Feed advice please! Muscle building...

kirstie

Visit site
I am currently bringing my horse back into work after a 6 week break. She has been back in work now for two weeks, the first week was spent just in walk, in the school a little bit but mainly hacking. I introduced trot in the second week, gradually building it up- again in the school with slightly less hacking due to my work hours and less daylight hrs. I am going to start to introduce canter in the beginning of the 3rd week. I am riding 5-6 times a week.

She is a 9yr old Trakehner who I compete in dressage on, I am hoping to really concentrate on training over the winter and be out at Elementary early spring. We are behind in our training due to her taking a long time to physically and mentally mature and then having a long break off when I had an injury 3 years ago. It took me a long time to regain my confidence to ride ‘properly’ again- I now feel we are both ‘ready’ to really pick up the work and progress in our training.

She is a good doer in the summer but can tend to drop off over the winter if not carefully managed. She currently looks good, very shiny but I would not want her any lighter weight wise and I would really like to start building some muscle. In hindsight, she has always struggled to build muscle, despite being worked correctly, though not always as consistently as I would like. I am aiming to rectify the work issue from now on and want to ensure that her diet is correct and will maximise her muscle mass and support her weight through the winter.

She is currently on ½ scoop alfa A and ½ scoop high fibre nuts. She is out on good grass 8-9 hrs a day and currently has 10lbs of very good quality hay at night. She is sharp through the winter and feels the cold, so is well rugged. I would normally introduce sugar beet in the next few weeks when the grass looses goodness and obviously up the hay and other hard feed.

She will be worked 5-6 days a week through the winter; schooling, one hack a week and some lunging with draw reins.

I am open to any suggestions- thank you for reading if you got this far!

Fatkins

Visit site
How about adding Alfa-Beet instead of sugar beet? Alfa-Beet provides condition the same as sugarbeet, yet because it is made with alfalfa, it contains good quality protein at reasonably high levels (14%) so will be a good basis for muscle development when combined with work.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
How about adding Alfa-Beet instead of sugar beet? Alfa-Beet provides condition the same as sugarbeet, yet because it is made with alfalfa, it contains good quality protein at reasonably high levels (14%) so will be a good basis for muscle development when combined with work.

Wouldn't that be doubling up with feeding Alfa-A (which the horse is already getting)?

You could add micronised linseed. Great for condition, skin, hair and joints, as well as being a good source of protein. I feed it to my sharp horse and it doesn't fizz him up especially. My 15hh connie type (average-ish doer, loses weight if he is cold, stressed/nervous or working hard, doesn't put on much in the summer despite 24/7 access to good grazing) gets a mugful every day.

I'm currently feeding Dengie Healthy Tummy, which I think is a bit like Alfa-A but with a probiotic and a couple of other bits added, along with linseed. I'll add Speedibeet in the winter if he needs something more.

What about pole and cavaletti work, OP? That will help her to use herself correctly and should encourage correct muscle development.

Fatkins

Visit site
But if the horse is currently only being fed half a scoop of Alfa-A that's well below alfalfa 'allowances'. Even for a 10hh pony they can eat 1kg daily! Half a scoop isn't even 0.25kg.

kirstie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

I will be increasing the alfa A soon, I just want to get her working first before I increase it. The most I can up it to per feed is 1 scoop as she won't eat it- I forgot to add, she is quite fussy. She will only eat the alfa a if is is really mixed in well with the nuts, otherwise she will pick round it.

I was thinking about adding linseed, or maybe a lysine supplement but was wondering about completely changing what she gets.

Good idea re the pole work and caveletti, something I will definitely introduce. I am thinking of introducing a bit of jumping as well as the flat work gets harder to give her variety- I do not have good access to hacking.