Feed advice please

Groom Mum

Visit site
My two boys came to me in Nov 15. They were in pretty good shape but my youngster couldn't hold his weight well. So I was advised by my vet to feed him the following twice a day: 500g mare and young stock handful alfalfa A and Hanful of chaff. My older one all the above but no mare and young stock. So now I'm noticing with 24 hr access to grass and a mixed haylege/ hay haynet they are looking quite tubby. i have cut the youngster down to 250g now instead of 500g but I'm wondering if I should cut the feeds out altogether now and just let them graze and give them a mixed haynet at night between them. Any ideas please ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If they are looking too well on the grass I would cut the feed out, if they still want to eat a hay net I would continue with that and see how they go, if they start dropping you can always add in 1 feed a day.

I do similar with mine they come in during the day and get a few small hay nets and 1 small feed in the morning if they seem hungry I just up the hay, my grass is really growing at the moment so they are quite happy grazing not that bothered about the hay.

supsup

Visit site
If you are feeding a vitamin supplement (I'm assuming it's an all-round vit& min supplement?) in addition to the feeds listed above, then I would keep the handful of chaff to feed the vitamin supplement in, and reduce all other feeds (including the hay/haylage, since they have 24 hour access to grass). The handful of alfa A or chaff will be relatively low in calories, so keeping a handful as a carrier for the vit&min supplement won't add a lot in the overall picture. The Mare and Youngstock will be most calorific, so I'd cut that out completely, and if they are on the tubby side, I wouldn't feed extra forage in the form of hay/haylage either. If they start dropping weight, I would restart feeding additional hay/haylage before adding more to their bucket feeds.