Feed advice please...

juliehannah58

Visit site
Sorry I know this should be in the stable forum but thought I'd get more answers here....

I have just taken on a heavy weight ID mare. She was very overweight when she arrived but has been with me for 3 weeks now and has really lost a lot and got a lot fitter too. I now feel the time has come to put her on a feed which will give her a bit of energy, as she seems to tire quite quickly (when she wants to!). So I'm looking for advice on a feed that will increase energy, pref. slow release but will not be too conditioning - any ideas?

Also do you think now she is the required weight, she is getting enough?

She is fed the following twice a day:
1 Large scoop of Alfa A
2 mugs of D&H Pasture Mix
1 mug of Bran (as she had digestion problems in the past & vet recommended at the time, she is fine now though)
She also gets garlic & salt added

Out during the day for about 9 hours on good grass then in at night with a fairly big haynet (good quality hay) of about 3 sections from a small bale.

Any suggestions welcomed and I have never had to feed for energy before!
grin.gif

Thanks
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Best thing is to speak to the experts. Dodson & Horrell, Spillers etc all have advice lines. I've contacted them in the past and they've given good advice. The listen to what you are feeding already & tell you what they think. They don't try & move you to their lines the advice they offer is as impartial as it can be really. Try the link below:
http://www.allenandpage.com/default.htm
& then click on 'Need Advice'
Good Luck

galaxy

Visit site
Hi. I am by no means I feeding expert, but my hunch would be that no, you are not feeding her enough now she's lost the weight.

Your 2 mugs of pasture mix probably is the equivalent of half a big round scoop, which means that she is having one scoop a day, which is not enough for a horse that size.

Ring D&H, they are great for advice.