for unsuspecting walkers, at least it offers him a bit of light relief from the unrelenting rain, snow and mud. My rufty tufty highland has decided he doesnt want to go out every day, he would rather stand in his nice warm bedroom eating hay which muggins here obligingly puts right under his nose. Even my tough Scotsman is fed up with winter now :(

Suby2

Visit site
He left half hour ago. Please look after him, no blue smarties unless you want the sledge doing warp factor 10.

Excellent! No health and safety issues there. A bulk order of Smarties on the way. And as a bonus I will have something to do in the evenings removing/eating the blue ones.

Last edited:

Mrs B

Visit site
*backstrokes across thread blowing water fountains*

I knew it'd be wet when I moved to the West Country, but this is ridiculous ...

How many has Ted mugged today, AA?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
*backstrokes across thread blowing water fountains*

I knew it'd be wet when I moved to the West Country, but this is ridiculous ...

How many has Ted mugged today, AA?

None, it has rained from dawn until dusk here in middle England so he stayed in his barn and taught Dim Tim handy ways of annoying me and between them they demolished a round bale. He prefers to stay dry, idle and eat lots, owner is similar to be fair.

Mrs B

Visit site
He prefers to stay dry, idle and eat lots, owner is similar to be fair.

Amen to that! :) Have just scarfed two huge bowls of homemade chicken soup and toast and then chocolate myself ...

Hopefully the weather is going to start clearing as promised and Ted can show Dim Tim how to annoy random walkers rather than you.

But boy! are we getting through bedding and forage this year :/

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Bale and 2/3rd's of a bale (rounds) a week - 6 horses adlib. Double of the amount used last winter. Hubby just asked if I would like to go out for Valentines meal, i calculated how many bales of haylage we could buy for the cost of a nice meal and said no !

WelshD

Visit site
I've always said I wouldn't be the type of owner to keep mine in for days but this winter its been all too common! Luckily they can be walked or lunged so aren't completely cooped up.

I've broken my hand and my little borrowed jockey has broken her shoulder

We are muddling through but I do feel like a bad owner this winter